5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. The Addams Family

8. Jumanji: The Next Level

9. Bloodshot

10. The Gentlemen

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i'm surprised there have been no surprise premium and streaming drops the last few months for any major titles, now is the time experiment. Hamilton only came out early cause D+ is starving for new content

Bill & Ted 3 says hi with it's day and date limited release / PVOD on 1st September.

16 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i'm surprised there have been no surprise premium and streaming drops the last few months for any major titles, now is the time experiment. Hamilton only came out early cause D+ is starving for new content

You need to cancel the planned theatrical deal (like any Major titles would have) if you had one, making it harder to keep it secret I would imagine.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:38 AM, Eric Skywalker said:

Apple

1. The Rental

2. The Outpost

3. Trolls World Tour

4. The Invisible Man

5. The High Note

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. A Nice Girl Like You

8. Archive

9. Rad

10. The Gentlemen

Amazon

1. The Greatest Showman

2. Trolls World Tour

3. The King of Staten Island

4. Game Night

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. The Addams Family

9. Bloodshot

10. The Gentlemen

Apple

1. The Rental

2. The Outpost

3. Trolls World Tour

4. The Invisible Man

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The High Note

7. A Nice Girl Like You

8. Rad

9. Archive

10. The Gentlemen

Amazon

1. The Greatest Showman

2. Trolls World Tour

4. Game Night

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. The Gentlemen

9. Bloodshot

10. The Addams Family

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Sparrow said:

Apple

1. The Rental

2. The Outpost

3. Trolls World Tour

4. The Invisible Man

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The High Note

7. A Nice Girl Like You

8. Rad

9. Archive

10. The Gentlemen

Amazon

1. The Greatest Showman

2. Trolls World Tour

4. Game Night

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. The Gentlemen

9. Bloodshot

10. The Addams Family

Apple

1. The Rental

2. The Outpost

3. Trolls World Tour

4. The Invisible Man

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The High Note

7. A Nice Girl Like You

8. John Lewis: Good Trouble

9. The Gentlemen

10. Rad

Amazon

1. The Greatest Showman

2. Trolls World Tour

4. Game Night

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. The Gentlemen

9. The Addams Family

10. Bloodshot

https://deadline.com/2020/07/universal-amc-theatres-theatrical-window-crush-pvod-agreement-1202997573/

After AMC CEO Adam Aron publically threatened that he would never play Universal movies as along as the studio had a plan for simultaneous theatrical-PVOD releases like Trolls World Tour, the world’s No. 1 exhibitor and the Hollywood studio have broken bread with the following multi-year agreement:

Universal and Focus Features releases will play at AMC theaters for a 17-day exclusive theatrical window. After that time Universal has the option to make such titles available on PVOD platforms, including AMC Theatres on Demand. In the coming weeks, the two companies will begin talks surrounding international distribution agreements in the countries in Europe and the Middle East served by AMC. One of Universal’s big pics this year abroad is MGM’s Bond movie No Time to Die being released in November. From what I hear, if a movie is performing like gangbusters at the box office, i.e. like a Get Out, Fast & Furious movie, Illumination title or Jurassic World, Uni won’t simply cut and run and put the feature on PVOD. They’re apt to live the green of the theatrical run out.

Commenting on the agreement, Adam Aron said, “AMC enthusiastically embraces this new industry model both because we are participating in the entirety of the economics of the new structure, and because premium video on demand creates the added potential for increased movie studio profitability, which should in turn lead to the green-lighting of more theatrical movies.”

That means AMC is getting a cut of the PVOD revenues. The deal brings to mind AMC and Paramount’s deal on 2015’s Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse and Blumhouse’s Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension. The difference with that deal is that when screens dropped below a certain hundreds level, Paramount could have the next home window kick in, with those theaters, AMC and other indies, sharing in the monies from that stream.

This latest deal is strictly between AMC and Universal.

Figured this would happen given how long they've been 'negotiating' this instead of going back to normal after a week and Aron's comments on this being a money issue. Few things to note:

1. I have to wonder about international ramifications too. "In the coming weeks, the two companies will begin discussions surrounding international distribution agreements in the countries in Europe and the Middle East” UK theatrical window is longer than most - *16 weeks*...

2. Also worth noting that 17 days/three weeks is *not* a coincidence. The major studios have already been testing that for 7 years in South Korea with Super Premium VOD.

- Oh and all on eyes what happens with Bond. Between this (though MGM retains digital but they're doing Bill and Ted day& date) and of course even more pressure from international cinemas following the Tenet announcement, I bet it's gonna stay November now instead of moving to 2021. PVOD by end of the year, first major tentpole to do so?

4 minutes ago, antovolk said:

. PVOD by end of the year, first major tentpole to do so?

The article specifies this is for low budget films. Big budget films will still have the normal theatrical window (unless they flop I think but this isn't specified). And MGM hasn't made this kind of deal yet. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The article specifies this is for low budget films. Big budget films will still have the normal theatrical window (unless they flop I think but this isn't specified). And MGM hasn't made this kind of deal yet. 

the press release I received doesn't but of course makes more sense for it to be for mid and lower budget titles. But if Bond sticks to November under pressure from international like with Tenet and US COVID situation is still bad that you have to do a staggered release...

Oh and MGM is releasing Bill & Ted day and date. Unlikely they'll try get it into the major chains anyway though. But if they did want to try for Bond.....

16 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Figured this would happen given how long they've been 'negotiating' this instead of going back to normal after a week and Aron's comments on this being a money issue. Few things to note:

1. I have to wonder about international ramifications too. "In the coming weeks, the two companies will begin discussions surrounding international distribution agreements in the countries in Europe and the Middle East” UK theatrical window is longer than most - *16 weeks*...

2. Also worth noting that 17 days/three weeks is *not* a coincidence. The major studios have already been testing that for 7 years in South Korea with Super Premium VOD.

- Oh and all on eyes what happens with Bond. Between this (though MGM retains digital but they're doing Bill and Ted day& date) and of course even more pressure from international cinemas following the Tenet announcement, I bet it's gonna stay November now instead of moving to 2021. PVOD by end of the year, first major tentpole to do so?

In normal circumstances, Bond would still be making good money through Christmas. Skyfall still made some solid cash back in Christmas 2012. Especially with a later date closer to Thanksgiving, I would imagine grosses wouldn't be insignificant. PVOD I'd imagine would probably hit after the new year (around mid January?). But with COVID, anything goes.