Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

9 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I sure it'll be fine but when everyone is a Jedi and everyone has a lightsaber it makes the universe feel boring.  The poster was dark and gritty but the trailer wasn't.

You do know this is a story specifically about the Jedi at the height of their power.

44 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Meh trailer. Still curious since it's the new republic era and the showrunner .

Technically and vfx wise ,some shots gave me Kenobi vibes.

Apparently none of The Acolyte was shot on the volume (which I think became synonymous with people's shaky feelings about Kenobi's visuals).

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's almost as if SW has a "Broken Base" of fans, to use the TV Tropes terminology. 😛 

(the real "problem" is that SW has such a large fanbase/casually interested group of folks is that it is literally impossible to appeal to everyone, all the time)

((exasperated by the fact that OG SW is a mishmash of VERY different genres and cultural influences))

(((Further exasperated by the, shall we say, different tones/styles of stories of the various films and series over the last 45+ years)))

I think some people might find themselves feeling a little happier once they accept they may only like some of Star Wars (which is totally fine!).

6 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Apparently none of The Acolyte was shot on the volume (which I think became synonymous with people's shaky feelings about Kenobi's visuals).

Which is ironic, because the most criticized scenes were (mostly) on traditional green screens!

• Like 2

Looks great. Editing of the trailer is definitely a little strange at times… but that’s because they’re editing “around” something ;) Loved how many aliens and puppets we’re seeing. Between this and House of the Dragon in June, I am going to be vibing so hard.

11 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Looks great. Editing of the trailer is definitely a little strange at times… but that’s because they’re editing “around” something ;) Loved how many aliens and puppets we’re seeing. Between this and House of the Dragon in June, I am going to be vibing so hard.

• Like 3

Teaser looked great for a teaser, and I really liked both posters I've seen here.

I'm actually surprised by how fun it looked, I somehow thought it would feel and look different than it does in the teaser, not sure how though.

Consider me optimistic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starphanluke said:

I was going to make a baby Yoda joke but considering the time period I guess it has to be a middle-aged actual Yoda joke.

On a (probably) unrelated note, with Carrie-Anne in a big fight scene in this trailer with the titular acolyte and all of the talk of murdered Jedi in the rest of the trailer, is she going to make it past the first episode? 

• Like 2

The series is a love letter to some of Headland’s favorite martial arts sagas and samurai films, like Come Drink with Me and Yojimbo, with a fighting style crafted after wushu. Given that the era of the High Republic is a time free of galaxy-embroiling wars, Headland chose to focus her storytelling on more personal conflicts and smaller one-on-one battles to reveal the new characters on-screen.

Set during the era of the High RepublicThe Acolyte will begin to unravel how an esteemed organization like the Jedi Order could be in its golden age and also on the cusp of the chaos that unfolds in the Skywalker saga. “If Star Wars is about the underdog versus the institution, [in The Acolyte] the Jedi are the institution,” Headland says. “I was so interested in a storyline where the Jedi were at the height of their power — and I don't mean The Phantom Menace, because at that point, there's a Sith Lord in the Senate that they're not picking up on.” Headland wanted to explore further back, when seeing a Sith seemed as likely as encountering a velociraptor. “Like it's a thing I've heard of, but it's not a thing that you would ever consider you'd be interacting with.”

With a darker tone focusing on the duality that exists beyond the simplistic black-and-white view of good versus evil, The Acolyte asks a key question before the fall of the Jedi: “What went wrong?” Headland asks. “And if the bad guys are actually the underdog, it just seemed like a cool reversal.”

Beyond the other film influences, Headland has infused her love of the original films, current books, and Legends lore into the story. “There were certain things that I really wanted to do. You'll see a half Theelin, half human Jedi, Jecki, played by Dafne Keen, which was always a dream of mine,” Headland says. She first fell in love with the species when Rystáll Sant joined the Max Rebo Band in the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi. “There's also some EU lore that I decided to put in because I thought it was so cool and no one told me I couldn't,” she adds with a laugh. The series will introduce a Zygerrian Jedi and canonize one species that’s yet to be seen, Headland reveals. “There are a couple of really big EU ideas that are utilized both early on in the series and later in the series,” she hints.

Fans of the best-selling High Republic books and comics that kicked off the era will recognize Mirialan Jedi Vernestra Rwoh, played by actor Rebecca Henderson. The character makes her live-action debut about 100 years older than the teenage prodigy we first met in The High Republic. “I'm just so excited for people to see her in this show because she is so different,” Headland says. “She’s very rarely in the mission robes adventuring and dreaming. I think, as the show goes on, you'll understand why. She has seen so much and she is so in-tune and in love with the Force. Here she's much more of a high-ranking official. The other Jedi revere her. I'm just really excited for people to see her in this show and to see the performance.”

In fact, like Sol notes in the trailer, our eyes may well be deceiving us. “This is very incendiary,” Headland says before signing off, a glimmer of mischief in her eye. “But whatever you think The Acolyte is, it’s not that. It's a drop in the bucket, baby. Just hang in there and check it out.”

YiBe40t.png YiBe40t.png YiBe40t.png 

@Starphanluke

link: https://www.starwars.com/news/leslye-headland-interview

• Like 2

Interesting.  Pour one out for the Dathomiri:

Jodie Turner Smith, in the teaser trailer has a line, “This is about power, and who is allowed to use it.” What would you like to say about that?

HEADLAND: I've always seen Star Wars as...well, I wouldn't say all of Star Wars. I think Star Wars is really complicated, but I think one of the themes of Star Wars is usually underdog versus institutional threat, right? That’s one aspect of it. And to me, in that particular era, the Jedi are not a threat at all. They're a benevolent, balanced, I think well-intentioned, beautiful institution that has amassed an enormous amount of power. So the question becomes, is it right for an institution to have that much power? I think that sometimes people get a little caught up in the morality of “Oh, the good people can use power, and the bad people can't,” and it's more about who is allowed to amass power, and who is allowed to use it for their own ends.

What if you are Force sensitive and you don't wanna become a Jedi? What happens then? Are you not allowed to utilize your power? George would say that it fades without training, but is there no training going on at all, in the whole galaxy? No one has figured out a way to do that beyond the Jedi. Obviously we know that the Sith are still doing the Rule of Two at this point, so there's a training aspect going on in that sense. You have Force Witches, similar to Nightsisters, who are training each other, we know that. There are no Nightsisters in the show, but we just know that there are different factions, and even in the EU and in the High Republic, there's talk of Force cults that have decided to retreat from society, and now I'm getting too nerdy. But anyway, point being, it is an institution allowed to amass that amount of power, even if their intentions are, are “good”

Got to say, reading shit like this makes my ears perk up in a good... nay, great way.  I love it when SW remembers there's more to the Force than Jedi/Sith and if this show is gonna explore some of the underlying concepts of the Jedi amassing too much power and no matter how well intentioned a group is, no group should be the sole arbitrators of power?

Well, this could be My Jam just as much as Andor was, just in a very different way.

Really is a fantastic interview, and I encourage people to read it:  https://collider.com/the-acolyte-jedi-clone-wars/

(also talks about the possibility of a Season 2, is this "a four hour movie" and other streaming concerns)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Interesting.  Pour one out for the Dathomiri:

Got to say, reading shit like this makes my ears perk up in a good... nay, great way.  I love it when SW remembers there's more to the Force than Jedi/Sith and if this show is gonna explore some of the underlying concepts of the Jedi amassing too much power and no matter how well intentioned a group is, no group should be the sole arbitrators of power?

Well, this could be My Jam just as much as Andor was, just in a very different way.

Really is a fantastic interview, and I encourage people to read it:  https://collider.com/the-acolyte-jedi-clone-wars/

(also talks about the possibility of a Season 2, is this "a four hour movie" and other streaming concerns)

This is good. They really ought to acknowledge more that it makes no sense at all that in the whole universe only the Jedi and the Sith(both sides of the same coin/group basically) would have a monopoly over the entire force.

It has never made much sense, and as was said in the interview, even the lore doesn't support that idea, and yet every "main" movie leans on this idea. It doesn't make sense to narrow your possibilities so much, so it's good that they continue to expand on other force users.

• Like 3

There's this kind of cheap and juvenile  feeling that I honestly was not expecting at all. Doesn’t feel cinematic. This didn't get me excited nor it feels exciting. 

Let's see but the fighting glimpses we see also looks blah and stiff and not organic. 

EDIT: It also feels like we've done this before. We just might be getting into this zone where with all this D+ content there's really not much different things Star Wars can do. I mean, hunting Jedi? We've seen plenty.

Edited by justnumbers

44 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

There's this kind of cheap and juvenile  feeling that I honestly was not expecting at all. Doesn’t feel cinematic. This didn't get me excited nor it feels exciting. 

Let's see but the fighting glimpses we see also looks blah and stiff and not organic. 

EDIT: It also feels like we've done this before. We just might be getting into this zone where with all this D+ content there's really not much different things Star Wars can do. I mean, hunting Jedi? We've seen plenty.

We are in the high republic era.  Jedi are at the height  of their power . So alot of Jedi activity.

But do agree on the teaser being  underwhelming and sort of dull and felt it was running through the motions.  Left me with nothing to chew on really .

Only the actual product will tell. It's just an under 2 min teaser.

4 hours ago, justnumbers said:

It also feels like we've done this before.

As opposed to yet another project exploring what happened between Episode III and Episode IV?

Or yet another Mandalorian project or spin-off? (or yet another project exploring what happened between Episode VI and Episode VII?)

Or more Skywalker stories? Or spin-off of spin-offs of characters stemming from Skywalker stories?

Bring me more of stuff like The Acolyte and less of everything above, thank you 

Thanks to Star Wars fans, the trailer launch for The Acolyte has been one to remember.

Released yesterday, the trailer for The Acolyte garnered 51.3 million views in its first 24 hours. This is a new digital-only record for any Lucasfilm Disney+ series, surpassing every trailer for The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Ahsoka. We’re grateful for your support, and can’t wait for you to experience the series.

• Astonished 1