TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Idk if spoilers are allowed in spoiler tags yet but just found out that this movie includes a song that’s just completely nonsensical of them to include. Like, just that one choice kinda ruined any hope I had this would at least be interesting

Edited by lorddemaxus

rumor says that the movie could be released nearly one week after the 7-day national day public holiday, probably on oct. 11. and oct. 12 will be a work day due to the days in lieu arrangements in china. so it's not a good sign for the box office boom in china, and it's obvious that Chinese audience won't be excited to see a film full of courtroom trials and overloaded lines.

27 minutes ago, leoh said:

however, it’s interesting to note that I’m Still Here, The Room Next Door and Queer are almost every list top 3, including on reviews aggregators like RT and Metacritic. Probably the three favorites for the Golden Lion this year.

the president of the Jury is Isabelle Huppert and then other members are James Gray, Andrew Heigh ...i definitely see Almodovar with a prize. Probably queer too. Then i don't know if they have pressures of any kind of they are completely free but seems a jury with a very specific taste so can be surprising and not predictable because of what a grid shows. 

Edited by vale9001

I dont think its a crazy take to think Joker 2 could have a massive dropoff rom the first movie.  All the big hits this summer gave fans more of the same Inside Out2, D&W, Bad Boys, DM4.  I watched Twister/Twisters in 4DX this weekend and watching the movies back to back Twisters is a basically a beat for beat remake....I didnt even like Twisters when I first watched it but in 4DX it was a lot of fun, people were clapping and laughing, a great theater experience.  Beetlejuice is going to be a hit this weekend giving fans more of the same.

Joker 2 is doing the exact opposite of what made the first movie a hit.  I give WB credit for giving Phillips a bunch of money and saying do whatever you want. A 50% drop in the worldwide box office wouldnt surprise me....if the film is a musical/courtroom drama.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I dont think its a crazy take to think Joker 2 could have a massive dropoff rom the first movie.  All the big hits this summer gave fans more of the same Inside Out2, D&W, Bad Boys, DM4.  I watched Twister/Twisters in 4DX this weekend and watching the movies back to back Twisters is a basically a beat for beat remake....I didnt even like Twisters when I first watched it but in 4DX it was a lot of fun, people were clapping and laughing, a great theater experience.  Beetlejuice is going to be a hit this weekend giving fans more of the same.

Joker 2 is doing the exact opposite of what made the first movie a hit.  I give WB credit for giving Phillips a bunch of money and saying do whatever you want. A 50% drop in the worldwide box office wouldnt surprise me....if the film is a musical/courtroom drama.

This movie is so hyped will make 300M WW in the first weekend (well like 5-6 days in most countries not just 3 days).

You cant'really think is gonna make the 60% of the total in the first weekend even if divisive. 

It's not doing half of the first one, that's just crazy talk based on initial panic, the first one adjusts to 1.312+ bln without China, there's no chance it's doing less than 800 mln with China as the worst case scenario, the first one is a hugely popular film among GA, unaware Joe doesn't care or know if it's 90% on RT or 60%, popularity of the first one alone should give it a big opening weekend. Fans of the first one will see it no matter what, haters of the first one will see it just to be a part of discourse and loudly complain about it on social media, Gaga fans will see it for their queen, average Joe will see it because he watched the first one. Just wait for pre-sales.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk if spoilers are allowed in spoiler tags yet but just found out that this movie includes a song that’s just completely nonsensical of them to include. Like, just that one choice kinda ruined any hope I had this would at least be interesting

You can use spoiler tags here. It’s only in the weekend/weekday threads where they are not allowed for new movies

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's not doing half of the first one, that's just crazy talk based on initial panic, the first one adjusts to 1.312+ bln without China, there's no chance it's doing less than 800 mln with China as the worst case scenario, the first one is a hugely popular film among GA, unaware Joe doesn't care or know if it's 90% on RT or 60%, popularity of the first one alone should give it a big opening weekend. Fans of the first one will see it no matter what, haters of the first one will see it just to be a part of discourse and loudly complain about it on social media, Gaga fans will see it for their queen, average Joe will see it because he watched the first one. Just wait for pre-sales.

No doubt about th first weekend but legs are important. The part about "haters" watching anyways or people fan of the first movie will watch anyways is not 100% true. 

WOM will be important and while should reach 800M anyways i don't see that as worst scenario but kinda of best scenario right now.

Cause comments really presents a movie It's not for the fans of the first movie or cine comic fans. And I don't think lady Gaga fans really impact the box office of a big movie. Especially in the long run and not the First weekend 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

No doubt about th first weekend but legs are important. The part about "haters" watching anyways or people fan of the first movie will watch anyways is not 100% true. 

WOM will be important and while should reach 800M anyways i don't see that as worst scenario but kinda of best scenario right now.

It's not outright panned like Batman vs Superman to have horrible legs and a giant drop off the first one, very divisive movies can have good legs because people who liked it really liked it. I just don't see it having x2 multi even with some questionable choices.

I just saw the guy claiming he hated the first one so much he walked out of it and yet he still rushed to see a sequel to walk out again. Big brain moment, right? But he's not the only one, there are people who will pay money to be very toxic again.

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Cause comments really presents a movie It's not for the fans of the first movie or cine comic fans. And I don't think lady Gaga fans really impact the box office of a big movie. Especially in the long run and not the First weekend 

Gaga fans are just part of the audience.

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's not outright panned like Batman vs Superman to have horrible legs and a giant drop off the first one, very divisive movies can have good legs because people who liked it really liked it. I just don't see it having x2 multi even with some questionable choices.

I just saw the guy claiming he hated the first one so much he walked out of it and yet he still rushed to see a sequel to walk out again. Big brain moment, right? But he's not the only one, there are people who will pay money to be very toxic again.

Gaga fans are just part of the audience.

I don't care about how panned is or is not. Right now is not a panned movie. I'm more interested about what critics or people write about the movie, more than a comparisons 53 on metacritic vs 59 or whatever, these kinda of things are almost every time useless and don't make sense to do It with different movies released in different times and contexts etc ..

For what i'm getting (then of course i can be wrong) the movie will not be liked by the GA loved the first One because It's 1) a true musical and people are complaining at some point they hoped for an end for pointless musical numbers 2) the movie kinda try to subvert the meaning of the first movie and everything people liked of that (so the same anti woke mainstream etc...audience defended the first movie could hate this 3) very few action scenes 4) a plot is not interesting and seems more like a spin off than a sequel.

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

3) very few action scenes

So just like the first one?

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

seems more like a spin off than a sequel.

How is it a spin off if it's a direct continuation with the same lead character?

From what I saw, reviews are all over the place, they complan about and praise the same things, some claim it's brave and an improvement over the first one, some claim it's not brave enough and much worse than the first one. There's no real consensus other than it's divisive and people perceive the same stuff in the opposite way.

43 minutes ago, Firepower said:

From what I saw, reviews are all over the place, they complan about and praise the same things, some claim it's brave and an improvement over the first one, some claim it's not brave enough and much worse than the first one. There's no real consensus other than it's divisive and people perceive the same stuff in the opposite way.

Just like ARTpop.

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I guess the mixed reception can still be a marketing hook in its own way. "WHICH SIDE WILL YOU END UP ON?"

Yourself

or

A troll behind a keyboard

Spoiler

Just to be clear in case anyone takes it seriously this is not me calling critics trolls this is a gotti reference

32 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I guess the mixed reception can still be a marketing hook in its own way. "WHICH SIDE WILL YOU END UP ON?"

Seems like the perfect time for a divisive are you on this side or that side movie to come out. No relation to any thing else going at all...

Honestly, this making less than its predecessor wouldn't be a shock and was probably bound to happen regardless. Sequels to movies that were such "lightning in a bottle" hits to the point that they overperformed even the studio's highest expectations (see: Alice in Wonderland '10, IT: Chapter 1, etc....even Phillips' own The Hangover: Part II ended up making less overall than the first movie despite opening infinitely higher) are prone to drops due to having no room to grow, and there's no real hook to this beyond the stunt casting of Gaga. Plus, it's been 5 years since the first, which itself was clearly conceived as a standalone movie that didn't demand a sequel.

It's just a question as to how much of the audience it'll end up bleeding.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

even Phillips' own The Hangover: Part II ended up making less overall than the first movie despite opening infinitely higher)

You mean domestic or worldwide? Because worldwide Part II had a sizable increase over Part I.

Edited by Firepower