Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

Gunn is director that respected for artistic integrity. People will not be naturally skeptical of him the way they have been with others. Very similar to Matt Reeves. That means something in 2023. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not fully opposed to the direction Batman v Superman and Man of Steel took in terms of plot or theme, I'm fully opposed to how unrelentingly ugly and poorly staged they are. Every action scene in those movies feels like an hour.

Fanboys and a director that thought that translating comic book panels into scenes did that. You can’t capture a comic book feel into film because those are two very different mediums. The craziness you get from the best comic books you can’t get from prose, neither film, and that goes both ways. 

I’m a big believer on what James Gunn just said about the current state of superhero films, and it goes for both Marvel and DC:

‘Why this story is special’ must be the main and important question when you make any film, superhero, fantastical or otherwise. We need more tones and different types of stories with superhero films, and that’s the main flaw I see it on Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantumania, despite me never really enjoying any of the Ant-Man films, they were always my least favorite ones.

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Gunn is director that respected for artistic integrity. People will not be naturally skeptical of him the way they have been with others. Very similar to Matt Reeves. That means something in 2023. 

He is one of the best storytellers currently working in Hollywood, a major nerd that is actually super talented.

16 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Is the sample size like...Super (lol) and TSS, which came during the pandemic and was part of a poisoned series? Because like...not really the greatest sample size.

I think Gunn is a really good pick to reboot this universe. Fwiw, I think TSS is great.

Slither 

Super

TSS

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Surprisde no one is mentioning this is a Holiday Weekend in much of the US: It's Juneteenth for the Feds and roughly half the states.

That might have some impact on the box office.

Numerous people have mentioned Fathers Day on Sun and Juneteenth on Mon. Both days should benefit quite a bit. 

I liked this. I even cried (I'm a mummy's boy). Miller is kinda incredible here.

It's an interesting counterpoint to NWH, where the throwback characters' inclusion made absolutely no sense if you think about it for a second, but they're (mostly) well-realised. Here, Keaton's Batman and Supergirl work on a plot level, but at no point do they feel like living characters. I could watch Keaton's Batman flip around to that theme all day every day, but he was given absolute scraps here. That made me sad.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Numerous people have mentioned Fathers Day on Sun and Juneteenth on Mon. Both days should benefit quite a bit. 

Father's day is not a paid Holiday. In many places, Juneteenth is.

5 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I liked this. I even cried (I'm a mummy's boy). Miller is kinda incredible here.

It's an interesting counterpoint to NWH, where the throwback characters' inclusion made absolutely no sense if you think about it for a second, but they're (mostly) well-realised. Here, Keaton's Batman and Supergirl work on a plot level, but at no point do they feel like living characters. I could watch Keaton's Batman flip around to that theme all day every day, but he was given absolute scraps here. That made me sad.

Numerous people praising Miller puts WB in even larger conundrum with EM/Flash moving forward if the films box office performance is significantly worse than the reaction of the audience that it does receive. 

Such strong reactions and seemingly pending box office legs are indicative of what WB should be using in the future...such a weird state that they're in.

Edited by excel1

This movie has so much in it: laughs, action and sadness 😳
First of all: I lost my Mom 11 years ago and my father 6 months ago, so I guess that's why this movie 
hit me so hard. 
I knew it will be very funny and action packed, but I didn't expect to cry so much at the end of it.
There's one line there that broke me.
(in the past the only movies / TV shows I cried on were The Color Purple, Titanic, The Sixth Sense and Buffy's 'The Body' Ep)
Maybe people that had personal loss will connect to this movie on a different level cause they really did a great 
job about the message this movie delivers. 
It's now my all time new favourite DCEU movie, for me it was such an amazing experience. 
My DCEU ranking: 

1. The Flash 
2. ZSJL 
3. WW 
4. MoS 
5. BvS 

• Like 3
  • Heart 6

13 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

No Way Home’s plot is basically just a fan service delivery system but here I was actually invested in the plot and was annoyed when it had to stop for fan service stuff. ESPECIALLY true during the climax.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Numerous people praising Miller puts WB in even larger conundrum with EM/Flash moving forward if the films box office performance is significantly worse than the reaction of the audience that it does receive. 

Such strong reactions and seemingly pending box office legs are indicative of what WB should be using in the future...such a weird state that they're in.

?? What conundrum are you talking about? They were already done before the movie even released, they're even more done now. 

3 minutes ago, Ohana said:

This movie has so much in it: laughs, action and sadness 😳
First of all: I lost my Mom 11 years ago and my father 6 months ago, so I guess that's why this movie 
hit me so hard. 
I knew it will be very funny and action packed, but I didn't expect to cry so much at the end of it.
There's one line there that broke me.
(in the past the only movies / TV shows I cried on were The Color Purple, Titanic, The Sixth Sense and Buffy's 'The Body' Ep)
Maybe people that had personal loss will connect to this movie on a different level cause they really did a great 
job about the message this movie delivers. 
It's now my all time new favourite DCEU movie, for me it was such an amazing experience. 
My DCEU ranking: 

1. The Flash 
2. ZSJL 
3. WW 
4. MoS 
5. BvS 

I mean...there's no better gift in life than having loving, caring parents. So a film merging characters whose parents were murdered and focusing on the pros/cons of undoing the murdef will emotionally resonate with most people, no doubt. 

Def. a theme that WOM will be great, as will box office legs hopefully!

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

No Way Home’s plot is basically just a fan service delivery system but here I was actually invested in the plot and was annoyed when it had to stop for fan service stuff. ESPECIALLY true during the climax.

Nah dawg, enough of historical revisionism. Spider-Man: No Way Home became a phenomenon beloved by critics and public for good reason. It was a Spider-Man film 20 years in the making and it absolutely delivered in ways that people take it a lot for granted. If anything, The Flash kinda proves how much of daunting task pulling off something like No Way Home is. Same goes for Across the Spider-Verse. Yes, there is a lot of ‘fan service’, but it’s not for granted, every single Spider-Men has an arc, same goes for the villains. If I never saw neither Tobey’s or Andrew’s Spider-Men (I know we will), I’m glad they came back for that one and that a film that absolutely had no right to be so good delivered so hard. Best Spider-Man film of all time, and trust me I’m not alone in thinking like this.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Nah dawg, enough of historical revisionism. Spider-Man: No Way Home became a phenomenon beloved by critics and public for good reason. It was a Spider-Man film 20 years in the making and it absolutely delivered in ways that people take it a lot for granted. If anything, The Flash kinda proves how much of daunting task pulling off something like No Way Home is. Same goes for Across the Spider-Verse. Yes, there is a lot of ‘fan service’, but it’s not for granted, every single Spider-Men has an arc, same goes for the villains. If I never saw neither Tobey’s or Andrew’s Spider-Men (I know we will), I’m glad they came back for that one and that a film that absolutely had no right to be so good delivered so hard. Best Spider-Man film of all time, and trust me I’m not alone in thinking like this.

my opinion on a movie is not "historical revisionism" especially when that's been my take the whole time lol that's not what that means you're just saying buzz phrases. I don't want to start a whole marvel/dc thing and get the thread locked i was just using it as a way of a counter example of something that doesn't work for me in this movie.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, 21C said:

?? What conundrum are you talking about? They were already done before the movie even released, they're even more done now. 

They are not "done". James Gunn has said Ezra Miller can continue to play The Flash in the new DCU.