charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread: The End is Near.

California just shut down all bars and taverns, ordered resturants to reduce seating capacity by 50% and suggested all 65 and older stay indoors.

I can't help but think theater closures are now inevitable.

I know this was inevitable with how quickly everything escalated during the week, but it still feels surreal to see everything plummet so hard. Between this and the lack of new releases for the next few weeks, we’re probably going to see a whole bunch of theaters shutter for a while. Nothing should feel unreal at this point, but it still does.

Got a strong feeling Universal is gonna delay Trolls tomorrow (especially after seeing how badly the pandemic has ravaged Onward) and that'll be enough of an incentive for exhibitors to shut down their theaters across the country for the time being. Could probably start taking bets as to who will be first.

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

As did Los Angeles. 

NY and LA shutting down their theaters means we can probably expect every state to be shut down by the end of tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoyed following this weekend's box office. It's gonna be the last for a while.

They are saying these number are the worst in 20 years.   That's it, theater chains need to shut it down.  Take the losses now and rebound hopefully when this outbreak calms down.  I know people are concerned about their "Freedoms", I get it, I'm an American.  But look at how the public sector is responding.  Kids are all out of school.  People are telling their jobs they have to take off.   People being in large crowds will only fuel this outbreak.  When a outbreak is happening you have to make adjustments quickly or it can get worst.  We have plenty of Home Entertainment for people to stay at home.  In the 80's we would of only had VHS tapes, TV and Nintendo games.  Look at what people have now?  Entertainment won't be an issue during this possible Country wide shutdown.   Movies are only gonna lose more money, shut it down.   So far major cities today will be announcing a shutdown of theaters.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

They are saying these number are the worst in 20 years.   That's it, theater chains need to shut it down.  Take the losses now and rebound hopefully when this outbreak calms down.  I know people are concerned about their "Freedoms", I get it, I'm an American.  But look at how the public sector is responding.  Kids are all out of school.  People are telling their jobs they have to take off.   People being in large crowds will only fuel this outbreak.  When a outbreak is happening you have to make adjustments quickly or it can get worst.  We have plenty of Home Entertainment for people to stay at home.  In the 80's we would of only had VHS tapes, TV and Nintendo games.  Look at what people have now?  Entertainment won't be an issue during this possible Country wide shutdown.   Movies are only gonna lose more money, shut it down.   So far major cities today will be announcing a shutdown of theaters.  

People had freedom to question the government on it's laggardness early on when dealing with the crisis. Question why it didn't do one thing to expand and optimize healthcare for 3+ years. People didn't use the non-violent weapons of speech and protest early on but now they want the freedom to do bar crawls.

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

People had freedom to question the government on it's laggardness early on when dealing with the crisis. Question why it didn't do one thing to expand and optimize healthcare for 3+ years. People didn't use the non-violent weapons of speech and protest early on but now they want the freedom to do bar crawls.

Look I agree about what happen, the alarm should of been sounded stronger a few months ago in January, I can't control that this Administration made the decisions they did. My point is about the reality now and it's clear now more and more people will stay away from Theaters, why lose more money?  Just take a small pause and wait and see approach the new few weeks.   "Onward" 2nd weekend definitely was effected by this as well as the rest of the box office.  It will only get worst in the next few weeks.   All new release could be effected.  I believe in our freedom of choice but if it' a national emergency, we have to adapt and take precautions. I mean just look at the numbers overall this week now imagine a bigger drop next week.   Major cities are already announcing Theater closings.

• Like 1

@MCKillswitch123 Worst weekend of all time at the box office here lmaooooooooo

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_12_a_15_marco_2020_279695e6f62c57c976.pdf

NOS Cinemas announced closure today. Safe to say Cineplace, Cinema City and UCI will follow them.

Edited by CJohn
  • Astonished 1

12 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Onward, I Still Believe, Bloodshot, The Hunt. (+The Invisible Man)

1jes6x.jpg

Invisible man, which cost 9 Million dollars, just crossed the 100 Millon mark world wide. Universal is making a huge profit from it already...which it will need.