Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm gonna dispute Majors being a factor on the box office. People on here were saying his arrest would hurt Guardians, when it didn't have any visible impact on Creed 3, a movie he was actually in.

Creed 3 was not a family movie...different rules apply to adults' only fare.  And Creed 3 had 2 prior huge hits, and offered a $5 PLF ticket to 80M people.  All those things helped salvage its box office.

Disney, to this day, has never offered a $5 all-in PLF ticket to its "Disney" labeled movies.  Disney doesn't do discounts to push fence sitters.

That's probably really gonna blow up here, b/c this movie is one that probably could have been salvaged if GA had $5 tickets.  It's the one thing that can save mediocre, tired sequels...those movies tend to get the biggest bang for their buck for those TMobile deals...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Creed 3 was not a family movie..

...isn't it? I mean it has violence, it's a boxing movie, but I don't think there's anything in any of the Rocky films as violent as a characters face literally being ripped off in Guardians 3, so if that's a family movie idk why Creed can't be.

T-5 days until release.

The big question is how much the strike is hurting this movie?

I'm sure people know it's coming out, but they need to be reminded by interviews and actors doing promos of WHEN it's coming out.

Saddest thing is not seeing Iman go on the press tour and do all the interviews.

• Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

T-5 days until release.

The big question is how much the strike is hurting this movie?

I'm sure people know it's coming out, but they need to be reminded by interviews and actors doing promos of WHEN it's coming out.

Saddest thing is not seeing Iman go on the press tour and do all the interviews.

Honestly, I don't think lack of promo really affect so much.

In fact, The Marvels is likely affected for the lack of promo a lot less than regular movies. It's a superhero film belonging to a franchise, actors promotion would likely have little effect on audience recognition.

Edited by Kon

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If this and Aquaman 2 are as bad as leakers say they are, there is a non-zero chance The Flash ends the year as the #3 live-action superhero movie of the year DOM.

Ezra Miller keeps winning, no matter how much he deserves to fail after all his crimes.

6 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Let's test this claim using posters (by "final poster" I mean the one walkups would actually see outside of the movie theater during a film's theatrical run).  

Initial poster:
darkknight-teaser-poster.jpg

And "come watch Health Ledger's Joker" ended up being an amazingly successful marketing pitch. 

Final poster:

pKKvCaL1TPTVtbI6EeliyND3api.jpg

"This is a Batman movie about Batman" 

versus The Marvels

Initial Poster:

The-Marvels-Poster.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ce

Which really doesn't clearly communicate it's CM2. If anyone's given a spotlight, I really think it's Kamala Khan. 

Final poster:

tt10676048.webp&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f09b71371

Now let's use DS2 as a comp.

initial poster:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Final poster

FPn5XwMVgAE8v2x.jpg

Both of which seem to clearly convey the idea Strange/Witch are two stars of the film (which to be fair isn't what I expected to find. Thought it would be more cleanly presented as a Doctor Strange film but it's explicitly a two handed film). 

Those Doctor Strange posters were great. If only Feige didn't sell out to Rick and Morty writers, that movie had potential. Hiring Loveness, Gao, Waldron, etc. was a huge mistake, as writing some Rick and Morty episodes does not make you qualified to write a $200m+ budgeted Superhero project.

Echo looks good from what I've seen, and lo and behold they got talented writers for that (I believe the showrunner is from Better Call Saul). The writers of The Marvels have 2 credits to their name, no idea what Feige was thinking there either.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Captain Marvel was well received, hard to spin that. But that movie simply doesn’t really stand out as something that should have a sequel.

Marvel could have put out a movie of Catwoman quality in March of 2019, and it would have opened $100m+ and had decent legs (as Endgame approached and consumed all). The MCU hype back then was palpable, it was all-encompassing, and we may never see anything like that ever again.

• Like 9
  • Knock It Off 1

I just caught a new 15-second ad for this on YouTube.

It started with Thanos talking in  Endgame, before going to The Marvels footage with the tagline “The end was only the beginning”

Somehow my interest in this film dropped even more after seeing that. Disney looks a little desperate.

What are the odds this is the secret AMC movie on Monday night?

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What are the odds this is the secret AMC movie on Monday night?

The most popular theory given the rating and runtime is that it's Next Goal Wins (a long-delayed slice of failed wannabe Oscar bait that Disney is leaving to die).

If it loses over two thirds of CM1's OW, that's absolutely crazy. Usually that only happens to sequels coming off of novelty/fad predecessors. Things have really changed for live action superhero stuff on the big screen in quite dramatically short frame of time.

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

This is high key nonsense

By that do you simply mean my opinion that the Marvel's teaser poster(?)/initial poster is obviously terrible. Meh, that's my genuine reaction to it and it's yoked to what I take to be a pretty undeniable marketing point (they obviously planned to lean heavily into introducing the new/tv characters in initial trailer before pivoting back to Larson in a second wave of early marketing). 

If you want more words on a bad poster: All 3 characters are visually too small to have particular features pop, the sigils CM & Photon(?) are emerging from both lack any larger public awareness and don't really do their intended purpose of helping character's pop. The only aspect I think successfully strongly draws your attention is the horizon with the mini cape visible in the wind. 

But this is literally just one random person's impression of stumbling across the the poster. I'm not claiming any special artistic evaluation skills (the opposite would be more true). I wouldn't say that by itself means anything but I think you can make a trend piece.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce