TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Incels get to pretend they are the Joker and have a woman like Gaga being in love with them. Incels will each watch this 10 times each and get this to a billion.

It will be another huge hit in Japan.

Or this will be like another crazy clown movie part 2 like IT and drops 1/3 from the orginal and everyone will say that's OK and move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Incels get to pretend they are the Joker and have a woman like Gaga being in love with them. Incels will each watch this 10 times each and get this to a billion.

It will be another huge hit in Japan.

Or this will be like another crazy clown movie part 2 like IT and drops 1/3 from the orginal and everyone will say that's OK and move on.

Huge hit? First one while it did pretty well didn't even make top 10 of the year.

35 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Huge hit? First one while it did pretty well didn't even make top 10 of the year.

Considering the track record that DC movies tend to have in Japan, it might as well be considered a huge hit. 

Anyway, if hiding the musical aspect backfired on the Mean Girls remake, I imagine it would backfire especially bad here. 

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Considering the track record that DC movies tend to have in Japan, it might as well be considered a huge hit. 

Anyway, if hiding the musical aspect backfired on the Mean Girls remake, I imagine it would backfire especially bad here. 

It didn't have an impact. 75% of viewers knew it was a musical.

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-mean-girls-viewers-disappointed-movie-was-a-musical-paramount-2024-1#:~:text=While 75% of respondents said,9% were neutral about it.

I don't know why this forum expects trailers for musicals to be blasting the music 24/7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It absolutely would not indicate that it's a musical if you didn't already know it.

The point he's making is we should wait until the trailer/teaser drops tonight before we judge whether or not they are trying to "hide" the fact that this is a musical and that it is premature to judge off a 20+sec preview of a teaser.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The point he's making is we should wait until the trailer/teaser drops tonight before we judge whether or not they are trying to "hide" the fact that this is a musical and that it is premature to judge off a 20+sec preview of a teaser.

But what about the #content

14 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

We still have no idea how much music is in the movie. So it isn’t fair to complain about how little music there is in a 30 second teaser.

I think it is a fair debate about how much this is a musical or not as those exist very much on a spectrum, from "film with occasional songs" to "songs that drive/showcase the plot" to "full on Busby Berkeley Musical numbers".

Not that I wish to get into a big, ahem, song and dance about definition of terms.  But I do think noting that these things are relative is, as I said, fair.  Right now do think it is an open question as to where this film falls within said spectrum as I've seen inconsistent reporting on this.

Isn't helped by the fact that "musical" is in fact such a slippery, hard to define, say the term and different examples come to mind thing.  What is a "musical" for one person, isn't for another. 

Or rather what is an objectionable musical (which is what all of this is dancing around) is very much a subjective thing.  After all, how many folks complain about the musical elements in the animated version of Aladdin?  Family targeted animation does get something of a pass, but it still shows how, again here comes those words, relative and subjective all of this is.

Edited by Porthos

I really have no idea why so many people expect this to fail lol 

I mean sure, to make a billion again it needs great reception, maybe it won’t get that for many reasons including the musical aspect, let’s see. I can see a drop for sure.

But the hype clearly exists, it will open very big, likely way bigger than the first one, which is enough to prevail a failure even if the reception isn’t as good as the first movie

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I really have no idea why so many people expect this to fail lol 

I mean sure, to make a billion again it needs great reception, maybe it won’t get that for many reasons including the musical aspect, let’s see. I can see a drop for sure.

But the hype clearly exists, it will open very big, likely way bigger than the first one, which is enough to prevail a failure even if the reception isn’t as good as the first movie

I think it's more that the budget is massive compared to the 1st and the fact studios hate marketing musicals

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

How do you hide 15-17 songs? 

That's why I don't think it'll be "hidden" per se., though as @ChipDerby notes how much of those songs we actually see on screen is still unknown.  Could just be snippets/partial version of those songs.

Have some other thoughts, but I'm going to do the radical thing and actually wait until the teaser/trailer drops before commenting further. 

Edited by Porthos

4 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Go get paid Joaquin. You’ve earned it.

He has been paid. 2O million, and on top of that no doubt he has a piece of the gross.

19 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I think it's more that the budget is massive compared to the 1st and the fact studios hate marketing musicals

Yeah, but even with 200M it would have to do sub 600M to be considered a fail, i really don’t see this 

If it’s divisive among audiences i think 750-800M with a very big OW is the more probable scenario. If it’s well received, 1B

• Like 1