The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

You think an Avengers movie only might do "decent" if Spider-Man is in it?

People don't care about any of the new Avengers they introduced, as most of them have starred in bad projects or projects no one saw. The only character that people still care about is Spider-Man. If Spider-Man doesn't have a major role in it, it will go sub $1b globally unless it is really great, which I doubt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DInky said:

Especially for that character.

The scene is not about the cameo though, the cameo is just to show where the scene takes place and to tie stuff together. Plus it is a nice bonus for fans of the character or of the universe obviously, but that is not the actual point of it.

Ok, finally found out the character. After my initial “that’s it?” reaction it’s hard to deny it makes sense. We all know what’s coming with the MCU. In fact it’s looking more and more like its salvation the way things are going.

Edited by Hatebox

23 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

People don't care about any of the new Avengers they introduced, as most of them have starred in bad projects or projects no one saw. The only character that people still care about is Spider-Man. If Spider-Man doesn't have a major role in it, it will go sub $1b globally unless it is really great, which I doubt.

I am quite sure that an Avengers movie with just Thor, Strange, CM, Shang Chi, Black Panther, Deadpool, Ant Man & co can still gross north of 1b. Just the "Avengers" title is enough to convince many that this is an event movie that should be seen theatrically.

MCU is not as fresh as it was a couple years ago, but still has a healthy GA recognition.

47 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Lmfao this is ridiculous. That would require an absolutely ludicrous drop. Sub 1 billion is not happening full stop.

Edited by SpiderByte

7 minutes ago, DInky said:

The Marvels is potentially dropping over 600M.

The circumstances are pretty blatantly very different. I'm gonna assume that when Kang Dynasty releases the cast will be able to promote the movie rather than a gamble on when they'll be able to. Apples and oranges. The Marvels is also the first Captain Marvel sequel, vs Kang being the fifth Avengers. I can't see any situation in which Kang goes under Age of Ultron, let alone under a billion

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

There's should be no good reason unless Deadpool 3/F4 wind up being whiffs on the level of say Eternals/Quantumania/Thor 4, Kang Dynasty should do sub 1B and KD also has that reception.

I think sub Ultron though is pretty likely though if the same amount of apathy Marvels and Quantumania faced. Like 600/1300 domestic/worldwide. Otherwise 700/1500 

Edited by YM!

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

This MCU doom is going way too far. Guardians, Wakanda Forever, MoM all made $850m+ and those were solo films...Saying sub AoU is reasonable, but sub $1B when previous solo phase 4/5 films weren't far off is just borderline trolling. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Unpopular opinion: These cameos and the multiverse story lines are becoming a mess.

Especially because of the sheer amount of stuff coming out of the Disney content fire hose, there’s a lot of people dropping out of these things and they aren’t coming back. You skip one, then you skip another, before you know it you’re out completely. Not everyone, but this describes a lot of people. I’ve watched one of these things since Endgame. I’m not going back. 

Marvel successfully upended the traditional Hollywood wisdom that you should try to make sequels approachable for new viewers. And it worked like gangbusters, but at a certain point you cross a line …

Edited by MisterLibby
clarification

35 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This MCU doom is going way too far. Guardians, Wakanda Forever, MoM all made $850m+ and those were solo films...Saying sub AoU is reasonable, but sub $1B when previous solo phase 4/5 films weren't far off is just borderline trolling. 

I don't entirely think putting MoM as a solo film is entirely fair but if guardians and WF got close theres no way an avengers film doesn't do it unless it is absolute dogshit

• Like 2

Random thought that I just wanted to throw out there

If/whenever Deadpool makes it into some MCU team-up/Avengers film, they should release the standard PG13 movie, but also a (Deapool's version) cut, that's rated R and told from his perspective with his 4th-wall break narration

Would get to double dip on repeat viewings, keeping both the family-friendly and R-rated audience pool, with not much added cost to budget

Edited by M37
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

37 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It's unlikely but not impossible, so much can happen inbetween now and 2026, think of how much the climate around the MCU has changed from 2020 until now. It all depends on if the MCU continues its fall from grace or stabilises.

I think it’s way too early to put down predictions on Kang Dynasty until we see how the MCU keeps up over the next year and a half. Probably post-Fantastic Four is a good time to predict.

Now, Sceret Wars? That should be okay. the worst that does is like AoU numbers unless disaster strikes. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't entirely think putting MoM as a solo film is entirely fair but if guardians and WF got close theres no way an avengers film doesn't do it unless it is absolute dogshit

We can consider MoM to be a smaller scale team up film (which made $955M with no China and poor WOM) So an Avengers film should have no trouble doing better than MoM (Inflation will also help)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

We can consider MoM to be a smaller scale team up film (which made $955M with no China and poor WOM) So an Avengers film should have no trouble doing better than MoM (Inflation will also help)

If by "smaller scale team up film" you mean "Strange and America" that's a huge reach to say it's not a Doctor Strange movie. It's not like Civil War which is literally a movie about The Avengers 

Edited by SpiderByte