chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

@ZeeSoh

Dangal only making Top 200 (that doesn't sound right) I was thinking, ohh what a shitty performance it's gonna be from India and more surprising that India already has 4 films and is on number 2. Woah.

He means that Dangal is somewhere in the top 200, but he doesn't want say where so as not to spoil the list. For all we know it could be number 1.

• Like 2

I didn’t end up voting because most of the foreign films I have seen are from Japan, Korea or France so I thought I’d end up skewing the list (I was also knee deep in studying during the list making time so didn’t have time, which is the less noble and probably more realistic reason)

But nice job so far!

• Like 4

On 7/23/2020 at 9:23 PM, Tower said:

He means that Dangal is somewhere in the top 200, but he doesn't want say where so as not to spoil the list. For all we know it could be number 1.

It is imo one of the most overrated movie of Bollywood.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan is anyday much better than it, also im intrigued that do people who saw Dangal know that the coach being evil guy part who wants to create problems for our main characters was total crap and fake @charlie Jatinder

4 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

It is imo one of the most overrated movie of Bollywood.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan is anyday much better than it, also im intrigued that do people who saw Dangal know that the coach being evil guy part who wants to create problems for our main characters was total crap and fake @charlie Jatinder

The whole second half is average. I also find Lagaan way way way overrated along with Dil Chahta Hai. Never watched Tare Zameen par, that looks preachy af.

That said 3 Idiots and Rang de Basanti are among my top 10 Bollywood easily.

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The whole second half is average. I also find Lagaan way way way overrated along with Dil Chahta Hai. Never watched Tare Zameen par, that looks preachy af.

TZP was awesome but I'll mention CDI and Swades for me.

Mentioning those two here cause i don't see them getting some respect here since there are only 4 movies from Bollywood.

To whoever is seeing this..... SWADES and CHAK DE INDIA..!! 

try them.

20 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

TZP was awesome but I'll mention CDI and Swades for me.

Mentioning those two here cause i don't see them getting some respect here since there are only 4 movies from Bollywood.

To whoever is seeing this..... SWADES and CHAK DE INDIA..!! 

try them.

I think CDI, Swades will make it in here. DDLJ will be best SRK film IMO.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:55 PM, grim22 said:

Aamir Khan is big in China, Dangal did 200M in China alone. Secret Superstar and PK were boosted by China as well. Dangal, PK and Bajrangi Bhaijaan will be among the highest domestic grossers as well but China supercharged them.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan was Salman's image rehab movie, and it's really really good. Probably the only Salman Khan movie I can wholeheartedly recommend.

I've no idea if Sultan did well in China, but being in the top 5 just based on India seems hard. Sultan and Dangal are both basically Chak De India but for amateur wrestling.

The name 'Khan' is quite common in India/Pakistan, right? I have a colleague named Aamir Khan (working in the European HQ of the company).

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

The name 'Khan' is quite common in India/Pakistan, right? I have a colleague named Aamir Khan (working in the European HQ of the company).

Khan is muslim last name, there is big muslim population in India, though still minority at 13%.

It just happens to be that 3 biggest star in Bollywood are all Khans. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

How dare you insult Dil Chahta Hai like that, I am just kidding lol but it is one of my fav movies of all time. To me it was one of the movies that helped pivot bollywood from traditional, safe, old looking movies to something fresh, modern looking and youth oriented that is not bogged down by traditional values and sanskaar. 

Lagaan is over rated though. Its too long and would have been better without the nonsensical love triangle plot and all the singing and dancing. 
Taare Zameen Par is a good movie. It tries to tackle an important issue and deserves praise just for that. You should see it if you get a chance. 

As for SRK, CDI and Swades are better than DDLJ but the latter is obviously far far more popular. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

How dare you insult Dil Chahta Hai like that, I am just kidding lol but it is one of my fav movies of all time. To me it was one of the movies that helped pivot bollywood from traditional, safe, old looking movies to something fresh, modern looking and youth oriented that is not bogged down by traditional values and sanskaar. 

Lagaan is over rated though. Its too long and would have been better without the nonsensical love triangle plot and all the singing and dancing. 
Taare Zameen Par is a good movie. It tries to tackle an important issue and deserves praise just for that. You should see it if you get a chance. 

As for SRK, CDI and Swades are better than DDLJ but the latter is obviously far far more popular. 

The second half of DCH feels unbalanced because Saif's entire plot is cut out of it. He has one scene relating to his plot. The 2 serious plotlines take center stage without the Saif plot to add levity. I definitely can see why someone would say the second half isn't as good as the first.

Lagaan kind of needed all the elements you mentioned if the final match has to work. Everything builds to that match basically. They had hid that the movie was about cricket in the marketing, that was something audiences discovered when watching the movie itself. Great campaign back then.

DDLJ is a classic though :P

8 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Didn't they say only 4 Bollywood movies or did i read something wrong.

4 films so far. The list is in process.

I think considering Drishyam & Sholay made it, there must be 10+ films from India easily. 3 Idiots, Lagaan, Dangal, DDLJ, Andhadhun, Baahubali 2 and may be Baahubali 1.

74th: Shoplifters - Japan (2018)

1 top 5

93 pts (more votes) 

Assumed Plot: Okay, this is a hard one as I know this is not Ghibli, and it neither sounds like a black and white Kurasawa film or a gritty anime where an overtly sexualised android in futuristic society learns which it is to love/be human. 

So... I am going to go with this being a gritty Japanese take on Fagan. A bunch of street orphans are taken in by a Tokyo local gangster and made to shoplift for a living. It is a dangerous game as you are screwed if you get caught and screwed if you fail. It's a dark look into the shadier elements of Tokyo street society that is part slumdog millionaire, part Oliver Twist.  

I think I deserve a point for accuracy there! I successfully guessed that a film called Shoplifters involved shoplifting.

Something a little different from Japan here as we get something live action from the 21st century (I don't think there were many of those that got votes.) This film looks very good to be fair and the trailer reminded me of a 2000s Korean film in its tone and idea of making imperfect common folk the emotional hook of the film. Element's of it maybe even felt, dare I say it, a little parasitesque. But I am only judging from a 2 minute trailer. 

Either way, Japan now joins Italy on 3 films on the list and they have been 3 very different films indeed.   

From Amazon user,  Dale

Shoplifters is the story of a chosen family made up of society’s outcasts.

We have “Grandma”, an elderly woman in a run-down home who relies on a monthly pension and shares her home with the rest of the family. Osamu, a construction worker. His romantic interest Nobuyo, a worker in a laundry / garment factory. Aki, a beautiful young lady who gets by working at a peep-show booth. Shota, a boy in his early teens that Osamu “adopted” when he was much younger. And Yuri, an abused and unwanted five-year-old girl who is rescued by Osamu and Nobuyo.

And all these people have shoplifting or other scams to help them get by.

Then just when you get comfortable with who these people are, something happens that causes it all to unravel, and we learn the backstories.

This is a wonderful film with engaging characters … and the way it ends is heartbreaking. It gave me a case of The Feels in that cold, black little nugget in my chest, and actually brought a bit of moisture to my jaded eyes.

Highly Recommended!

Films by Nation

7 - France

4 - Bollywood

3 - Italy

3 - Japan

2 - Sweden

2 - South Korea

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

• Like 8

73rd: Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - South Korea (2005)

2 top 5

94 pts  

Assumed Plot: We have hit the second film on this countdown that I have seen!!! And what's more I had it top 5 as this is an absolutely stellar film. 

The third and final film in Park Chan Wook's Vengeance trilogy, this is the thematic follow up to Oldboy that follows 'Kind-hearted Geumja' (the Korean title) as she is released from prison for child murder. As with anything Park Chan Wook, the characters, and acting are top notch and his use of every sense (especially sound, he may he the sound sound director working today) just make every scene work. 

When it comes to Korean directors, Park is absolutely my favourite. Bong arguably has the better ideas and grand schemes within his films, but to me, Park brings out that extra level of ability out of every actor that is perhaps only matched by a couple of other directors. There is a reason why this film was top 5 for me, and yet only the third highest ranked Park Chan Wook film. 

This also brings Korea back level with Japan at 3 films, and thus the eternal battle continues... 

From Amazon user,  Exploitation Purveyor

While the film might be mistaken as yet another violent revenge/women in prison thriller, the real crux of the story is about individual redemption, and whether a person who was an accomplice to a crime can ever be vindicated, having also committed a homicide while in prison. Those unfamiliar with Korean culture may be surprised by how much Christianity comes into play here.

Lee Geum-ja, the protagonist, spends 13 years in prison, taking the full blame for a kidnapping in which a young boy died. The perpetrator, Mr. Baek, is revealed to have committed other crimes while his young accomplice languished behind bars. In addition, Geum-ja has her illegitimate child adopted out to a couple in Australia. While the plot bears some resemblance to Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, this particular film really does tug at the heartstrings in surprising ways. All three films are created with great technical virtuosity, but Lady Vengeance, I think, strives to be more of an aesthetic experience, though it still has plenty of violence.

There is also humor here, more pronounced than in the other films. Frankly, I was touched by the ending of this film, more than I have been in a long time. It may not affect you the same way, but I think this film carries quite a bit of power, above and beyond other films of this genre. In some respects, it has parallels with Fritz Lang's classic film M (1931), which was based upon an actual serial killer of children in Weimar Germany. The director may, in fact, have been alluding to it, as one is faced with the same issue today: Will the taking of revenge, or exacting of justice, compensate for the loss of one's loved one, especially of a young child? The answer the audience must ultimately find for itself, along with whether Geum-ja can be forgiven.

Highly Recommended!

Films by Nation

7 - France

4 - Bollywood

3 - Italy

3 - Japan

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

72nd: Andhadhun - India (2018)

2 top 10

94 pts  (More votes)

Assumed Plot: Okay, so this was not a Hindi word I knew, so I cheated and looked it up (but not the film itself of course). Apparently this title means Rage or Violence so... maybe this is an R Rated musical singalong with dance numbers that take place as horrific Mumbai Gang crimes are committed by the main protagonist / antagonist. It is essentially A ClockWork Orange meets Oldboy, but with songs. 

I think this film thinks it is French. It felt very French to me for some reason, except obviously not. 

It also feels like I was lead astray with that translation of rage. It appears to be more a blend of La La Land and Ray (but if Ray Charles was Stevie Wonder). This feels like it is a smaller scale film that some of the others that have made the list from India, but it also received a lot of love from at least a couple of people. 

It also puts India back on the heels of France and clear of the chasing pack once more. 

From Amazon user,  Readersread

I have not watched Bollywood movies since the 80's. So I didn't know what to expect. And what i got was truly pleasant and satisfying. A story masterfully told and life's absurdity lavishly presented. Oh the songs, I can't understand the ;lyrics since it's in their language but the music is simply magical. it seems long but I loved every minute of it. Now THAT's how a movie should be.

Films by Nation

7 - France

5 - Bollywood

3 - Italy

3 - Japan

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

• Like 8

71st: Kiki's Delivery Service - Japan (1989)

0 top 10

95 pts  

Assumed Plot: Right, so I have not seen this one, but I do remember that the DVD cover is a girl on a broomstick (I think with a cat, but that could just be an assumption because... ya know, witches.)

So this is Ghibli animation about a young witch that delivers stuff. As this is Ghibli, I am going to stick my neck out and say that she isn't delivering spells or magic. Instead I am going to go for... baked goods. Yes, that is locked in. This is the charming whimsical tale of a young witch who eschews spellcasting and charm making in favour of opening her own little bakery and delivering freshly based bread and cakes to the people of the town. 

The inciting incident occurs when... wait a minute, I've seen Totoro, there is every chance that an inciting incident never happens. So that is the whole story. A girl delivers cakes by broom for 90 minutes while talking to her cat. 

THERE WAS A BAKERY!!! THAT TRAILER HAD A BAKERY!! HOLY!! DOES SHE ACTUALLY DELIVER BREAD IN THIS?

Also, the trailer also keeps alive my theory that it is another Miyazaki film where potentially very little really happens. 

So, this is another Ghibli film on our list and another that I was a little surprised filled one of the Ghibli positions in the top 100 at the expense of other options. It also pulls Japan clear of Italy and Korea and brings it hot on the heels of India in the leader board stakes.  

With a bunch of animated bighitters still to come, can Japan challenge France for the overall crown?

From Amazon user,  Stacy T

I would have given it 5 stars, but I wish that Amazon had added in the description that the soundtrack was a different version than the original release in America. My family has loved this movie for years and were so sad when our old DVD from the 90's was too scratched to play anymore. I thought it was a great find to see this DVD for such a low price, since you can't seem to get Studio Ghibli movies in a digital format. I was really disappointed when we played it for the first time and realized that it didn't have the soundtrack we remembered and that this version was the original Japanese soundtrack. The movie is of course, still wonderful...its just not the songs we know and love. Even some of the original lines for Jiji (Phil Hartman) are different in this version. Still one of our favorite Studio Ghibli films.

Films by Nation

7 - France

5 - Bollywood

4 - Japan

3 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

72nd: Andhadhun - India (2018)

2 top 10

94 pts  (More votes)

Assumed Plot: Okay, so this was not a Hindi word I knew, so I cheated and looked it up (but not the film itself of course). Apparently this title means Rage or Violence so... maybe this is an R Rated musical singalong with dance numbers that take place as horrific Mumbai Gang crimes are committed by the main protagonist / antagonist. It is essentially A ClockWork Orange meets Oldboy, but with songs. 

I think this film thinks it is French. It felt very French to me for some reason, except obviously not. 

It also feels like I was lead astray with that translation of rage. It appears to be more a blend of La La Land and Ray (but if Ray Charles was Stevie Wonder). This feels like it is a smaller scale film that some of the others that have made the list from India, but it also received a lot of love from at least a couple of people. 

It also puts India back on the heels of France and clear of the chasing pack once more. 

From Amazon user,  Readersread

I have not watched Bollywood movies since the 80's. So I didn't know what to expect. And what i got was truly pleasant and satisfying. A story masterfully told and life's absurdity lavishly presented. Oh the songs, I can't understand the ;lyrics since it's in their language but the music is simply magical. it seems long but I loved every minute of it. Now THAT's how a movie should be.

Films by Nation

7 - France

5 - Bollywood

3 - Italy

3 - Japan

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

No. No. No. 

I wish it was higher. I thought it will be higher. You should watch it. 

Andhadhun means blind rage.

But its supposed to be Andha Dhun which is Blind & Melody. The lead is blind who plays piano.

Edited by charlie Jatinder