movies!movies!

Bullet Train | Sony | August 5, 2022 | Brad Pitt and a bunch of other people

Haha I had no idea that was a Jolie stan account. What a strange hobby: spamming their ex husbands new film. 

I guess there’s a corner of the internet for everyone lol. 

But yeh, opens here tomorrow and looks pretty busy to me. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Haha 1

My takeaway from the reviews is that BT is not as disposabley “fun” as it could have been, in comparison to the likes of Lost City, Free Guy, even Jungle Cruise. It tried to be more, and only somewhat succeeded, which is going not to turn people off en masse, but also less likely to draw people in who may have been on the fence 

Also, is there an over/under for “off the rails” puns in the reviews? Cause I’m taking the over on that bet

The trailer intrigued me since it feels like good action time and 2hrs time pass since this month is barren.

I wouldnt check RT of this kinda for myself unless its pretty dismal.

Tho people who have seen this , can they confirm if this is near the quality of Hotel Artemis/El Royale or better ?

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Guess it won't be another John Wick type success that people expected.

I don't understand why they decided to make BT so goofy. At least that's what reviews are saying it is. I was hyped for the movie at first, but once the trailer released, i was disappointed. It looks like they made it "funny". If they went the John Wick route, it would have been quality movie

Edited by Maggie

I mean the director did make Deadpool 2. And Hobbs and Shaw has Kevin Hart and Ryan Reynolds cameos, so it's clear David Leitch likes his movies being goofy action comedies. Whether that was the right call or not is debatable, but I get the appeal of having something overblown and silly in your movie.

Just now, Eric the Tank Engine said:

I mean the director did make Deadpool 2. And Hobbs and Shaw has Kevin Hart and Ryan Reynolds cameos, so it's clear David Leitch likes his movies being goofy action comedies. Whether that was the right call or not is debatable, but I get the appeal of having something overblown and silly in your movie.

This looked fun because it was goofy. A goofy action movie on a train sounds like a winner, just seems like they may have added too many extraneous things to that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

Yeah, also between this and Thor 4 I think action/comedy directors need to be careful about how much their brand gets over-saturated. What might’ve seemed like a good call 2-3 years when it was being developed may feel like it’s overdone by the time it comes out. Like I get why Leitch leaned into Deadpool humor since his Deadpool film was a success but maybe not right for this material and at this time. 

• Like 1

Hollywood works in trends. Post Nolan/TDK, every blockbuster was dark and heavy and gritty and brooding

Post MCU, blockbusters tend to have more humor and comedy since that's crowdpleasing

And when it comes to big casts, I think audiences prefer when they're funny ala Knives Out, etc. I get the appeal of this being a fun comedy even though it does sound a little too edgelord dudebro whatever.