TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

I have a sneaky feeling that a lof of the musical numbers meant as homages to specific numbers in the classic MGM musicals, went right over a lot of fans heads. CBMers are not know for their love of classic musicals.

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Denial: The first stage of grieving.

I'm not denying it'll flop, but we don't have any weekend numbers and there was too much doomposting here like it's the worst movie ever made.

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Gremlins 2 actually got very good reviews, but the audiences just did not come.

That's not really true, audience score is still rotten on RT and critics reviews are just okay, and that's decades later, when reception improved over the years, it was worse when it was released, probably mixed/rotten by today's standards.

Edited by Firepower

Presales here in Denmark is pretty good. And i will see this tomorrow.

I can feel it my bones that it be 2-3/10 or a 9/10 for me. I generally hate musicals so lets see what happens

The budget was probably maximum 200 mill net allowed and they came in at like 198 mill or something. 199.95 mill. Lol. Lmao.

Even when I thought the movie would drop from the first but still be a healthy enough performance, I thought the budget increase was stupid. If the budget is bigger and they expect to make roughly the same amount, that's still less money in their pockets. So why not keep the budget lower. And now it's looking disastrous for WB. But Phillips and Phoenix managed to con WB out of 20 mill each instead of taking backend deals so they're not complaining. How much did Gaga get reportedly? 15 mill? 

1 minute ago, wattage said:

The budget was probably maximum 200 mill net allowed and they came in at like 198 mill or something. 199.95 mill. Lol. Lmao.

Even when I thought the movie would drop from the first but still be a healthy enough performance, I thought the budget increase was stupid. If the budget is bigger and they expect to make roughly the same amount, that's still less money in their pockets. So why not keep the budget lower. And now it's looking disastrous for WB. But Phillips and Phoenix managed to con WB out of 20 mill each instead of taking backend deals so they're not complaining. How much did Gaga get reportedly? 15 mill? 

Like Michael Keaton, they got paid so they don't care. This is on WB for paying them that much.

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Like Michael Keaton, they got paid so they don't care. This is on WB for paying them that much.

To this very day I still don't know who these people were that made WB so confident that they beleived anyone cared to see Michael Keaton as Batman again.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And add in the money spent on marketing..which for various reasons is not charged directly to the movie....and we are looking at a cost at least 250 Million...probably more.

Usually marketing budgets for such big blockbuster is a significant percentage of their production costs. For a hypothetical movie with a 200m production budget, it’s marketing costs will be much higher than just 50m. Would be closer to 100m (or perhaps more) than it would be to 50m

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Usually marketing budgets for such big blockbuster is a significant percentage of their production costs. For a hypothetical movie with a 200m production budget, it’s marketing costs will be much higher than just 50m. Would be closer to 100m (or perhaps more) than it would be to 50m

I said at least 259 Million. Probably should have said between  250 and 300  Million when you addin markeitng.

It is significent percentage of the all in costs for a movie, but Marketing is not carried on the actual production budget, but on a seperate budget. For some Hollywood  Accounting reason.

Everything about this sounds like Philips and Phoenix wanted nothing to do with a sequel, but WB wrote a $20 mil check to both they couldn't turn down. So they came up with a concept they knew would be divisive and made damn sure a 3rd film wouldn't happen nor audiences be interested in one. 

53 minutes ago, AJG said:

To this very day I still don't know who these people were that made WB so confident that they beleived anyone cared to see Michael Keaton as Batman again.

I maintain that there WAS interest...but they underestimated that the appeal was not Keaton, but Keaton WITH Burton's vision. Remove the Burton and you lose what made him unique.

• Like 1