Eric Burnett

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

10 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I wonder if the dreary tone and long runtime is gonna affect it in any way?

Past movies like Avatar and especially Endgame have proven that long runtime is not an issue when it comes to BO especially if the movie is really good. And so far all things indicate that this movie will be good. Theatres will adjust and add more shows if there is demand as they did with Endgame. As for the dreary tone and the supposed lack of big action, I don't think that will have any major effects especially domestically and in Europe but will likely effect BO to an extent elsewhere in the world. 

5 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Also @BestPicturePlutoNash responding to your post in the tracking thread here, I actually do think it's simply audience fatigue of the character. When promotion for this movie has come up on TV I've heard "oh wow another Batman movie" and "always the same stuff." Spider-Man faced the fatigue starting with TASM and took the crossover of NWH to return to his heights.

I honestly disagree when moviegoing is entirely dependent on seeing the same old characters. i really don't think if this movie was light-hearted or had Robin, it would have shaken off fatigue or whatever. 

I am fully aware of the (very wise)"opinions are like assholes" saying but a couple of negative reviews really bother me coming from a person who is getting paid to judge movies. Like I just read a review saying that a dark movie is  the last thing the world needs RIGHT NOW.

To begin with, you are not here to say what the world needs right now and, secondly, as critics they are supposed to judge the film on pure filmmaking aspects. It's not the movie's fault that it happened to be released during some very shitty times. Factors like this should not be used in a film's review. It's honestly unfair to whoever worked on this. I would be more pleased had the critic said that the movie is shit and just leave it at that without any explanation.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I am fully aware of the (very wise)"opinion are like assholes" saying but a couple of negative reviews really bothering me coming from a person who is getting paid to judge movies. Like I just read a reviews saying that a dark movie is not the last thing the wld needs RIGHT NOW.

To begin with, you are not here to say what the word right now and, secondly, as critics they are supposed to judge the film on pure filmmaking aspects. It's not the movie's fault that it happened to be released during some very shitty times. Factors like this should not be used in a film critici. It's honestly unfair to whoever worked on this. I would be more pleased had the critic said that the movie is shit and just leave it at that without any explanation.

Critics (and audiences) are allowed to critique a movie however the fuck they want to.

• Like 4

Just now, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Ok fair but had it been released say when it was initially supposed to then what? The critc would be oh ok now its dark themes are fine so I liked the movie.

You don't know that. They may very well have still disliked it and just dressed it up differently.

Eh, there's some complaints about the third act so those would have always happened. Movies are always judged in the times, that's how and why some age better or become underrated. And there's so many critics now, most of them not very good at writing. Failing to engage with the form of the film. Its nice to see a consensus but beyond that, not worth getting too worked up over.

• Like 1

89% with 149 reviews. Much lower Top Critic score than I was expecting, higher overall score than I was expecting. Almost every "regular" critic has loved it, considering even with a 6.8/10 average from TCs, the overall average is still an 8.1.

Edited by Dragoncaine

26 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I honestly disagree when moviegoing is entirely dependent on seeing the same old characters. i really don't think if this movie was light-hearted or had Robin, it would have shaken off fatigue or whatever. 

Not exactly light-hearted but some sort of "extra" factor that made it look like something beyond what people saw in the Nolan trilogy -- Robin could help, especially if played by a known name. But in the end sometimes a first film has to pay the penalty for saturation and get people excited about the character again, in order for the sequels to increase. 

Of course its fair to evaluate the film in relation to the current social and political climate but "its sad times in the real world so this movie being dark is bad" doesn't actually tell anyone what you think of the film . just that the film happened to be made at the wrong time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Critics (and audiences) are allowed to critique a movie however the fuck they want to.

Yeah but people can also critique the reviews. The criticisms mentioned are pretty dumb. If the critic means that they just think the film is too dour/humorless/grim, then just say that instead of this inane stuff about the current climate. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Eh, there's some complaints about the third act so those would have always happened. Movies are always judged in the times, that's how and why some age better or become underrated. And there's so many critics now, most of them not very good at writing. Failing to engage with the form of the film. Its nice to see a consensus but beyond that, not worth getting too worked up over.

On the other hand I've seen other people that loved the third act so I don't think it'll be as universal of a complaint at let's say Wonder Woman.