Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

26 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Though, as a Marvel fan, it is still much more fun to see a gigantic bomb than boring meh $550-650M gross

Hi.  SW fan here. 👋

No.  No it really isn't. 

Lots of folks are having fun gravedancing here, and knock yourselves out.  But as I and other who have suffered through horrific bombs can tell you (and, no, I WON'T tag them [but they know who they are]), suffering through a gigantic bomb can be NO FUN AT ALL and can lead one to take a looooooong time off of box office watching.

Just something to remember that while a lot of folks are getting their kicks right now, others aren't having a good time.  At all.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Hi.  SW fan here. 👋

No.  No it really isn't. 

Lots of folks are having fun gravedancing here, and knock yourselves out.  But as I and other who have suffered through horrific bombs can tell you (and, no, I WON'T tag them [but they know who they are]), suffering through a gigantic bomb can be NO FUN AT ALL and can lead one to take a looooooong time off of box office watching.  Again, the people who are perhaps lurking on this thread know who they a

Just something to remember that while a lot of folks are getting their kicks right now, others aren't having a good time.  At all.

I hope Marvel doesn't overreact to the floppage. That's how DC ended up getting a Justice League movie open under $100m DOM. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

I hope Marvel doesn't overreact to the floppage. That's how DC ended up getting a Justice League movie open under $100m DOM. 

Personally I don't think they will.  Hell, I personally think they started the course correct after AM3 and what we're seeing right now is one of the side-effects (alongside a perfect storm of circumstances which I might get into later).

I just wanted to remind this thread that there are people who are very much looking forward to this movie and aren't happy at all about how it's going to do.  

I also wanted to remind this thread that box office bombs can hurt.  Hell, I don't remember the exact amount of time, but I can tell you all I personally took a good long siesta from this board post-Solo (and a much shorter one post TROS).

So, yeah.  It's all fun and games.  Except for the folks who it isn't.

Not that I'm trying to be a killjoy here.  As I said, knock yourselves out.  Just... Just remember not everyone is having as good a time as @HummingLemon496. 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I've noticed a lot of the forum's biggest Marvel fanboys aren't really around right now. the few that are here and sticking to this thread like those Japanese soldiers that were never told the war was over.

Why on earth would most of them even want to post here in this thread right now?

Do you see me posting in various SW movie threads?  For my own sanity I made a personal rule to check out of an SW movie thread until cameras start rolling (and possibly not even then). With very very minor exceptions, I've stuck to that.  Better for my mental health that way.

So, yeah, many of the Marvel fans have Checked Out of this thread.  Can you blame them?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Why on earth would most of them even want to post here in this thread right now?

Do you see me posting in various SW movie threads?  For my own sanity I made a personal rule to check out of an SW movie thread until cameras start rolling (and possibly not even then). With very very minor exceptions, I've stuck to that.  Better for my mental health that way.

So, yeah, many of the Marvel fans have Checked Out of this thread.  Can you blame them?

i don't care i'm just making fun of the ones still around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I've noticed a lot of the forum's biggest Marvel fanboys aren't really around right now. the few that are here and sticking to this thread like those Japanese soldiers that were never told the war was over.

When BOT’s moderation does its damn hardest to make this message board an unwelcoming place to MCU fans, it’s no wonder that people will end up talking about the film and its box office numbers somewhere else. When even people that are long time posters here are treated like absolute shit, what is the hope for a new MCU fan browsing around here? The answer that BOT through its moderation team is sending to people interested in this film is loud and clear: don’t even bother post here, because it’s just some thinly veiled franchise wars shit next to another. It’s on the title, after all: abandon all hope ye who enter. It’s a playground, but not for those actually interested in the film. At all. 

And I ask, for what? For ‘new’ users like this which was rightfully pointed out days ago?

On 10/30/2023 at 7:20 PM, Arlborn said:

You joined this forum two weeks ago, as of this moment you have 59 posts, of which only 6 are outside of this thread, and out of those 6 posts, 4 are actually about The Marvels.

Every single one of those posts are negative, and you are telling us that only now you have noticed that you might hate this movie?

brie larson no GIF by Saturday Night Live

Or to become a mockery on some incel website with posts clearly made by someone that clearlu is an active poster here?

https://rdrama.net/h/kino/post/214604/neurodivergent-long-effortpost-i-dont-think?sort=new

The MCU is likely not going away in our lifetimes. Neither the MCU fans. Just like the Star Wars fans before them. What is a shame is how this small community has deteriorated itself, it used to be a cool place. But clearly, if people don’t feel welcome here, they will find somewhere else where they can have a civil conversation without people constantly poisoning the well. Anyway, back to Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and pizza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Knock It Off 3

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

What would be the point in staying?

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't care i'm just making fun of the ones still around. 

Making fun of them for...posting in a public thread. Incredible. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

When BOT’s moderation does its damn hardest to make this message board an unwelcoming place to MCU fans, it’s no wonder that people will end up talking about the film and its box office numbers somewhere else. When even people that are long time posters here are treated like absolute shit, what is the hope for a new MCU fan browsing around here? The answer that BOT through its moderation team is sending to people interested in this film is loud and clear: don’t even bother post here, because it’s just some thinly veiled franchise wars shit next to another. It’s on the title, after all: abandon all hope ye who enter. It’s a playground, but not for those actually interested in the film. At all. 

And I ask, for what? For ‘new’ users like this which was rightfully pointed out days ago?

Or to become a mockery on some incel website with posts clearly made by someone that clearlu is an active poster here?

https://rdrama.net/h/kino/post/214604/neurodivergent-long-effortpost-i-dont-think?sort=new

The MCU is likely not going away in our lifetimes. Neither the MCU fans. Just like the Star Wars fans before them. What is a shame is how this small community has deteriorated itself, it used to be a cool place. But clearly, if people don’t feel welcome here, they will find somewhere else where they can have a civil conversation without people constantly poisoning the well. Anyway, back to Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and pizza.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Personally I don't think they will.  Hell, I personally think they started the course correct after AM3 and what we're seeing right now is one of the side-effects (alongside a perfect storm of circumstances which I might get into later).

I just wanted to remind this thread that there are people who are very much looking forward to this movie and aren't happy at all about how it's going to do.  

I also wanted to remind this thread that box office bombs can hurt.  Hell, I don't remember the exact amount of time, but I can tell you all I personally took a good long siesta from this board post-Solo (and a much shorter one post TROS).

So, yeah.  It's all fun and games.  Except for the folks who it isn't.

Not that I'm trying to be a killjoy here.  As I said, knock yourselves out.  Just... Just remember not everyone is having as good a time as @HummingLemon496. 🙂 

Yes. Some of us come to peace and accept that the MCU is not in a great place right now and really are not happy about it. I get it some of you are over the MCU or never liked it in the first place. Fine but I as I said yesterday some of it comes off as really ghoulish IMHO.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Hi.  SW fan here. 👋

No.  No it really isn't. 

Lots of folks are having fun gravedancing here, and knock yourselves out.  But as I and other who have suffered through horrific bombs can tell you (and, no, I WON'T tag them [but they know who they are]), suffering through a gigantic bomb can be NO FUN AT ALL and can lead one to take a looooooong time off of box office watching.

I've personally stopped engaging with online Star Wars fandom post-Skywalker. I enjoy the Disney+ shows and I get bummed out whenever I pop my head into any thread about those shows.

I'm not a superfan of the MCU, but I'm not really excited by the prospect of The Marvels bombing, especially considering which groups will consider it a "win."

• Like 3

Everything screams generic / lackluster , regarding this movie. The lack of energy / excitement is very obvious. 

The clip released yesterday was laughable and not in a good way. I'm getting Quantumania vibes here, which is always a bad sign. 

By the way, what's going on with Brie Larson? I'm being honest. I'm watching some interviews and videos on youtube and boy, she really needs a PR to tell her how to answer some questions. She's a great actress and a beautiful woman, but she doesn't know how to act in front of someone interviewing her.

I've just watched her answer about playing Captain Marvel, where she says "I don't know. Does anyone want me to do it again?". That was a very bad and petty answer, imo. 

So, how did the whole "Brie Larson hate" start? I'm being honest. I keep hearing so many people saying men are afraid of strong female protagonists, but that's definitely false. There are lots of movies and even games featuring women as protagonists / main characters and they have been loved by male audiences.  Characters like Sarah Connor, Ripley, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Selene, Black Widow and so on have been loved by almost entire audiences. These are female characters that got full franchises around them, which means they were and they are loved.

I could tell tons of movies and games featuring women as protagonists and they didn't get a single insult towards them for having women as protagonists. Men definitely aren't afraid of women as protagonists. So, what's going on with Captain Marvel? Yes, I'm asking a serious question. 

Is there charisma ( or lack of it ) involved? Is Brie way too much serious? Something not clicking with how her character is written? Her answers during interviews? Really curious on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

What is a shame is how this small community has deteriorated itself, it used to be a cool place. But clearly, if people don’t feel welcome here, they will find somewhere else where they can have a civil conversation without people constantly poisoning the well.

This is precisely the type of thing that left untreated will fester and slowly erode a community like this one, driving away members and productive engagement.

It should be relatively easy to track down which members made their way in here from that place, if the willingness to do so is there. But I'm honestly not sure anymore if the willingness to do it is even there at the moment. I suspect it might not be.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4