Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

33 minutes ago, cax16 said:

What’s he supposed to say? lol, if this is a good summer blockbuster(reviews etc) and doesn’t perform then it’s even more reason to reset everything which is basically being done. That’s why it’s good they have some time off after Aquaman. 

i still don't think it's gonna under-perform like everyone seems to. Feels like a mini-Aquaman but with (i'd expect) better reviews. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

i still don't think it's gonna under-perform like everyone seems to. Feels like a mini-Aquaman but with (i'd expect) better reviews. We'll see.

I guess it’s all about what your expectations are for the movie. I never pegged this as being some monster like some people expected. I think if we look back early in the thread I was thinking 500-600m. I get some expectations have been raised cause WB seems very confident in the movie but I just don’t understand why anyone would think this would open near or around gotg 3, especially with the competition in June.

We’ll see what happens but it seems much more likely that spiderverse would be the break out in June cause of how good reception was for the first and now apparently the second is very comparable. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

Define Underperform.

Thing is DC has a lot more then just the budget riding on this one; it's supposed to relauch the DCU. 

I think it will do well at the box office, but DC/Warners are expecting it to do better then well. 

Of ocurse they will put a good face on a 70 to 80 Million opening, but clear they really, really, are expecting more then that.

The good news is that at least there is no way this goes as low as Shazam 2 did since it should pass $100M total with flying colors, even if it does fall short of or barely hit $200M. I suspect Aquaman 2 will be similarly okay even in the likely scenario it doesn't make as much as the first since it's going to be the default action spectacle for Christmas this year.

I'd say though that Blue Beetle might want to start worrying, but it does have the advantage of being the last PG-13 aspiring blockbuster until November should the stars align for it.

This entire thing is bizarre. If Flash has a $100m/$300m domestic run with really positive fan response, it is a huge success. Flash 2 is an instant major tentpole.

Why is everyone still acting like its 2017? THE BATMAN opening to $130m and BOND opening to $60m told everyone exactly how relevant the lessons of the early 2010s are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Anything under $100M would be a total disaster for the supposed “best cbm of all time”, as WB has been promoting it.

LOL what

Some earlier reactions were making it seem like this was more than just a good movie, but a really outstanding movie, the kind of movie that audiences would want to see many times in theaters, like Top Gun Maverick or The Force Awakens. You don’t see Tom Cruise praising a movie like he did with this one. You didn’t see James Gunn falsely praising Shazam 2 to sell tickets. I believe the hype. There’s a chance this will have an atypically leggy run. In the case a $70m opening is not a bad start at all. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This entire thing is bizarre. If Flash has a $100m/$300m domestic run with really positive fan response, it is a huge success. Flash 2 is an instant major tentpole.

Why is everyone still acting like its 2017? THE BATMAN opening to $130m and BOND opening to $60m told everyone exactly how relevant the lessons of the early 2010s are. 

I mean a 130m OW for a Batman reboot isn’t surprising and still very good, and Bond was in the middle of a pandemic.

100/300m for Flash is great and more or less would’ve done about the same pre-pandemic.

19 hours ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

This sentence makes no sense lol, NWH/SC tier reviews are particularly great reviews!

a 71 on mc is decent but isn't getting me to go to the theaters and has nothing to do with "best cbm of all time"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YM! said:

I mean a 130m OW for a Batman reboot isn’t surprising and still very good.

The 130m OW for THE BATMAN would have been deemed a horrific underperformance before the pandemic. That NWH came out after and nearly doubled is a large sign that THE BATMAN could have done much better. Batman is cinematic royalty with an immense track record of success. 

Someone else said this before, but in 2019, if you had been told that BLACK ADAM would open to exactly 50% of THE BATMAN, that would have been viewed as very favorable for BA. 

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

The 130m OW for THE BATMAN would have been deemed a horrific underperformance before the pandemic. That NWH came out after and nearly doubled is a large sign that THE BATMAN could have done much better. Batman is cinematic royalty with an immense track record of success. 

Someone else said this before, but in 2019, if you had been told that BLACK ADAM would open to exactly 50% of THE BATMAN, that would have been viewed as very favorable for BA. 

It would? Nah, I don’t think so. Spider-Man: Homecoming opened with an 117m OW and it was and it is deemed a successful box office story. The Batman did great, and it wouldn’t be deemed an underperformer before the pandemic.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Define Underperform.

Thing is DC has a lot more then just the budget riding on this one; it's supposed to relauch the DCU. 

I think it will do well at the box office, but DC/Warners are expecting it to do better then well. 

Of ocurse they will put a good face on a 70 to 80 Million opening, but clear they really, really, are expecting more then that.

I clearly remember when the first teaser dropped the internet hype was a lot more intense than GOTG3, so seeing it fail to catch up with GOTG3 in presale and potential going for sub-100m OW is definitely a disappointment and underperform. 

And if SV2 and LM can blow past $100m OW, the flash should at least match those figures.

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It would? Nah, I don’t think so.

You would be wrong. Go to THE BATMAN thread and look at predictions around the time Pattinson was announced, easy to find. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I clearly remember when the first teaser dropped the internet hype was a lot more intense than GOTG3, so seeing it fail to catch up with GOTG3 in presale and potential going for sub-100m OW is definitely a disappointment and underperform. 

And if SV2 and LM can blow past $100m OW, the flash should at least match those figures.

I’m always cautious with "internet hype". Guardians are a proven and beloved franchise, part of an even bigger and beloved universe. Ten years ago,I’d agree, internet hype means box office buzz, these days it’s a lot more difficult to gauge a film’s hype by its online presence. People talking about a film doesn’t always correlate on big box office numbers anymore, and I’d argue that’s the case even before the pandemic.

36 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

a 71 on mc is decent but isn't getting me to go to the theaters and has nothing to do with "best cbm of all time"

Literally the only people who care about MC are in this thread commenting about MC scores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

You would be wrong. Go to THE BATMAN thread and look at predictions around the time Pattinson was announced, easy to find. 

This is BOT. It’s an alternate reality, not real life. A lot of fanboy talk too, that doesn’t mean that that film underperformed. In fact I’d argue it overperformed, which is good for the future of those films.