Eric is Anxious

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

59 minutes ago, RJ55 said:

Is it possible to get 400m from 150m with this kind of review ? Will be heartbreaking if this finish in 380-400m range.

I'd say that a barren March schedule will do more for this movie than the reviews (as long as WOM isn't toxic). But yes, if it opens to 150M, I'd say 400M would look good.

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'd say that a barren March schedule will do more for this movie than the reviews (as long as WOM isn't toxic). But yes, if it opens to 150M, I'd say 400M would look good.

The one wrinkle that I'd worry about here isn't so much "toxic WOM" but more just how much of the GA is in the mood for a darker/grimmer movie.  And whether or not the GA even agrees with that assessment.  Or rather, if there is enough of the GA which doesn't agree with that assessment.

The one big worry, and really the only worry, I had about NWH before its release was if it was too dark/depressing as I just did not think the GA was in the mood for that sort of flick, and some (and I do mean some) of the pre-release comments from the cast and crew made me worry a bit more than in retrospect I should have.

This film, on the other hand, does seem to earn its GrimDark bonafides. At least with some reviewers.  Like it or not, reviewers do in fact reflect a portion of the GA, even if they are more attuned to the arts end of the equation.

So I would be... I think I'll use the phrase slightly concerned about the potential for really good legs if the GA just isn't in the mood for a "Too Bleak, Stopped Caring" about the characters/film sort of flick.  Didn't hurt Joker, of course.  Still, doesn't mean it'll work for this film.

OBLIGATORY COMMENT:  THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT CAN'T BE A GREAT, FANTASTIC MOVIE... Just analyzing the potential for legs not to be as great as they might be for a film that gets lots of raves.

NOTA BENE TO THE OBLIGATORY COMMENT:  I actually think The Batman will be fine in this regard and its legs more than likely won't be hit by it.  Just saying I can't ignore the potential is all.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

BATMAN BEGINS (2005)
All Critics: 84% Fresh (287 Reviews), 7.70 Avg Score

Top Critics: 68% Fresh, 6.90 Avg Score

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)
All Critics: 94% Fresh (345 Reviews), 8.60 Avg Score
Top Critics: 88% Fresh, 8.00 Avg Score

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)
All Critics: 87% Fresh (373 Reviews), 8.00 Avg Score
Top Critics: 79% Fresh, 7.60 Avg Score

THE BATMAN (2022)
All Critics: 87% Fresh (195 Reviews), 7.90 Avg Score
Top Critics: 76% Fresh, 7.00 Avg Score

Edited by alfred8
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, alfred8 said:

BATMAN BEGINS (2005)
All Critics: 84% Fresh (287 Reviews), 7.70 Avg Score

Top Critics: 68% Fresh, 6.90 Avg Score

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)
All Critics: 94% Fresh (345 Reviews), 8.60 Avg Score
Top Critics: 88% Fresh, 8.00 Avg Score

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)
All Critics: 87% Fresh (373 Reviews), 8.00 Avg Score
Top Critics: 79% Fresh, 7.60 Avg Score

THE BATMAN (2022)
All Critics: 87% Fresh (195 Reviews), 7.90 Avg Score
Top Critics: 76% Fresh, 7.00 Avg Score

That Batman Begins score is fucking ridiculous. The movie is Oscar worthy. Good grief do critics reward the good more than the great. 

• Like 3