Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

This is why I’ve really grown to dislike marvel, and more generally, modern blockbusters, these kinds of things are just so lazy. Putting in random cameos to bring in a few more bucks. Like Black Adam. Or the Wonder Woman ones in the latest DC movies, so unbelievably bad.

Don’t mean to start a “marvel bad” discussion for the nth time but it’s just so lazy it’s frustrating 

• Like 4

In my opinion this is looking like

$52M OW

$130M domestic total (2.5x)

$160M overseas

$30M China

== $320M worldwide

And that's like the sorta-middle case. If this ends up Rotten on RT with a B/B+ CinemaScore we could be looking at

$45M OW

~$100M domestic total (2.2x)

$120M overseas

$20M China

== $240M worldwide

Now, this is with little competition really. Hypothetical, but if this movie is bad (B/B+ CinemaScore) and ALSO stuck with the July 28th release date (one week after Barbenheimer) then it probably would've done like Birds of Prey numbers

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I can't imagine a rumor that's basically impossible to verify that's only on Twitter is going to impact sales. Being a surprise would presumably be the point

While I agree, it’s just wild how much a random unverified account can command so much engagement:

If it gathers good will to what it seems like a good superhero film featuring three characters that I like, I’m not complaining. That’s they using their clout for good, and this piggybacks to what I was saying yesterday: I miss someone from actual Marvel being active here talking about the film. People complain about James Gunn being too much online, but that’s a man that understands how the media has changed and how important online presence actually is when we talk about films like this. If this is what it takes to people get excited for The Marvels, I think it’s the wrong reason but I’m not complaining.

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I can't imagine a rumor that's basically impossible to verify that's only on Twitter is going to impact sales. Being a surprise would presumably be the point

The M37 theorem would suggest that the sheer increased discussion is what drives (at least a large part of) increase in ticket sales.

Boiled down to its essense: Awareness correlating to sales is not an unreasonable position to take.

(mind I'm hardly expecting a huge spike, but any blip at all wouldn't be surprising given the current state of sales)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Desperate but tactic to boost sales. 

As for the cameo. That doesn't least bit raise any curiosity in me. It feels like this will be a cameo or little scene that maynot really bare much to the overall story in this film.

As days go on . This starting to feel like flash 2.0 to me. Not based just on sales but the general way the studio is handling things around this.

It's Grace lol. So it could be nothing 

13 hours ago, Shindaya said:

i dont really care if you believe whether or not ive seen the film, as it doesnt change the fact that i have in fact seen it. We only got one mid credit scene (the movie was WIP so no credits after that,) 

Hide contents

the end of the movie is revealed that Kamala has been narrating the story to Kate Bishop and she recounts Fury's spiel from the end of Iron Man (you're a part of a greater universe, you just dont know it yet ... which is dumb because obviously Kate Bishop does know)

the "mid-credit" scene was Monica waking up in a high-tech-looking hospital with her mother Maria, alive, wearing a white and red Captain MArvel suit with the gold "S" down the front, cut to black

Sounds legit actually. Sorry I doubted you! Sucks the movie didn't work for you. 

If the cameo is who they say it is, it's just the latest case of marvel misjudging the appeal of a story element imo. Does anyone under 30 even know that iteration of the character? Because i doubt it moves the needle for anyone over 30... if you weren't going to see it before, you probably still aren't interested. 

• Like 1

Just now, boxoff53 said:

If the cameo is who they say it is, it's just the latest case of marvel misjudging the appeal of a story element imo. Does anyone under 30 even know that iteration of the character? Because i doubt it moves the needle for anyone over 30... if you weren't going to see it before, you probably still aren't interested. 

I don’t think The Marvels target demo is over 30. I’m way past 30, I’m just following the ride like I was with the MCU Spider-Man films - or now games for that matter. I have no idea how this film will perform neither how much effect - if any - this rumor can have in the film’s box office, but I do have to say that I think the change of discourse in the last few hours is funny. Of course that The Marvels would give us more hints about the multiverse and the MCU’s future, that was always a given. I do think this film has been treated wildly unfairly, and if silly shit like this is what it takes to change the narrative, then so be it.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

While I agree, it’s just wild how much a random unverified account can command so much engagement:

If it gathers good will to what it seems like a good superhero film featuring three characters that I like, I’m not complaining. That’s they using their clout for good, and this piggybacks to what I was saying yesterday: I miss someone from actual Marvel being active here talking about the film. People complain about James Gunn being too much online, but that’s a man that understands how the media has changed and how important online presence actually is when we talk about films like this. If this is what it takes to people get excited for The Marvels, I think it’s the wrong reason but I’m not complaining.

you are right saying that toast is a unrealiable account. But a lot of trustful accounts verified this info so yeah is true. Also an advise, there's a Spiderbyte user trolling in reddit about those things, so could be the same person than here giving that they share the same alias 

1 minute ago, fede75 said:

you are right saying that toast is a unrealiable account. But a lot of trustful accounts verified this info so yeah is true. Also an advise, there's a Spiderbyte user trolling in reddit about those things, so could be the same person than here giving that they share the same alias 

@SpiderByte, behave.

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t think The Marvels target demo is over 30.

I know, but if it is what they're saying it is,  i don't think anyone in their actual target demographic will really even remember the actor,  so i have to assume that using this specific thing is a desperate attempt to lure the older mcu fans. But anyone old enough to remember probably won't care. 

Starting to think they need to reassess how they determine possible interest.  Still can't believe they thought quantumania was a banger. I haven't seen it myself but audiences clearly disagreed  and the disconnect is very troubling, especially for the patron saint of comic book adaptations Kevin Feige.

Just now, boxoff53 said:

I know, but if it is what they're saying it is,  i don't think anyone in their actual target demographic will really even remember the actor,  so i have to assume that using this specific thing is a desperate attempt to lure the older mcu fans. But anyone old enough to remember probably won't care. 

Starting to think they need to reassess how they determine possible interest.  Still can't believe they thought quantumania was a banger. I haven't seen it myself but audiences clearly disagreed  and the disconnect is very troubling, especially for the patron saint of comic book adaptations Kevin Feige.

I don’t think that’s what matters, but what it means to the MCU’s future. I kinda have a different take on all of this but I’d rather discuss in detail after watching the film. The young gen of MCU fans aren’t simpletons, they know what they are talking about and thinking they don’t know better is unwise, in my opinion.