Eric Duncan

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

are studio comedies dead now? if a judd apatow movie can't make the big screen, what can?

neon just paid like $17 million at sundance for 'palm springs' with andy samberg. i wonder if that's getting a theatrical release or if it's going straight to vod now too

Edited by snarkmachine

13 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

are studio comedies dead now? if a judd apatow movie can't make the big screen, what can?

neon just paid like $17 million at sundance for 'palm springs' with andy samberg. i wonder if that's getting a theatrical release or if it's going straight to vod now too

All depends on whether Universal has space in the calender and whether theatres will actually have space to play it. With tentpoles likely taking more screens to make up for reduced capacity, studio comedies like the Apatow are the first casualties of this.

NEON being more speciality, they could coast by on arthouses and indies....if they were relying on multiplexes for Palm Springs, it's going to Hulu.

Edited by antovolk

Before theaters closed, the highest-grossing of those titles, the horror reboot “The Invisible Man,” had collected about $64 million in the U.S. and Canada. The other three movies had made a combined $16 million. Their digital performances are the equivalent of a combined $96 million in box-office grosses.

The article is a bit confusing. It seems to me that he's comparing DOM box-office with worldwide Premium VOD grosses. That's a bit misleading.

18 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Before theaters closed, the highest-grossing of those titles, the horror reboot “The Invisible Man,” had collected about $64 million in the U.S. and Canada. The other three movies had made a combined $16 million. Their digital performances are the equivalent of a combined $96 million in box-office grosses.

The article is a bit confusing. It seems to me that he's comparing DOM box-office with worldwide Premium VOD grosses. That's a bit misleading.

These movies still haven't been released digitally in most countries around the world.

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Said this in the King of Staten Island thread but Apatow's name doesn't carry the same power that it did back in the days when it seemed like he was gonna take over Hollywood post-Knocked Up and then Funny People flopped and killed that notion, even if he still produces the occasional hit. Trainwreck was one but everyone saw that as an Amy Schumer vehicle. They wouldn't make it cause the movie's forgotten now (and all these failed comedy sequels the last couple of years probably helped contribute to the genre going away) but if Universal were to decide to make a Knocked Up 2 out of the blue I doubt any of him or Heigl or Rogen (whose last hit that featured him in the flesh was in early 2014) would instantly turn it down like they would have a decade ago.

A great film journalist. Lost in all the negativity and doomsaying is that there's no real profit model for this type of release. Every Netflix movie loses them oogles of money - they're a net loss company every year. Trolls domestic run will not be enough to compensate for budget. Either studios find a way to increase profits on VOD, cut budget, or stay in cinemas. Releasing these regular movies under current, regular streaming/VOD options is a money loser. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trolls was in a very unique situation and it’s taken advantage of that which is great for them. I can’t speak for anyone else but had the situation been different I would of never paid that $20 rental fee for trolls, I would of waited a month or two till it was the normal rental price and then got it.

Once you factor in more competition things aren’t going to be so easy for these releases on VOD. 

I can say there has been more times then not that I would of rather paid that $20 rental fee for certain movies I’ve seen like crawl/or smaller horror movies or comedies etc  instead of going to the actual theatre, so I’m fine with only seeing certain films going forward  in theatres if that’s how this all plays out.

As it sits right now I won’t be going to any movies the rest of this year cause of health concerns unless things drastically change by the time Tenet/WW84 comes out( if that even happens). 

which are split evenly with movie theaters, Universal retains roughly 80% of digital rental fees — which were set at a higher-than-usual level of $19.99 for “Trolls World Tour

where do the rest of the 20% go? to VOD sites like apple/amazon/google play or somewhere else? :thinking:

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

A great film journalist. Lost in all the negativity and doomsaying is that there's no real profit model for this type of release. Every Netflix movie loses them oogles of money - they're a net loss company every year. Trolls domestic run will not be enough to compensate for budget. Either studios find a way to increase profits on VOD, cut budget, or stay in cinemas. Releasing these regular movies under current, regular streaming/VOD options is a money loser. 

I am not sure how world TV/streaming contract will look like for a direct VOD release, but on what is this based ?

It is obviously and extraordinary situation with parents desperate to occupy kids inside the homes, but if this reach $100M WW in vod revenues alone during is lifetime and make just $90M from WW TV at a $90M budget, why would they be no real profit possible ? It depend how much a direct on video release in an empty media environment did cost obviously.

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

where do the rest of the 20% go? to VOD sites like apple/amazon/google play or somewhere else? :thinking:

Yes the cable box, the amazon prime, the distributor take a cut, EST historically have been by far the highest margin for the studio and that high price rental at similar price point is probably quite similar.

In some country you paid for the right to have the title in your library and a % by sales, % that changed by the strenght of the title and the numbers of days it was available on VOD.

The theater owner org also underscored, “Universal heavily marketed the title as a theatrical release, in theaters and elsewhere, for weeks on end. That is unlikely to recur in normal times, and those costs haven’t been disclosed. While Universal may be pleased with the PVOD results of Trolls World Tour, this outcome should not be interpreted as a sign of a ‘new normal’ for Hollywood.”

“Universal does not have reason to use unusual circumstances in an unprecedented environment as a springboard to bypass true theatrical releases,” said NATO president and CEO John Fithian. “Theaters provide a beloved immersive, shared experience that cannot be replicated – an experience that many of the VOD viewers of this film would have participated in had the world not been sequestered at home, desperate for something new to watch with their families. We are confident that when theaters reopen, studios will continue to benefit from the global theatrical box office, followed by traditional home release.”

• Astonished 1