charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Tried giving post-Michael The Office another go and I could only watch a few episodes of this shit. Just so boring and unfunny and borderline ruins the show for me. Characters like Pam feel purposeless without Michael in the story (Pam's relationship with Michael is so much more interesting than her romantic relationship with Jim) and others become complete caricatures. The new characters are also annoying. Dwight is the only character who holds up after S7. The final season also was way too serious and all the attempts at being sentimental towards the end felt so cynical to me (the show's attempts at optimism throughout honestly feels misguided to me considering how kinda bleak the show actually is and only Steve Carrell was able to sell that optimism earnestly imo). The finale didn't have to have a shitty message about life. It could've used more Michael though. The only reason I went through parts of S8 and 9 is to get to the finale and see more Michael and was dissapointed by how he barely was in it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Tried giving post-Michael The Office another go and I could only watch a few episodes of this shit. Just so boring and unfunny and borderline ruins the show for me. Characters like Pam feel purposeless without Michael in the story (Pam's relationship with Michael is so much more interesting than her romantic relationship with Jim) and others become complete caricatures. The new characters are also annoying. Dwight is the only character who holds up after S7. The final season also was way too serious and all the attempts at being sentimental towards the end felt so cynical to me (the show's attempts at optimism throughout honestly feels misguided to me considering how kinda bleak the show actually is and only Steve Carrell was able to sell that optimism earnestly imo). The finale didn't have to have a shitty message about life. It could've used more Michael though. The only reason I went through parts of S8 and 9 is to get to the finale and see more Michael and was dissapointed by how he barely was in it.

I always hated how they basically gave Ed Helms’s character a total personality transplant to turn him into Michael 2.0. It didn’t work at all after Steve Carrell left, if they’d ended it when he left it could’ve gone out on a high instead of dragging out for 2 more aimless seasons.

I’ve started rewatching it myself since it returned to UK Netflix and those first few seasons are absolute gold. The energy Steve Carrell brings to it cannot be understated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Gardner said:

I’m still bummed James Spader didn’t stick around for the later episodes 😔

Yeah, if they were insistent on stringing it out after Michael left they should have tried to keep Spader around for longer, he was genuinely funny and the complete opposite of Michael which is what the show needed to freshen it up, but instead they just tried to recreate Michael with Ed Helms which just didn’t work.

Binge watched Archer over the past couple weeks. I was a huge fan of the show but stopped watching after season 5, it kinda lost me there. The first three seasons are consistently hilarious, some of the funniest TV I've seen. Around seasons 4/5 is where the quantity of laugh-out-loud funny jokes starts to drop and continues to do so throughout the show's run. It's still a really good show (and still one of my favorites now that I've watched it all) based off the strength of the characters, and there's still occasionally hilarious moments. The last season, the first without the show's creator was probably the best one since season 4.

I finished Russell T Davies' It's A Sin at 5AM this morning.  Watched whole thing in one setting.  It was monumental.  He did an amazing job with the time he had (it was suppose to be eight episodes, but they cut it down to five episodes).  Created a full portrait of the joy and sorrow of the 1980's gay culture, and it just absolutely gutted me.  We lost so much because of the AIDS epidemic and the failures of society to response.  If you don't know anything about the era, I hiiiiiiighly recommend it.

• Like 2

February

*Breaking the Waves (1996) - 9/10 [big screen]

Yoyo (1965) - 8/10

The Wild Child (1970) - 7/10

*The Last Picture Show (1971) - 8/10

*The Long Day Closes (1992) - 9/10

The Boss of It All (2006) - 7/10

Le Grand Amour (1969) - 6/10

Revenge (2017) - 6/10

Holiday (2018) - 7/10

The Climb (2019) - 8/10

Promising Young Woman (2020) - 6/10

One Night in Miami... (2020) - 6/10

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - 6/10

Tokyo Chorus (1931) - 7/10

Ossessione (1943) - 7/10

*Beverly Hills Cop (1984) - 6/10

To Have and Have Not (1944) - 8/10

Shoeshine (1946) - 7/10

*Persona (1966) - 9/10 [big screen]

*I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020) - 6/10

Bicycle Thieves (1948) - 8/10

Umberto D. (1952) - 8/10

High Noon (1952) - 7/10

Minari (2020) - 5/10

Nomadland (2020) - 7/10

*Predator (1987) - biblical ownage/10

• Like 1

Tom and Jerry - C - I wrote my feedback in the movie thread

Crazy Rich Asians - C/C- - I watched this movie for the 1st time and pondered whether its release timing really paid off, b/c it's not good.  Maybe my view is a little colored after a year of Covid, so the over-the-topness comes off as cliche, off-putting, and unfunny.  For a romantic comedy, there was very little romance and very little comedy.  The sister's subplot seems like it belonged in a drama.  The movie decided to end before anyone actually had to make a difficult choice.  Maybe it wasn't for me, but I'm well-acquainted with a lot of the culture b/c my brother married a wonderful Chinese woman in China (and then reaffirmed vows in the US), but maybe that was the problem.  It was such a disappointment b/c I expected a lot from the box office run.  Maybe it just didn't hold up, even though it's only been a couple years.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

February

The Sound of Music - 10/10

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 4/10

Judas and the Black Messiah - 8/10

The Little Things - 4/10

Beastly - 1/10 (10/10 for the alternate ending tho 🤣)

Cinderella (1997) - 8/10

Blow-Up - 7/10

The Omega Man - 6/10

Nomadland - 9/10

Gangs of New York - 7/10

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Crazy Rich Asians - C/C- - I watched this movie for the 1st time and pondered whether its release timing really paid off, b/c it's not good.  Maybe my view is a little colored after a year of Covid, so the over-the-topness comes off as cliche, off-putting, and unfunny.  For a romantic comedy, there was very little romance and very little comedy.  The sister's subplot seems like it belonged in a drama.  The movie decided to end before anyone actually had to make a difficult choice.  Maybe it wasn't for me, but I'm well-acquainted with a lot of the culture b/c my brother married a wonderful Chinese woman in China (and then reaffirmed vows in the US), but maybe that was the problem.  It was such a disappointment b/c I expected a lot from the box office run.  Maybe it just didn't hold up, even though it's only been a couple years.

Completely agree. When I watched it a year or so ago, I was massively let down by it. Obviously the representation was good to see, but despite what should have been an original viewpoint, it somehow felt as cliched as a bad Richard Curtis rom-com. The humour felt forced and unfunny.

If you want to see an infinitely better film about Chinese culture, watch The Farewell, it’s a shame that film didn’t the the hype that Crazy Rich Asians got.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

If you want to see an infinitely better film about Chinese culture, watch The Farewell, it’s a shame that film didn’t the the hype that Crazy Rich Asians got.

I agree that The Farewell is the much better film but Crazy Rich Asians had a Singapore setting and was more about the culture shock of rich/poor vs The Farewell which was differences between US/China, thus it did a better job showcasing Chinese culture.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Talk about a movie a don't want to rewatch, has to be one of the worst WDAS along with Meet the Robinsons and Home on the Range. What an awful few years for the studio that was. 

Also thanks for the recommendation @Jake Gittes will have to check that one out, I see it features a song from Faye Wong so that already has me intrigued. Is the sequel worth watching?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Also thanks for the recommendation @Jake Gittes will have to check that one out, I see it features a song from Faye Wong so that already has me intrigued. Is the sequel worth watching?

You're very welcome, hope you dig it. I never saw the sequel, which appears to be really divisive and mostly beloved among hardcore Johnnie To fans. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Talk about a movie a don't want to rewatch, has to be one of the worst WDAS along with Meet the Robinsons and Home on the Range. What an awful few years for the studio that was. 

Ngl I have nostalgia over Home on the Range because for some reason it was one of the few Disney DVDs my parents bought. Same with Meet the Robinsons though that one I genuinely actually think it's pretty good. 

Movies: 

Minari: Like The Farewell this one touches something deep in my own personal experience of growing up as an immigrant and the dynamics between my grandma and myself. David was the MVP for me. 

The Rider: Wanted to watch this before I (hopefully) watch Nomadland this week and something very human about this film that's rare among other films even indie ones. Still can't believe that pretty much everyone in the film were not actors. 

TV:

My Hero Academia Season 3: Nearly halfway through S3 and while I didn't quite enjoy the first half of the season as I did S2 love now that the show is clearly moving the story forward in a big way

Attack on Titan Season 4: If you told me in S1 that the best part of the show for me would be the political intrigue I would have been so confused but serious love how the show evolved from a simple story of survival and good vs evil to something more complex and interesting. All for whatever they do to wrap this up

Superman and Lois Season 1: Best pilot for a CW show I've seen since The Flash. Really enjoy Superman in this alot more than when he was in Supergirl and it's much to do with how much older Clark seems in this show. Inevitably I expect CW drama with the teens but I'm definitely intrigued by how they handle Clark as a parent. 

Ducktales Season 3: Really sad this show is ending this season. One of the best Disney animation shows in a long time it had so much more stories it could tell

The Wire Season 1: This is a rewatch since I got up to the end of Season 3 but never continued so wanna rewatch it til I can finish the remaining two seasons. There's no other show quite as human and real as The Wire. 

Riverdale Season 5: Don't ask me why I still watch this show

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jatvision said:

Naa the film was Average only and did bad in SEA iirc. Donno what America saw in it.

It was billed as the first all Asian cast in a big Hollywood film for 20 years. Can understand why it appealed especially to Asian Americans. It's also partly why it overperformed in Australia compared to other overseas territories.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It was billed as the first all Asian cast in a big Hollywood film for 20 years. Can understand why it appealed especially to Asian Americans. It's also partly why it overperformed in Australia compared to other overseas territories.

The surprise to me was way it trended. It barely dopped in first 3 weeks.