cheesypoofs

Scream | January 14, 2022 | Profit of $56.7M

I do not see the love for 3 at all, especially in relation to the other films. Even a mere two minutes into it it's noticeably worse in dialogue, choice of location, and as a film in an ongoing conversation with the genre it is in. It makes no sense to me how Scream 2 can open with a joke about the trope of a woman taking a shower while a killer stalks her in the Stab film, and then the Scream 3 opening does that but for real. I love the opening to the three other films, they're brilliantly subversive and clever, and then there's Scream 3 being the most tired version of a slasher opening it can possibly be. The second it opens on Cotton you know what's coming.

The rest of the film ranges from a mess of great ideas to just flat out terrible ones, both extremes often written to extreme mediocrity. The supporting players are dreadfully dull and forgettable, Sidney having to be so limited pauses her journey for long periods of time, and Gale is reduced to a shell who now just shouts for Dewey to come help her (even when she's the one with a gun for fucks sake). Actually both Gale and Sidney rely far too much on Dewey in it, he even gets to do the final headshot.

Love the final scene though.

• Like 1

Watched Scream 2 tonight. It’s so great. 

That police car scene is excellent. Laurie Metcalfe really, really runs with it. So good. 

Timothy Olyphant in this was one of my childhood crushes. 

Scream 3 is definitely my least favourite, but I still really enjoy it. Will watch that tomorrow night. 

Edited by Krissykins

I really hope it can beat the opening of Scream 3. That one doesn’t deserve the highest opening. 

I’m kinda surprised it might gross more than Scream 4 total, in the opening weekend. That would be amazing. Hopefully that would mean Scream 6 is a lock.

• Like 1