Eric Furiosa

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

11 hours ago, Hatebox said:

No, it's a valid comparison begause Batman Begins was, by SH movie standards, also a leggy sleeper hit which its sequel cashed in on. And we know from Batman '89 that the Joker + an amazing marketing campaign = $$$

Yup. Was on Box office forums and all that. Big Batman and Box Office junkie / forum lurker over the years. Batman & Robin killed the Batman movie brand. Batman Begins put faith back and the cliffhanger Joker card reveal was huge. The movie had great legs for the time and people forget (I don’t) how huge the SECOND trailer for The Dark Knight (First full trailer) was. It revealed the Joker, and mad people were hyped to see it. I went to see I Am Legend in 2007 which had the 5-10 minute preview for TDK that showed the opening scene. There were signs at the door saying not to show up just for the Batman trailer. It was the first Joker since Jack. People were hyped as hell. This was December 2007, before Heath’s death. Given the reception to Begins and the hype, AND the Batman and Joker dynamic- which broke opening weekend records 19 years earlier, and the fact that Batman broke the OW record 3 times before doing it the 4th time with the Dark Knight, I was one of ones predicting an 100+ opening and upwards of 400 million. 

The Batman movie brand modern day wise is fortified due to the Nolan films, but it has been dented by the reaction to the “failed” DC cinematic universe.

Dont get it twisted. If this movie is good to great then you can book the sequel to 200+ million. If there’s the Joker dynamic (I doubt it but if they did a multiverse and put Phoenix’s Joker in the next batman movie or something) then 225+ and beyond. 

This movie doesn’t have to make 500+ million it just needs a good showing. Wouldn’t be shocked if it “underwhelmed” or wouldn’t be shocked if it “blew up.” 

I'm literally sensing no hype for this outside of online CBM fandoms. I've not had a single person talk to me about Batman at work or within my friend group (who aren't hardcore cinema lovers) in the past year. A lot of the hype seems very US/domestic-driven as well, so I would not be surprised if the split skewed more domestic than international.

But we'll see.

• Disbelief 2