Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

If it manages to hit $500M that would be ok considering all the setbacks that it has (Ezra, dead universe, development hell) and that would be break even number.

It had a special premiere for influencers this monday here in mexico city and so far the responses are that it's good and entertaining, nothing in the sense of GotG3 or ATSV but also not abismally bad like AM3 or Shazam 2, and definetly better responses than Transformers. 

Elemental is getting released the next week so this week the talk will be Flash. Actually Elemental is getting released until July in several european markets and until august in Japan so these two next weekends the Flash has a free highway to get as much as possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

A lot of scenes have been spreading like wildfire on social media and to say the response has been unkind would be an under statement. This is JL207 all over again.

yup, I wasn’t searching for it but *that* scene just popped up on my Twitter feed and… holy hell.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Saw a clip and I'm surprised how naive people were when they thought the CGI would be fixed before release lol. WB gonna WB.

At least with Aquabro 2 it hopefully won't be a problem with Wan at helm.

I have watched the movie.

CGI is BAD 

In another universe, after Dunkirk and the failure of Justice League, WB threw all the money they had at Nolan to do his timey shenanigans with Flash and get Bale back instead of Keaton, and this would be opening to No Way Home numbers in summer 2019. In this universe...Oppenheimer > Flash club?

• Astonished 1

26 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

In another universe, after Dunkirk and the failure of Justice League, WB threw all the money they had at Nolan to do his timey shenanigans with Flash and get Bale back instead of Keaton, and this would be opening to No Way Home numbers in summer 2019. In this universe...Oppenheimer > Flash club?

Nolan would've never came back. Like no matter how much money they threw at him.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

How can this get to 500m worldwide if it opens to 155m with no markets left to go? 

It's not. And to be honest, unless it really overperforms domestically (lol), I can't see 155 WW opening. Maybe it will be a walk-up monster, but so far I think European markets will be a hard pass on this. MAYBE it pulls a Transformers, but we've already seen that the DC floor is MUUUUUCH lower than Transformers, so 400 or even less (if legs are really bad, say 135 DOM, 230 OS). The bottom seems to have completely fallen from under this thing. 

The fact of the matter is that Flashpoint as a big crossover event, even in the comics, hurts it. The best version of Flashpoint is the TV version because it's much much smaller in scale.

Making the stakes too big takes away the emotional stake: whether Barry should decide to let his mom be murdered. In the comics and this movie, the consequences were a big world ending catastrophe that could kill everyone, so the choice to let his mom die again to fix the timeline is blunted by the extremely high chances of her dying in the new timeline anyway. The TV show did it best because it's not world ending changes, but it's about whether Barry can live with sacrificing his memories and the safety of his friends so that he can have a happy life with his parents. It worked because he actually could have done the selfish thing and totally given up his old life and been happy but chooses not to for others sake.

Edited by SpiderByte

Take the pessimistic predictions with a grain of salt. I remember when the tracking thread was pointing out less than $20m for Shazam 2's opening weekend, and under $100m for Guardians 3. At the end of the day, The Flash is a comic book movie with many recognizeable characters in it, from movies that did very well at the box office. It will have better walk-ups and better legs than it's required for it to be at the low-end of projections. I understand why people will entertain the possibility of this doing the worst case scenario but I don't think that's a very likely scenario, simply because to me this doesn't seem like a movie everyone will ignore, it has some appeal.

• Like 5

Let's hope it has some appeal and walk-in business is very good this weekend because these tracking numbers are horrific. I understand the DC brand is not in a great place right now, but the fact that a DC movie featuring cameos from Justice League members, several Batman actors, Flash and Supergirl is going to open half as big as a solo Batman film with a three-hour runtime is insane. 

And it's not like the film is getting awful reviews either. It's been going between 70-73 this week on Rotten Tomatoes, currently at 72% with 150 reviews.

James Gunn has a lot of good faith to win back from audiences if this film can't even gross the $500M worldwide gross mark. 

Edited by ConnorFilm
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Claudio said:

DCEU is cursed for real.
Out of 12 movies so far (before Flash). Only 3 movies managed to become super hits: Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Suicide Squad.

MOS was a success but not a *big* success. Same goes to BvS which was a disappointment relative to expectations both financially and critically.

Shazam was doing great and financially successful but not a big hit.

JL flopped and so did the last 5 DCEU films in a row (BOP, WW84,TSS,BA and Shazam 2).

With Flash looking to disappoint also, Blue Beetle looking more like a miss than hit and Aquaman 2 looking not too bright. 

Meanwhile 2 standalone DC movies that wasn’t part of the DCEU (The Batman and Joker) had a great success both critically and financially.

So I think it’s a Great Idea for WB to dump DCEU and begin a new start through DCU and hopefully making many more stand-alone DC movies again in the future.

That implies people thought the DCEU was alive to begin with. If you polled people arriving at the theater, how many people could tell you The Batman wasn't part of an interconnected universe unlike Shazam? There's really nothing in the film that's incompatable with a Justice League crossover.

10 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Just read the batman article. Deadline basically used the 2.5x rule on calculation of theatrical revenue(355m) lol. Using 55-40-25 split .

2.5* rule gets wonky on domestic heavy or  films with low domestic and films without china or miniscule runs there.

500m gets flash to 215m+ theatrical revenue (assuming 150m domestic).

Adding in all other  revenues  and using the cost structure  of batman would be enough to see it over the line.

If it reaches 500m . Don't know whether it will make profit but it will be considered as a movie that "broke even."

2.5* rule is not antiquated and still very useful .

To be clear it's 2.5* the production budget. Assumption is other

Revenues like streaming/VOD and so on  will cover the marketing costs over a period of time.

to that point, Someone on reddit calculated that implied deadline breakeven is more like 2.7x +/- 0.4 

(with raw 2.5 achieved with something like a 50% domestic gross and 0% china.

xfvnjd9r9xv91.png

• Like 1