Eric S'ennui

92nd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | PARASITE WINS BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS #BONGHIVE

Just now, grey ghost said:

Whatever happened to the pop culture or blockbuster category or was that just a rumor?

It was a dumb idea (one of many dumb ideas that were pitched that season like "last year's acting winners can't present because people like Sam Rockwell and Allison Janney aren't famous enough to be on TV") that was instantly abandoned.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Whatever happened to the pop culture or blockbuster category or was that just a rumor?

The Academy announced that they were going to introduce it, but the backlash was so strong that they eventually pulled back on it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wow, the Joker has two wins.

Any other iconic character with more than one win?

Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando for The Godfather and Robert De Niro for The Godfather Part II). Also one win for Best Actor and one in Best Supporting Actor, like with the Joker.

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That was last awards season, they announced it in August 2018 and walked it back very quickly after pretty much everyone hated the idea, from awards purists to comic book movie fans. There was confusion about what "popular" even meant and if a movie could be in both categories, plus worry it was a way to relegate certain movies out of the "real" categories. AMPAS said Popular Film was under review for next year but it didn't really come up. Maybe it will now that a non-English language film has won the big prize.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Netflix might be less gun-ho about green lighting expensive projects like The Irishman from now on. 

They are no different than a movie studio, in the sense that it doesn't ultimately matter how many Oscars a film wins. In their case, all that matters is how many of their subscribers watched/liked it - and how many people subscribed to watch it. The Irishman ended up on their top 10 most popular list for 2019 and was a huge win for them - the award run is just a bonus.

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

They are no different than a movie studio, in the sense that it doesn't ultimately matter how many Oscars a film wins. In their case, all that matters is how many of their subscribers watched/liked it - and how many people subscribed to watch it. The Irishman ended up on their top 10 most popular list for 2019 and was a huge win for them - the award run is just a bonus.

What were the budgets for the other 9 in the top 10?  Did they cost almost $50m per hour?

• Haha 1

Honestly I feel like The Irishman wouldn't have fared much better than it did had it gone with a regular theatrical release (even if winning none of its 10 nominations and being the only Best Picture nominee to take home nothing must sting a bit). The passion to bestow all the awards upon it was never there.

• Like 1

I’m sure Irishman got a ton of votes. In fact, I’m pretty sure more of the Academy saw it than saw Parasite!  

I say that as someone who thought The Irishman was largely magnificent. But Parasite was just something else. I feel a real sense of justice tonight. That’s the best I’ve felt when a Best Picture winner was read out in many years.

Going back to Irishman, there is something to be said for that shared experience of watching a movie in the theater with an audience. Where it demands your attention and is larger than life. Parasite wouldn’t have been half the experience it is when watched on Netflix. You could hear a pin drop in the theater, which was essential to its magic. 

Movie theaters rule. Just as long as you can avoid the texters/talkers brigade.  

• Like 1

Good winners and all but the show was so boring to watch. Outside of Eminem popping in out of nowhere and the patronising pat on the back "girl power" moment (which was more tiring than cringe tbh, espescially considering that Hildur said it all more elonquently), there wasn't as much cringe as the past two years.

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m sure Irishman got a ton of votes. In fact, I’m pretty sure more of the Academy saw it than saw Parasite!  

I say that as someone who thought The Irishman was largely magnificent. But Parasite was just something else. I feel a real sense of justice tonight. That’s the best I’ve felt when a Best Picture winner was read out in many years.

Going back to Irishman, there is something to be said for that shared experience of watching a movie in the theater with an audience. Where it demands your attention and is larger than life. Parasite wouldn’t have been half the experience it is when watched on Netflix. You could hear a pin drop in the theater, which was essential to its magic. 

Movie theaters rule. Just as long as you can avoid the texters/talkers brigade.  

The funny thing is the majority of the Oscar voters probably watched the majority of the films on screeners (if they watch them at all)