Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

I expect a couple little blurbs in this episode are gonna cause a lot of discourse.

I also expect we'll revisit the events of this episode from different perspectives to fill in a few missing gaps. Because the episode as framed definitely gives the impression that certain key things happened off screen as most of the episode was from Osha's perspective and Torbin's words in episode 2 indicated that something else happened that he was privy to.

• Like 1

After episode 3, I still find myself liking what they're trying to do but feeling mixed on the actual execution. The real standout here is Jodi Turner-Smith who's performance binds this episode together even in its creakier moments. I would love to know more about her and her force coven but I'm guessing that's going to be pretty limited considering everything else this show has going on.

Spoiler

I think my biggest issue is the execution of the ending. Clearly we're only getting half of the story of what happened and we'll get the rest later which is fine. But does what we get make sense for Osha? Clearly all of the witches did not die in the fire that Mae started and even an 8 year old should realize that. So why is she convinced that Mae is responsible for all of their deaths and has never considered that more may have happened? It just feels sloppy and like it could've been staged in a way where Osha's point of view as an adult makes sense.

The Jedi were obviously involved in such a way that would lead Torbin to feel suicidal guilt and Sol has to have the full picture of events. So knowing that his group holds some degree of responsibility, it seems especially risky for Sol to take Osha on this quest to capture Mae. He has to know that the likelihood of the truth coming out is high and that Osha learning that truth presents a danger. I'm concerned that once we have the full pieces of this story, that we'll look back and see that the decisions characters made didn't really make sense and only occurred for plot related reasons instead of character ones. Hopefully I'm wrong!

yeah this just ain't hitting. I'll repeat again the sentiment that on paper the story is fine but there is something low energy and unengaging about it. I think at this point I'm gonna stop watching it weekly and just binge the rest when it's over. Maybe it'll play better like that.

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah this just ain't hitting. I'll repeat again the sentiment that on paper the story is fine but there is something low energy and unengaging about it. I think at this point I'm gonna stop watching it weekly and just binge the rest when it's over. Maybe it'll play better like that.

IDK I find a lot of the Disney shows have rather subpar production values but have insane budgets 

its odd 

The “ep 3 ruins Star Wars forever!!!!!” stuff from the other week is even more hilariously over the top now that I’ve seen the episode. There was nothing in that episode that warranted that kind of pathetic overreaction.

Anyway, another good episode for me, definitely on board with this so far. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

That's actually my plan, and how I watched Andor.  But I am popping in to see if it should be next on my list (after Sherlock - after vacation, I've now gotten halfway through Season 3.  It's tough having 90 minutes each time to watch - it's like watching a movie every time I sit down for it)...

Great episode. I really love the mystery and I'm curious to see what happens next.

But I'm just incredibly confused on what the internet is complaining about??? Do people think that the things that don't make sense are just plotholes and not deliberate storytellling????

• Like 2

Loved that the episode gave a great look at multiple character motivations, a bold choice to have the episode be completely a flash back but I liked it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

Loved that the episode gave a great look at multiple character motivations, a bold choice to have the episode be completely a flash back but I liked it. 

almost wonder what would have happened if this had been the first episode, perhaps directly after the Master Indara fight as a framing device.

We would lose the dread/foreboding, but I do wonder how it would play if we didn't know in advance that it'd all end in tears.  Not sure if it'd be better/worse, but it certainly would be different.

• Like 1

Haven't watched the third episode yet but really enjoyed the premiere! Seems like a big step up production wise from the other Star Wars live action shows other than Andor. How good is it to just have Jedi not be confined to familiar faces or being in hiding. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Youngstar said:

Great episode. I really love the mystery and I'm curious to see what happens next.

But I'm just incredibly confused on what the internet is complaining about??? Do people think that the things that don't make sense are just plotholes and not deliberate storytellling????

I think sw fans don't like the mystery box storytelling in Disney star wars cause they likely be disappointed with a sub par result.

Edited by Torontofan

After years of bitching and moaning about Rey being a Mary Sue and special snowflake, they're now bitching and moaning about the existence of the twins making Anakin less of the special snowflake that he's supposed to be? LMAO Kathleen is Queen for uncompromising and constantly leaning into the other direction for almost a decade now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: I dont watch the show, so i personally have no opinion on it.

But its just astounding how especially YouTube is currently flooded with videos ripping apart this 3rd episode. And this time its not even only the anti-woke crowd, its "normal" YouTubers as well (for example Jeremy Jahns or Supercuts Delight). It seems like there a lot of Star Wars fans really pissed off right now.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

But its just astounding how especially YouTube is currently flooded with videos ripping apart this 3rd episode. And this time its not even only the anti-woke crowd, its "normal" YouTubers as well (for example Jeremy Jahns or Supercuts Delight). It seems like there a lot of Star Wars fans really pissed off right now.

Yeah people dont get if only the anti woke crowd hates a tv show or movie, intial scores crash and recover.

Like they did for asoskha and Andor and other tv shows and projects.

As of now the scores are getting worse over time, which shows a lot of the casual fanbase dont like this show. 

Episode 3 was just lol, and i stopped watching myself. 

Edited by Torontofan

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Jahns isn't anti-woke crowd but his actual video is full of very unreasonable criticism, I feel he was looking for something to be angry about. 

Spoiler

It's pretty clear that the way that the twins were conceived is going to be explored further and it's also pretty clear that it's not the same at all as Anakin's birth. 

He also seems to be against any Jedi characters acting in a negative way because the "Jedi must always be heroes" 

And very much acts like the Jedi were 100% assholes in this episode when from their perspective they definitely had reason to think that the children were possibly being raised by a dark side cult. 

Edited by Menor the Destroyer

4 hours ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

it's also pretty clear that 

Hide contents

it's not the same at all as Anakin's birth. 

I don't agree that's clear at all. 

Hide contents

the obvious reading to me is that this is going to be analogous to the Grogu-cloning stuff which is clearly intended to connect to Palpatine's return 

when from the jedi's perspective

But  that's the messiness of "culture war"/culture war adjacent stuff that exists even outside of pure CW discourse. I really think a lot of people are reading external authorial statements into these bits of worldbuilding/setup instead of them being strictly in-universe comments and they dislike those sentiments (at least as it relates to star wars). At least, that's how I read that referenced Jams video. 

I'd love to see how the discourse changes if the visual text of the show 

Spoiler

reinforces the "hey, these witches are probably genuinely evil guys using evil force magic" idea (even if Jedi remain compromised) instead of the coven being potentially bad limited to a single line (which can be plausibly read as a statement on jedi being narrow minded) via something like a green tinted lens or green fire in the background. You know:

th?id=OIP.VjMf2s_FlvfvrrFSEVDZdwHaEK%26p

I don't know but it would be really interesting to see how people would have responded if that "position of the witches" stuff was not really debatable. 

Perhaps the simpler answer is that Star Wars is continuing to pay the price of bad content produced in the 21st century. People dislike both the prequel and TLJ moves to define the jedi and that continues to create problems for the franchise when it goes back to the core characters of the series.