Eric Loves Rey

92nd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | PARASITE WINS BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS #BONGHIVE

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Gandhi, a film co-produced by British and India, shot in india, and featuring one of the biggest India historical moment, won Best Picture in 1982. Similar to Slumdog Millionaire (no Hollywood involvement) to certain extent. 

The main production company had its offices in USA and UK. Same was the case with Slumdog Millionaire. In fact no one in India consider these films Indian.

I am all for giving Foreign country films awards which they rightly deserve. I am all for it. 

My problem is that you can't simply take one film as a token. I am saying if you are including Foreign films for the awards, test all of them, that release in USA (if that's the criteria) or just keep it limited to Hollywood.

Anyways, just for record, Parasite was my joint favorite film of 2019 along with Knives Out.

• Like 2

And it's not like I am saying this just today.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

However, truth be said, I don't want Parasite to win Best Picture, and become 1st foreign film to do so. Why?

Simply because it will be insult to the better films made before this or even this year which don't have oscar buzz.

Oscar are Hollywood award, they should continue to be so. If now for one off, you give best picture to a foreign film, you are stating that no foreign film was better than the best picture as per them of last year.

Just this year, there's an Indian film Super Deluxe, perhaps better than Parasite, surely better than all Hollywood films this year. Last year, Green Book won right, well there were 4 Indian films surely better than that last year and so on. Most of the time Best Picture Foreign is better than Best Picture overall and many others have better cinematic aspects.

So if you wanna make it worldwide affair, better look for films across world or rightly so just continue with Hollywood only.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ninenin said:

Yes was i not clear?

Theres a foreign film category for a reason. Still can't be worse than Shape of water

The catagory is "Best Picture" not "Best American Picture". Pretty stupid to exclude other films just cause they aren't Hollywood made. 

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

My problem is that you can't simply take one film as a token. I am saying if you are including Foreign films for the awards, test all of them, that release in USA (if that's the criteria) or just keep it limited to Hollywood.

Anyways, just for record, Parasite was my joint favorite film of 2019 along with Knives Out.

I get your point and in a perfect world everyone voting would see every film and vote. But we don't unfortunately so for now this is the best we can get at the moment. I'd rather some foreign films be recognized than exclude all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The catagory is "Best Picture" not "Best American Picture". Pretty stupid to exclude other films just cause they aren't Hollywood made. 

I get your point and in a perfect world everyone voting would see every film and vote. But we don't unfortunately so for now this is the best we can get at the moment. I'd rather some foreign films be recognized than exclude all. 

But where do they draw the line? It means one year you could have all nominees as foreign language speaking films 

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Come now.... last year they gave Best Pic to Green Book.

TBH I don't get this Green Book hate. Green Book, 12 Years A Slave, Argo and Parasite are 4 Best Picture winners that I have rating of 8 this decade. Green Book was a very good film, not par Roma third act but overall better I must say.

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TBH I don't get this Green Book hate. Green Book, 12 Years A Slave, Argo and Parasite are 4 Best Picture winners that I have rating of 8 this decade. Green Book was a very good film, not par Roma third act but overall better I must say.

Green Book hate? Anyone I've spoken to sing its praises, i think that hate is limited to these forums

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Well if they are the best 10 nominees then why not? But will be decades before that ever happens. 

There is no way i believe the Academy actually watch all these hollywood movies to really have a fair vote as it is. Adding foreign films to your Best Picture pool just means there will be a larger pool of unwatched movies that don't make the cut. It really should be limited as there isn't enough hours in the year to really get through all these foreign movies.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The main production company had its offices in USA and UK. Same was the case with Slumdog Millionaire. In fact no one in India consider these films Indian.

I am all for giving Foreign country films awards which they rightly deserve. I am all for it. 

As a film buff, no one will regard Parasite as the better film than all foreign language contender such as Grand illusion, 8 1/2, amarcord,  Das boot, fanny & alexander, crouching tiger hidden dragon, city of god, Pan labyrinth, amour  etc.

We just know parasite is the one the breakthrough the barrier thanks to all the non-english film that come before this that pave the way in multiple categories .   

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I do reckon with the idea of when a foreign language film is up for best picture, it shouldn't be qualified for best foreign language film   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ninenin said:

Lets not go overboard  

Overboard? What are you talking about? He's already one of the best in the world before Parasite was even released.

Anyway, I'm sooo happy with Parasite's win. Bong has been one of my favorite directors ever, since I saw Memories of Murder and The Host for the first time back in 2006. And IMO Parasite was his best one. Also one of, if not the best film of 2019. And as an Asian, it gives me a little hope that maaaaybe, sometime in future, a film from my country can win an Oscar for Best Picture. Who knows.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, catlover said:

Overboard? What are you talking about? He's already one of the best in the world before Parasite was even released.

Anyway, I'm sooo happy with Parasite's win. Bong has been one of my favorite directors ever, since I saw Memories of Murder and The Host for the first time back in 2006. And IMO Parasite was his best one. Also one of, if not the best film of 2019. And as an Asian, it gives me a little hope that maaaaybe, sometime in future, a film from my country can win an Oscar for Best Picture. Who knows.

Lol like i said, lets not go overboard. SnowPiercer and The Host were both shit

You can call him a good director but one of the best? Come on now

Edited by Ninenin

34 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

:hahaha:

The best part is that he's saying the Academy was ignoring a film like Joker which touches on separation of class and social issues and instead voting for a "woke as" film in Parasite.........when Parasite touches on those same issues and does it much better (IMO of course). 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ninenin said:

Lol like i said, lets not go overboard. SnowPiercer and The Host were both shit

You can call him a good director but one of the best? Come on now

Yes, he's one of the best, no doubt. And I don't think I'm the only one who think that.

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I do reckon with the idea of when a foreign language film is up for best picture, it shouldn't be qualified for best foreign language film   

Considering it took 92 years for a foreign language film to win and an animated film never has - forcing films to choose from eligibility in a category where they have a chance and one where they have almost no chance is hardly fair.

Foreign films also are only eligible in their category if nominated by the country submitting them. 

• Like 5