charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread: The End is Near.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it would so why is it different from 10th times someone says it isn't Onward's fault it's all corona? Pixar made a crap movie big deal. They'll recover with that "Jamie Foxx becomes a Smurf" movie that looks really cute. 

The average movie dropped 70% this weekend as the world faces a public health crisis. Nitpicking about how this movie is doing is a pointless endeavor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

You're honestly trying to claim the 2nd weekend collapse isn't due to current events?

No, I'm claiming that events make it worse but that Onward wasn't poised to hold well anyway. check out last week when TIM had under 50% drop and Sonic held well given citcumstances while Onward opened poorly as tracking was suggesting. It isn't all corona. there isn't that much interest in it but corona added into that. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No, I'm claiming that events make it worse but that Onward wasn't poised to hold well anyway. check out last week when TIM had under 50% drop and Sonic held well given citcumstances while Onward opened poorly as tracking was suggesting. It isn't all corona. there isn't that much interest in it but corona added into that. 

Onward isn't a 'crap' movie, it got strong reactions from both audiences and critics alike. It held quite well during the weekdays, it would've dropped around 35%-40% on a normal scenario. This movie has been hurt since the OW (where it was deflated), last weekend, TIM dropped more than your average well received Horror, while Sonic had a bad drop, despite the disappointing OW of Onward, which clearly shows that Corona has been affecting for some time now.

Hell, I bet that even TIM would've opened at $30m if it weren't for Corona. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

TIM dropped more than your average well received Horror, while Sonic had a bad drop

Nah, a 50% drop for a well received horror movie is good and Sonic had the same kind of drop any family film would have on the same weekend another family film opens to 40 mil.

• Like 1

Looks like Disney gave Onward the biggest projected Sunday drop in the top 10.

Movie Distr Gross %YD %LW Thr Per
Thr
Total
Gross
D
1 (1) Onward Walt Disney $2,581,000 -45% -75% 4,310 $599 $60,290,687 10
2 (3) I Still Believe Lionsgate $2,379,000 -24%   3,250 $732 $9,500,000 3
3 (2) Bloodshot Sony Pictures $2,225,000 -32%   2,861 $778 $9,300,000 3
4 (4) The Invisible Man Universal $1,630,000 -36% -60% 3,636 $448 $64,419,685 17
5 (5) The Hunt Universal $1,220,000 -35%   3,028 $403 $5,320,000 3
6 (6) Sonic The Hedgehog Paramount Pi… $725,000 -35% -68% 3,041 $238 $145,806,328 31
7 (7) The Way Back Warner Bros. $635,000 -40% -69% 2,718 $234 $13,435,873 10
8 (8) The Call of the Wild 20th Century… $560,000 -43% -68% 3,201 $175 $62,106,911 24
9 (9) Emma Focus Features $370,000 -33% -68% 1,732 $214 $10,005,975 24
10 (10) Bad Boys For Life Sony Pictures $300,000 -39% -63% 1,451 $207 $204,292,401 59
11 (11) Birds of Prey (And the Fa… Warner Bros. $140,000 -43% -76% 1,014 $138 $84,063,557 38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Onward's OW didn't suffer because of the outbreak.  Nobody in the U.S. started taking the outbreak seriously until Wednesday.  I don't think it was poised to have a big run regardless. 

It had a bad IM for an Original Animation Movie, while  at the same weekend, a well received family movie dropped 53%, which isn't a good drop AT ALL.

Look at this, per example:

Dumbo opened at $46m (even bigger than Onward), at the same weekend, family movies dropped like this:

Wonder Park: 43%.

HTDYD3: 33%.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2019W13/?ref_=bo_we_nav

It's clear that the family market has been hurt by Corona for some weeks now.

Onward OW underperformed due to bad marketing, it was basically in line with tracking. Coronavirus did effect the legs though as that’s become obviously evident.

12 minutes ago, kitik said:

Wow, you know 300 million Americans? How do you keep track of us all?

I was very surprised to hear that I wasn’t taking the outbreak seriously until Wednesday :thinking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sad that invisible man will not make it to 100 million. Maybe when people start going to the movies again no other movie will have opened yet so they will have to go to the leftover movies. Still TIM is a huge succes for the studio

45 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

at the same weekend, a well received family movie dropped 53%, which isn't a good drop AT ALL.

Stop touting a point that's wrong again and again though. A 50% drop for a family film when somewhat large competition is releasing isn't a bad drop. Sonic's drop was well within many people's expectations. 

The Lego Movie 2 on HTTYD 3 OW: 53.5% drop

Frozen 2 on Jumanji 2 OW: 45.8% drop

Secret Life of Pets 2 on Toy Story 4 OW: 58% drop

Aladdin on Secret Life of Pets 2 OW: 42% drop (a pretty big drop considering the rest of its run)

Spider-man Into the Spider-verse on Mary Poppins + Bumblee (combined 43 mil) OW: 53% drop

No need to downplay another movie's weekend hold just because a movie you liked didn't open well.

Edited by lorddemaxus

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Come on you get what he is trying to say. Till Wednesday I was thinking of may be 150-175.

I know what he’s trying to say, just pointing out it’s a bit of an over generalization. Last Saturday I was thinking like 80. This wasn’t impossible to see coming by any means.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

54 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Stop touting a point that's wrong again and again though. A 50% drop for a family film when somewhat large competition is releasing isn't a bad drop. Sonic's drop was well within many people's expectations. 

The Lego Movie 2 on HTTYD 3 OW: 53.5% drop

Frozen 2 on Jumanji 2 OW: 45.8% drop

Secret Life of Pets 2 on Toy Story 4 OW: 58% drop

Aladdin on Secret Life of Pets 2 OW: 42% drop (a pretty big drop considering the rest of its run)

Spider-man Into the Spider-verse on Mary Poppins + Bumblee (combined 43 mil) OW: 53% drop

No need to downplay another movie's weekend hold just because a movie you liked didn't open well.

HTTYD3 opened at $55m, which is far bigger than $39m.

TS4 opened at 3x more than Onward. WTF?! It would obviously cause more damage. 

Spider Man was in DECEMBER.

I brought a perfect example of a movie that opened on the same range as Onward (Dumbo's $46m), and the rest of the family movies in the market didn't come close to dropping 50% like it happened with Sonic,

Quite this bullshit. 

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films

9 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

HTTYD3 opened at $55m, which is far bigger than $39m.

TS4 opened at 3x more than Onward. WTF?! It would obviously cause more damage. 

Spider Man was in DECEMBER.

I brought a perfect example of a movie that opened on the same range as Onward (Dumbo's $46m), and the rest of the family movies in the market didn't come close to dropping 50% like it happened with Sonic,

Quite this bullshit. 

A 55 mil opener and a 39 mil opener doesn't make much of a difference on holdovers. Spider-man was in December and would have had better holds. Also, Dumbo opened when spring break was on and HTTYD 3 dropped big on Dumbo's 2nd weekend either way. Maybe if you had a comp that released a few weeks earlier?

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I know what he’s trying to say, just pointing out it’s a bit of an over generalization. Last Saturday I was thinking like 80. This wasn’t impossible to see coming by any means.

So I guess you didn't see the shift once pro sports leagues suspended their seasons,  an athlete was a confirmed case and Tom Hanks?  The stock market sure saw a shift...  

Onward wasn't tracking that well for OW, performed to the tracking and then when it became clear on Wednesday that everything was shutting down it was over.. 

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

So I guess you didn't see the shift once pro sports leagues suspended their seasons,  an athlete was a confirmed case and Tom Hanks?  The stock market sure saw a shift...  

Onward wasn't tracking that well for OW, performed to the tracking and then when it became clear on Wednesday that everything was shutting down it was over.. 

I know what happened Wednesday. I’m saying that well before Wednesday, it was obvious that something like that was going to happen. That’s how these things work. Good box office predictions had these events baked in last weekend.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kitik said:

Wow, you know 300 million Americans? How do you keep track of us all?

Johnny is using hyperbole, but his basic point is right:the events of Wenesday woke up a lot of people as to how serious this is.

Edited by dudalb