Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

It’s kind of silly to complain that this list only has popular movies, mostly because in order for a large enough portion of the voting base to vote for a  movie and it make the list it, by default of the definition of popular, it has to be popular (at least with the forums or the people who voted)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I could've added some Hungarian films but what's the point? Nobody here has seen them except for maybe Son of Saul. But that one is also not my cup of tea.

tbh for these lists I kinda try to stay off the beaten path a bit. And look for others’ lists who have different tastes. Cuz at the end of the day, the only real point (for me) is to discover new movies I like but might not have found on my own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

But why? You might not agree with the list and I certainly don't but is voted on by the members of our site so how else are we supposed to do it?

What. I don't think Idisagreed with you anywhere

This is alist by ththe people for the people as a community and not as individuals.

Yes the more seen a movie is the better chance it has of making it but ththe common thread isn't that these films are popular it's that theyare belovwithin this community 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It’s kind of silly to complain that this list only has popular movies, mostly because in order for a large enough portion of the voting base to vote for a  a and it make the list it, by default of the definition of popular, has to be popular.

Wrong, to make it into the list, it has to be great in the eye of voter 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If enough voters thought it was great enough to make the list, then it was popular with the voters (or at least a distinct subset of them).

If a movie isn’t popular with any of the forum demographics then it won’t get enough votes to make the list.

It seems trivial to me that if a movie isn’t popular with forum members than it won’t make the list.  Seems like a weird thing to complain about.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Just now, titanic2187 said:

nope, it has only to be high on the lists of many voters, or on top for a certain %,... as you know every # is only an average, not every movie on this list has to have be great.

Not all here have seen all movies, those vote will be missing, not all rate a ‚great‘ movie as great,...

Not all even have a complete 100 titles list, every variation can skew quite a lot (if I remember it right its 48 lists)

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda said:

If enough voters thought it was great enough to make the list, then it was popular with the voters (or at least a distinct subset of them).

If a movie isn’t popular with any of the forum demographics then it won’t get enough votes to make the list.

So you are suggesting that if thor ragnork made 50m+ worldwide like tree of life. It can still make it to this list? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

So you are suggesting that if thor ragnork made 50m+ worldwide like tree of life. It can still make it to this list? 

From what I understand both of those movies made the list and were popular with the forum members who voted.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

From what I understand both of those movies made the list and were popular with the forum members who voted.

So it is nothing wrong to say this list is dominated by popular movies right? You just said both of those movies are listed because of their popularity .

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

With that many Takiti fans, why not? (yes, I look at you @aabattery 😉)

So where is Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Jojo rabbit? I am not sure if they make it to the list

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wait, what? We got all the MCU out of the way already? Is Upstream Color heading for the number one spot?

Jake about to reveal the #1 film...

BlaringPeskyChupacabra-small.gif

BAH GAWD THAT'S HARD TO BE A GOD

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I admit, I only lasted about twenty minutes into SCOTT PILGRIM, so I can’t really say that I’ve seen it. 

What I like the most about Scott Pilgrim is that Chris Evans part is in one entire scene; that is on the Internet; so I just need to watch that and I don’t need to watch the rest of the movie!

And,

Also unless I was wrong, it didn’t Ragnarok already make the list?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So it is nothing wrong to say this list is dominated by popular movies right? You just said both of those movies are listed because of their popularity .

So where is Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Jojo rabbit? I am not sure if they make it to the list

Way over 33% of the # (ranking) of the movies already revealed surprised me rather strongly. And probably nearly the same amount surprised me for being on the list, so who knows, we will see when the countdown is finished, @Jake Gittes wrote he will reveal the ones not on the countdown too. (all around 800 titles??? That seems to be a lot of work)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1