TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

I'm going tonight to get a crowd report and weigh in on whether Todd Phillips is a hack (likely) or whether the movie is him trying to reclaim the original film or whatever (would be hilarious for many reasons including his payday).

I already know what I think the answer is but I'll only truly know when I see this thing. I haven't read any spoilers so I'm going in blind. The more people say movies are the worst things ever the more I have to check for myself to see if people are exaggerating or if it really is that bad. Usually it's exaggeration and I'm happy I could form my own opinion and sometimes it's me in a theater watching Megalopolis and feeling my brain melt. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Opium said:

Changing mind on doing a sequel is not a big deal, the problem is that you would think there was a valid idea behind it in order to switch, not to mention they had lot of time to develop something good given it wasn't a rushed sequel.

There's one very big reason why they changed their minds on doing a sequel.

See, my theory is they should have tried to have tied Joker into the larger Gotham City mythos here more than what the film's reported ending does, which is more a troll of the Joker/Arthur Fleck fanbase than anything else.

Also, HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO A MOVIE WITH MAINLY COURT SCENES AND HAVE IT COST 190 MIL!!!>>??? Was Todd Phillips wiping his ass with gold leaf toilet paper????

Edited by MightyDargon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Seems easy sequel though

You have a fully unhinged Joker go against Harvey Dent or something 

See, you're thinking of it rationally in terms of what people spending money on a Joker would've wanted. Have the first third of the movie be Arthur just being stuck in Arkham and totally wailed on, humilated, tortured and beaten by the orderlies and his fellow inmates while Arthur occasionally flashes back to Harvey convicting him. But THEN he totally snaps and loses track with reality in a montage to Phil Collins "Tonight Tonight Tonight" and he disassociates with his past and forgets "Arthur Fleck" ever even existed. Now that he IS Joker, he recruits some other inmates (including Victor Zzasz and Harley) in an escape scheme and they do a sort of Great Escape thingy in the second third. THEN, in the final third, they seize upon a plan to overthrow Gotham City's law enforcement and reduce the city to chaos. Joker confronts Harvey at the end (after a wild melee where cops and Joker followers alike are slain) and says he's gonna make Harvey suffer like he did in Arkham. Harvey survives but is horribly scarred, and is so psychologically wounded that he ends up in Arkham in the very same room where Joker was. Cut to Joker dance walking away into the night, leaving behind a weird laughter that echoes throughout Gotham.

THE END

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

See, you're thinking of it rationally in terms of what people spending money on a Joker would've wanted. Have the first third of the movie be Arthur just being stuck in Arkham and totally wailed on, humilated, tortured and beaten by the orderlies and his fellow inmates while Arthur occasionally flashes back to Harvey convicting him. But THEN he totally snaps and loses track with reality in a montage to Phil Collins "Tonight Tonight Tonight" and he disassociates with his past and forgets "Arthur Fleck" ever even existed. Now that he IS Joker, he recruits some other inmates (including Victor Zzasz and Harley) in an escape scheme and they do a sort of Great Escape thingy in the second third. THEN, in the final third, they seize upon a plan to overthrow Gotham City's law enforcement and reduce the city to chaos. Joker confronts Harvey at the end (after a wild melee where cops and Joker followers alike are slain) and says he's gonna make Harvey suffer like he did in Arkham. Harvey survives but is horribly scarred, and is so psychologically wounded that he ends up in Arkham in the very same room where Joker was. Cut to Joker dance walking away into the night, leaving behind a weird laughter that echoes throughout Gotham.

THE END

lol you know a product is flawed when people online can write a better story. 

Phillips only making this only for the money wouldn't be at all shocking considering what cash grabs his Hangover sequels were. Maybe not quite Michael Bay levels of obvious lack of overall ambition (Bay even admitted that he only stuck with the Transformers series until it flopped cause they were easy paychecks), but not far off either.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Phillips only making this only for the money wouldn't be at all shocking considering what cash grabs his Hangover sequels were. Maybe not quite Michael Bay levels of obvious lack of overall ambition (Bay even admitted that he only stuck with the Transformers series until it flopped cause they were easy paychecks), but not far off either.

Bay seems was auto pilot for TF 4 and 5. Tf 2 I think suffered from bad ideas, I dont Bay was being lazy there.

Imo Bay put in some actual effort in Transformers 3 at least and why its seen as more favourably then TF 2,4,5...

Tf3 cgi is better then many recent blockbusters ironically lolz

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

THE END

That sounds awful.

• Like 2

Here's an interesting quote from this article written one month after the release of the first film:

Working with a budget of $55 million — just a fraction of the typical comic-book movie — Phillips and Phoenix pushed each other to delve ever deeper into Fleck’s complex, disturbed psyche. From the start, they felt there was more than enough to uncover. “In the second or third week of shooting, I was like, ‘Todd, can you start working on a sequel? There’s way too much to explore,’ ” Phoenix says. “It was kind of in jest — but not really.”

Phillips makes it clear there is nothing in the works at the moment, but he’s not opposed to the idea of a sequel. “But it couldn’t just be this wild and crazy movie about the ‘Clown Prince of Crime,’ ” he says. “It would have to have some thematic resonance in a similar way that this does. Because I think that’s ultimately why the movie connected, it’s what’s going on underneath. So many movies are about the spark, and this is about the powder. If you could capture that again in a real way, that would be interesting.