Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

8 hours ago, DInky said:

She will probably still have a significant role in the Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

Then those movies will bomb hard as well. I am actually convinced that the next Avengers films are going to face 70-80% drop. Repeating James Cameron type success is not everyone's forte. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

With the B CinemaScore my sub $100M domestic club is looking likely. I even called <$153.4M the day presales started.

And when I said $330m worldwide it turns out I overestimated it, the goal is $200m WW at this point. 

It's over.

11 hours ago, judestar619 said:

Not sure what MS do with Brie's existing contract. Captain Marvel is a dead brand, they would've had a leg to stand on if this was well received but sub-300M + B range cinemascore means there's pretty much nothing they can do to save it, the few mega-fans who gave this film a chance and disliked it will not be back for a sequel.

Mark my words: She'll be Kang's first kill in the cold open of Kang Dynasty. Marvel gets to dispose of some baggage, Brie no longer has to deal with any more rabid fandoms and Kang regains credibility in the eyes of fans as he kills a near-godlike being. Everyone wins.

• Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Mark my words: She'll be Kang's first kill in the cold open of Kang Dynasty. Marvel gets to dispose of some baggage, Brie no longer has to deal with any more rabid fandoms and Kang regains credibility in the eyes of fans as he kills a near-godlike being. Everyone wins.

If they'll even keep Kang around at all at this point

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think Disney might be wary of Rise-Of-Skywalkering the next Avengers film.  That seems way too on the nose.

The MCU's current marriage of factory production + slow overall narrative momentum + risky bets has been a financial disaster.  If Captain America: Brave New World, with big crossovers, was coming out this weekend with rave reviews then it would be boosting the MCU's momentum but The Marvels is just adding more fuel to the fire.

Edited by BOfficeStats

This whole “the MCU is over” stuff is hyperbolic to the extreme. I haven’t seen this film, and honestly I’m not interested in it after the lacklustre trailers made it look generic and bland, but that doesn’t mean the entire superhero genre is now suddenly on its death bed. Loki season 2 is getting great reviews and viewer response, GOTG3 was strongly received, and unless they really drop the ball, Deadpool 3 should be well received. Nobody should be expecting the next Avengers to make Endgame money, but that name will still hold weight by the time Avengers 5 comes around, and there’s no way that Feige watches this weekend unfold and doesn’t at least pivot in some way, especially since Avengers 5 doesn’t even have a locked in script yet. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

This whole “the MCU is over” stuff is hyperbolic to the extreme. I haven’t seen this film, and honestly I’m not interested in it after the lacklustre trailers made it look generic and bland, but that doesn’t mean the entire superhero genre is now suddenly on its death bed. Loki season 2 is getting great reviews and viewer response, GOTG3 was strongly received, and unless they really drop the ball, Deadpool 3 should be well received. Nobody should be expecting the next Avengers to make Endgame money, but that name will still hold weight by the time Avengers 5 comes around, and there’s no way that Feige watches this weekend unfold and doesn’t at least pivot in some way, especially since Avengers 5 doesn’t even have a locked in script yet. 

Honestly stupidity and the internet go hand in hand. It's like the same people who thought Pixar, WDAS and Disney in general were dying even though the chances of them of going extinct is very low if not zero.

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

You're being really misogynistic being so joyful over killing off a female character.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

The sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar MCU movie is about to make around 80% less. That is a massive deal. I do think people should stop saying that the MCU is dead and that no comic book movie will ever make any money again but that's like a million red flags for the genre as a whole and especially the MCU. So, the people also down playing this disaster are not in the right either.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar MCU movie is about to make around 80% less. That is a massive deal. I do think people should stop saying that the MCU is dead and that no comic book movie will ever make any money again but that's like a million red flags for the genre as a whole and especially the MCU. So, the people also down playing this disaster are not in the right either.

I think both sides are being stupid TBH. Seems like disasters bring out the worse in people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Their current line-up is Ms. Marvel, Shuri Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Photon, Kate Bishop, Iron Heart, Sam Wilson Cap, Bucky, Photon, Shang-Chi/Thor/Strange who will have last been in a movie 5 years ago by that point while 2/3 were poorly received, America Chavez, Dork Hulk, She-Hulk, and the Ant-Man family.

And the only character they have that could carry the film by being the lead Avenger is Spider-Man, whose owned by a rival studio. Which won’t end well if they do it, and won’t end well if they don’t.

I’m not sure where there this confidence comes.

1 minute ago, Valencia said:

Their current line-up is Ms. Marvel, Shuri Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Photon, Kate Bishop, Iron Heart, Sam Wilson Cap, Bucky, Photon, Shang-Chi/Thor/Strange who will have last been in a movie 5 years ago by that point while 2/3 were poorly received, America Chavez, Dork Hulk, She-Hulk, and the Ant-Man family.

And the only character they have that could carry the film by being the lead Avenger is Spider-Man, whose owned by a rival studio. Which won’t end well if they do it, and won’t end well if they don’t.

I’m not sure where there this confidence comes.

Even if people don't actively care about Shuri, it's obvious people care about "Wakanda" so there are clearly paths open to Marvel on Wakanda/BP and GotG (you seem to have forgotten GotG3 goes out of its way to establish Pratt's on earth).  Does Groot get a callback? 

Spider-Man is Spider-Man. Even if MoM hurt Strange's appeal, he's still a strongly established character that people clearly like.  

That's all you need for a movie but there are obviously a few more pieces to be added. It's not looking like it's going to recreate highs of Avengers franchise but I really think there's a solid baseline (of course, this was my argument against Marvels doomerism)

I doubt the young avengers are going to be real avengers but if they are, look at War Machine's role in Avengers films.