Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

56 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem is people have gotten out of the movie every weekend habit, and a film has to offer more then just a fun two hours to really break out. I guess people expect more their money nowdays, given the "in a few eeks I can can watch this for alot less on Streaming" reality.

And, bluntly, looks as if Deadpool might suck sort of suck the air out of the ticket sales room. Certainly a lot fewer people will go to more then one movie a week then used to.

So DM 4 is more than just a fun two hours? We say this and then people still find the money to spend  on mediocre crap because you got to take the kids to something and it's a fun enough watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

So DM 4 is more than just a fun two hours? We say this and then people still find the money to spend  on mediocre crap because you got to take the kids to something and it's a fun enough watch.

DM4 is only 94 minutes, and that makes it more managebale.

For kids it is absolutely more.  It is 94 minutes of incredible fun.

31 minutes ago, Human said:

DM4 is only 94 minutes, and that makes it more managebale.

For kids it is absolutely more.  It is 94 minutes of incredible fun.

DM4 also is part of a sucessful franchise,  whether Twister can be turned into a franchise remains to be seen.

Amd Twisters does not really have the family appeal that DM4 has.

And I think that a lot of films that well received as being "fun" were not hits is indisputable. I give you Fall Guy and Furiosa as a examples.You have to have something more then just the promise of being fun to be a big hit nowdays.

But Universal might have messed up with the release date given the incredibl presales and projections for Deadpool. Even if Twisters has a good opening, it legs are going to torn to sthred by Deadpool.

Edited by dudalb

I would argue twisters could actually benefit from Deadpool via kids buying a ticket to a PG 13 film and sneaking in, and also the spillover effect because there are evidently going to be a lot of sellouts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Problem is people have gotten out of the movie every weekend habit, and a film has to offer more then just a fun two hours to really break out. I guess people expect more their money nowdays, given the "in a few eeks I can can watch this for alot less on Streaming" reality.

And, bluntly, looks as if Deadpool might suck sort of suck the air out of the ticket sales room. Certainly a lot fewer people will go to more then one movie a week then used to.

I agree, but I've considered that the month of July might be the exception. Studios seem to not mind stacking the month, in large part due to the fact that July is considered "beat the heat month" when people are just in the mood to go to the movies.

But yes, studios still have to earn those admissions these days, more than they ever have. We'll see if they have earned them with Twisters.

5 hours ago, emoviefan said:

But that's the point, no? Kids movies have to offer different "qualities".

However, at this point a lot of adults can look at only animated movies being the big deal now and start to see cinemas as something for families and children only.

It's been a while since we had a disaster movie that truly delivered the chaotic goods (much of the genre recently - Into the Storm, Geostorm, The Hurricane Heist, etc. - has been schlocky trash) so I'm pleased to hear that this delivers on that front if nothing else!

• Like 1

Think Godzilla x Kong will be the closest thing to an early harbinger. Grossed similar proportionally in Australia to the USA and I think that's more or less what the box office expectations will be here, at least in Anglophone countries.

So an ideal Australia opening would be somewhere in the $3.5mil range.

Edited by AniNate

80%  on RT. I hope it's better than A quiet Place: Day one. That has 87% on RT and it was awful. Yes, i know people have different opinions, but i still can't imagine how so many critics enjoyed Day One.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's been a while since we had a disaster movie that truly delivered the chaotic goods (much of the genre recently - Into the Storm, Geostorm, The Hurricane Heist, etc. - has been schlocky trash) so I'm pleased to hear that this delivers on that front if nothing else!

Hurricane Heist is fcking amazing. 

10 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Hurricane Heist is fcking amazing. 

It was fun, but not amazing.

And language has become so hyper inflated that it's hard to find a way to convice people when a really,really great movie comes along.

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

80%  on RT. I hope it's better than A quiet Place: Day one. That has 87% on RT and it was awful. Yes, i know people have different opinions, but i still can't imagine how so many critics enjoyed Day One.

it was not awful for me,  but i had that reaction to Abigail which got praise , so it happens

14 hours ago, AniNate said:

Think Godzilla x Kong will be the closest thing to an early harbinger. Grossed similar proportionally in Australia to the USA and I think that's more or less what the box office expectations will be here, at least in Anglophone countries.

So an ideal Australia opening would be somewhere in the $3.5mil range.

This movie's whole vibe is much more American though, idk, I still think this does like the same 50-60 range as most blockbusters this year but I don't think international numbers will translate as well.