Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

3 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I will say, even though I liked Shang Chi when I initially watched it, it does not hold up on rewatches. Simu Liu really cannot act.

Marvel's recent casting for its leads has been off. Simu is a good supporting actor in a comedy. He was good in Barbie but I'm unconvinced that he is a good leading man. He was bland to me and was overshadowed by everyone else in that film. Not exactly looking like the next Chris Hemsworth type find. Shang Chi the movie was good but I was left wanting to love Shang Chi the character more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT: But you know, I was thinking about Kang and the Ant Man movie last night.  And wouldn't it have been better (and more ballsy) if the Ant-crew had to sacrifice themselves to save and get the kid back to warn about the coming of Kang.  And the reason Kang doesn't see it coming is that he couldn't believe a former criminal would ever make the choice to end his own life for the sake of saving his kid?  So, all 4 characters die, with Cassie getting back and that particular Kang being still trapped?

That would have kicked off Kang with a bang.  But an Ant Man movie was probably the wrong place for that kinda play...

An Ant-Man movie was the wrong place for a formal introduction of Kang, period. Ant-Man is a light secondary character and both his solo movies had been very light and somehow forgettable comedies, that was absolutely no place to introduce the next big villain of the MCU.

Kang is pretty much ruined, I'm honestly hoping they just deal with him in Loki and move on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

This is not even true? Yes the marvels numbers are bad but they are still miles ahead of fucking blue beetle.

I still dont think Blue beetle is that. how about New Mutant. That opened to 7m OW pre COVID. 

But if he meant for just MCU, this could be it. Adjusted there is a possibility that this could sell the least amount of tickets. That said I think it will recover from early bad presales and finish above Eternals or Indy 5 and do like 10-11 previews and 75-80m OW(Friday will be boosted due to Veterans/Remembrance Day). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I still dont think Blue beetle is that. how about New Mutant. That opened to 7m OW pre COVID. 

But if he meant for just MCU, this could be it. Adjusted there is a possibility that this could sell the least amount of tickets. That said I think it will recover from early bad presales and finish above Eternals or Indy 5 and do like 10-11 previews and 75-80m OW(Friday will be boosted due to Veterans/Remembrance Day). 

Well I didn't mean it that way (I was just joking) but yeah unironically Marvels could be the lowest MCU opener in terms of admissions

Also New Mutants came out in August 2020. . .how is that pre-covid?

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Simu Liu will find these boards after furiously name searching himself again. 

Simu will be fine. He has Shang Chi 2 and the next Avengers, not to mention having a funny role in Barbie which wasn't banned in China by the way.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Simu is okay but he's not very charismatic. His movie was carried by the fact that the fight scenes were infinitely better than anything else in the MCU. Otherwise it was fairly boring, and the CGI climax was dull.

Look at those casting misses. Simu as Shang Chi. Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. The entire cast of Eternals. Shurrie as Black Panther. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

51 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Well I didn't mean it that way (I was just joking) but yeah unironically Marvels could be the lowest MCU opener in terms of admissions

Also New Mutants came out in August 2020. . .how is that pre-covid?

it did. Ignore me. For some reason I thought it opened in 2019. That was Dark Phoenix and while that opened higher than Blue Beetle, it was atrocious for that movie for sure. 

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Look at those casting misses. Simu as Shang Chi. Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. The entire cast of Eternals. Shurrie as Black Panther. 

Enjoyed shurrie in WF and understand making her black panther in the film bse of it being more emotionally resonant but going forward just don't see it, she just doesn't have charisma or gravitas for such a role. 

13 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Critics haven't stopped being "nice" to MCU movies recently.

The quality of the movies themselves has just collapsed.

I think one causes the other, it's impossible to remove MCU films from the context they released in. For example Ant-Man and the Wasp got a lot of praise for being a "pallette cleanser" sandwiched inbetween the more popular Infinity War and Endgame, and I think the contrast between event movie and fun side adventure is part of why it was given a bit of a pass. If you place that film in phase 5 however I think its overall lack of weight starts to feel more grating against the MCU's lack of coherent direction.

• Like 1

Not here to discuss anything or reply to anyone, just throwing out one final box office post before the end of the year.

It's absolute studio malpractice that Marvel/Disney has only released one trailer for this movie, and it doesn't even focus on the main character. 

10 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Enjoyed shurrie in WF and understand making her black panther in the film bse of it being more emotionally resonant but going forward just don't see it, she just doesn't have charisma or gravitas for such a role. 

The film introduced baby panther and you really don't have to do too much time fuckery to boost him up into a Spider-Man aged heir. Not sure that's the right way to go but you can easily do it.