TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Why are we blaming this on Gaga, again ? She is like the last person that should  be held accountable. 

In any case the musical aspect is what I think turned people away. I can’t count in how many conversations I’ve been where people are having second thoughts the second they hear it’s a musical.

On 10/5/2024 at 1:31 AM, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Could licensing music be the reason?

No. It does not cost that much to license the songs the movie uses. Hell, even small time nightclub singers can afford to licence songs  you heard in the film. THye are standards, standards are cheap.

But why this film cost 200 Million is good question, it certainly did not show up on the screen.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

God, people are still bringing up Zack Snyder unprompted, just so they can vent about how he “destroyed” DC? 

I find the Snyderfanboys who still insist the Snyderverse was a huge sucess to be just annoyning.

15 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Why are we blaming this on Gaga, again ? She is like the last person that should  be held accountable. 

In any case the musical aspect is what I think turned people away. I can’t count in how many conversations I’ve been where people are having second thoughts the second they hear it’s a musical.

WHich is a bit sad, making this a musical was an interesint idea.

Problem is that Phillips messed it up so bad.

One of my issues with "geeks" is they seem so uninteresteed in anything that is not geeky.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There was a very real time immediately after Star is Born where she was believed to be a big draw and it just...has not panned out since.

Dude for someone who historically on this forum gets mad every time someone says anything negative about some MCU movie, you’re trying too hard to start fan wars in this thread.

Interesting article. 

Gaga is barely talked (for obvious reasons), it discuss way more the other people involved, but ultimately it seems like WB will just accept the fail and move on without making a scene internally.

Funny tho that Todd just take a vacation before this weekend lol, he knew what was coming.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/joker-folie-a-deux-who-blame-dc-1236025585/

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There was a very real time immediately after Star is Born where she was believed to be a big draw and it just...has not panned out since.

Gaga got Ridley's House of Gucci north of $150m in 2021 when R-rated dramas were not exactly lighting the world on fire during another COVID wave ("Close to 40% of the audience said they came out for Lady Gaga, while 32% cited the ensemble cast" - Deadline). By comparison, Ridley launched an even more expensive R-rated drama with Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Ben Affleck in the same frame and it makes Joker 2 look like a home run.

I'm not sure anyone in the role of Lee could have saved J: FAD. Gaga's polling for audiences was 39% which is pretty close to Phoenix so she certainly helped draw what little traffic they got. It's not really fair to pin this on any one person that is not Todd Phillips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Interesting article. 

Gaga is barely talked (for obvious reasons), it discuss way more the other people involved, but ultimately it seems like WB will just accept the fail and move on without making a scene internally.

Funny tho that Todd just take a vacation before this weekend lol, he knew what was coming.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/joker-folie-a-deux-who-blame-dc-1236025585/

At least for now. I got a feeling zaslev is going not have a fun time at the stockholders meeting, given Warners overall is not having a good year, particualy with the billions of dollars loss with streaming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Phillips career average on Metacritic is 51, which is atrocious. His only film above 59 is The Hangover with 73. Snyder and him, have 24 combined movies on MC and only one is above 60. The only ''genius'' thing Phillips has ever done is aping two classic films (The Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy) and calling it a day.

Yeah, and Reeves aped Se7en and Zodiac, and called it a day. McTiernan's Predator is 47 on Metacritic, Carpenter's The Thing is 57 on MC. Lower than Captain Marvel and Ant-Man 2 by the way. Throwing Metacritic like it means anything is just dumb. 300 is pretty iconic film and it doesn't really matter if critics didn't like it much, it's still a win in Snyder's book.

39 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I find the Snyderfanboys who still insist the Snyderverse was a huge sucess to be just annoyning.

Snyderfanboys” weren’t the ones who brought him up. These forums love to use him as a scapegoat every time a DC thing fails. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Thinking Zack Snyder and Todd Phillips are ''creative geniuses'' is why DC is at the bottom of the barrel and has been there since Nolan finished his trilogy. 

Phillips career average on Metacritic is 51, which is atrocious. His only film above 59 is The Hangover with 73. Snyder and him, have 24 combined movies on MC and only one is above 60. The only ''genius'' thing Phillips has ever done is aping two classic films (The Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy) and calling it a day.

Baffling comparison when WB dropped Snyder over an 800 million WW movie not making a billion while the studio's putting out a defense of Todd Phillips article after he's going to lose them millions but go on I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Baffling comparison when WB dropped Snyder over an 800 million WW movie not making a billion while the studio's putting out a defense of Todd Phillips article after he's going to lose them millions but go on I guess.

The loss will be $200M+, basically deleting WB's 50% share of the original Joker's profit ($437M). Ouch.

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Interesting article. 

But when asked who the intended audience was, one outside source sums it up this way: “For Joaquin.”

joker-laugh.gif

• Haha 4