Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

100 reviews in, 73 of them positive.  That's a lot better than some posters here are making it sound. 73 people liked or loved it but you want to focus on the 27 Lol. 

"Teacher, why did you give me a C instead of A on this exam;I only got 27% wrong"....75% in the inflated world of movie ratings it just 'Pretty Good".

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

It is kind of funny with such weird strategy to basically hype up people's expectation, the presale never truly exploded from the beginning. This means the strategy isn't working and large part of the crowd isn't falling for the narrative. I believe the strategy is also part of "creativity" from WB to distract people from Miller.     

Overhype had been the way studiios policy with their big films since, well, movies first existed.

Sometimes the film lives up to the hype, other times not.

And this is nothing new. No film has ever been more hyped then "Gone With The Wind" or the 1963 "Cleopatra".

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Guess it was not a great joke lol because that post got reported by other users. 

Hehe. 

56 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You've been ridiculously defensive of this movie, it wasn't just a joke.

Yet when I presented you with your own quotes, you took offence lol. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Hehe. 

My offense wasn't with my quotes it was with you randomly getting on me for vague reasons that you never quite refuted, meanwhile you just publicly complained about getting a warning from an admin.

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hehe. 

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

My offense wasn't with my quotes it was with you randomly getting on me for vague reasons that you never quite refuted, meanwhile you just publicly complained about getting a warning from an admin.

Guys please take this to pm's, this is unnecessary for this thread. Thanks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

"Teacher, why did you give me a C instead of A on this exam;I only got 27% wrong"....75% in the inflated world of movie ratings it just 'Pretty Good".

Ant-Man 3 was under 50%

Super Mario is 59% 

Fast X is 55% 

Transformers is 55%  

73% looks to be good in comparison to a lot of other blockbusters released so far this year.  Obviously Spiderverse is near perfect. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ant-Man 3 was under 50%

Super Mario is 59% 

Fast X is 55% 

Transformers is 55%  

73% looks to be good in comparison to a lot of other blockbusters released so far this year.  Obviously Spiderverse is near perfect. 

This, people kept saying that the score will go lower since it debuted and it had a 69% and it has only increased with 100 reviews now, must films end with around 300 reviews so theres still 2/3 of the path to go, but I doubt it will go lower than 55% 

I liked the movie but it's completely made up of paradoxes and contradictions, both thematically and visually. It's simultaneously rather thoughtful and completely clueless, visually very nice and catastrophically ugly, and in it is a warning about nostalgic overload, but the movie then endulges in that overload way too much. There should be a much better version of it somewhere in there. It's definitely a crowdpleaser and oh boy does it please them. It's likeable, funny, and very entertaining. It's genuinely clever to pair Barry Allen with a younger version of himself, and the script does a very good job with both of them. In many ways it feels like an ending that leaves behind a desire to look forward - but only until the film then threatens once again with one last look back. Very enjoyable, it just might also be the nadir of franchise cinema.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

It's you who set off with high expectations. 370m/770m is nothing to scoff at for a reboot.

Besides TDKR which did 600m+ OS. Batman IP has never been huge OS.

Enough with this revisionist takes .

I think part of the reason it's not huge overseas is the lack of spectacle and darker tone of the movies. The IP is very strong in LATAM and Europe, but is very weak in Asia and this hurts the overseas tally and is not a coincidence it's weak there. The modern Batman or movies with Batman that performed proportionaly better overseas were the ones with more action and spectacle like TDKR, BvS and Justice League. If The Batman 2 can find a decent middle between it's overall tone and ground I think it could explode.

About The Flash, it has to be said: the CGI is a disgrace. There is no excuse in the world for the final result that is being showed around the world, Warner just shoots themselves in the foot almost every damn time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Still think it’s too early to talk about the score settling yet cause we should at least have 200+ but it starting at 69% and being at 73% 100 reviews in tells me that it shouldn’t go rotten, at most it’ll dip into the 60s I feel.

Still though, not the 80-90% we were all led to believe it would have but at least it won’t be rotten. At this point I’m over it and we need the reboot pronto.

16 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

About The Flash, it has to be said: the CGI is a disgrace. There is no excuse in the world for the final result that is being showed around the world, Warner just shoots themselves in the foot almost every damn time.

If true, this means somebody was incompetent, given the money they have spent on this film.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I liked the movie but it's completely made up of paradoxes and contradictions, both thematically and visually. It's simultaneously rather thoughtful and completely clueless, visually very nice and catastrophically ugly, and in it is a warning about nostalgic overload, but the movie then endulges in that overload way too much. There should be a much better version of it somewhere in there. It's definitely a crowdpleaser and oh boy does it please them. It's likeable, funny, and very entertaining. It's genuinely clever to pair Barry Allen with a younger version of himself, and the script does a very good job with both of them. In many ways it feels like an ending that leaves behind a desire to look forward - but only until the film then threatens once again with one last look back. Very enjoyable, it just might also be the nadir of franchise cinema.

Are you Matt Zoller-Seitz? Your comment about contradictions is strikingly similar, haha! Glad you liked the movie, but sorry it wasn't better. I'm really intrigued to see how I respond to this one.

55 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I think part of the reason it's not huge overseas is the lack of spectacle and darker tone of the movies. The IP is very strong in LATAM and Europe, but is very weak in Asia and this hurts the overseas tally and is not a coincidence it's weak there. The modern Batman or movies with Batman that performed proportionaly better overseas were the ones with more action and spectacle like TDKR, BvS and Justice League. If The Batman 2 can find a decent middle between it's overall tone and ground I think it could explode.

That's the challenge that Brave and the Bold will have to navigate too. It'll need to craft a fantastical Batman that still doesn't completely alienate or lose its domestic audiences (meaning that it'll probably need to retain the darkness/craft that's been expected from the brand) but that also blows up in international markets with big, exciting action set-pieces or whatever. DC will need to be very very careful with that movie, especially since The Flash is pretty much proving you can't just put Batman in a film and expect it to even have a big opening.

Although, a counter point to the "international needs big action" argument is probably Joker. That film is still part of Batman's franchise, so maybe there's something to be learned there too in regards to how international audiences can respond to Batman. At its time, TDK was also the highest the Batman franchise had ever gone international as well, although that had more action. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Are you Matt Zoller-Seitz? Your comment about contradictions is strikingly similar, haha! Glad you liked the movie, but sorry it wasn't better. I'm really intrigued to see how I respond to this one.

I haven't read his review yet but I can imagine it being a common thought. I will say I enjoyed watching the movie quite a bit more than I can claim to have liked it, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This sounds like what NWH was, just without the actual excitement of seeing the cameos and a much heavier emphasis on nostalgia-bait lol

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

This sounds like what NWH was, just without the actual excitement of seeing the cameos and a much heavier emphasis on nostalgia-bait lol

I will say, I liked this more than No Way Home (I did not like No Way Home).

It is clear and obvious that this film would be a smash hit with GA. Regardless of how high its opens, legs and WOM look to be very good. Bolds quite well for next film. 

• Like 2

Just now, dudalb said:

I think what you are seeing in this thread is sort of a grasping at straws for the film's supporters who thought this was gong to be such a massive hit. You see this a awful lot at BOT when a heavily hyped franchise film gives strong indications it is not going to be as biag as it's supporters thought.

I’m aware. What I’m saying is that I’m not setting myself for disappointment, the reaction and reviews from critics I trust (Lussier, Ryan and Erbland) released the last hours got me back into the Indy hype train, and that didn’t happen with The Flash as of yet. I think there is still a healthy time for Indy to gather hype to its release date, and I actually expect big critics to side more with the latter reviews than the Cannes ones. Dial of Destiny doesn’t need to be Logan, neither the best Indiana Jones film ever. It just needs to be a good Indiana Jones send off, I think people are understimating the nostalgia aspect when it comes to Indy, and that’s a wild card that might still has time to create a build up, unlike something that is coming out next week.