YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

This movie just got booted to September in my country. I really don't get why, especially since its original date was right on the cusp of summer vacation here.

It is worth noting that Disney+ is set to launch here on June 14th. So my guess is that they don't want that launch overshadowed, but couldn't move it to July because of Thor.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, WittyUsername said:

I just checked out of sheer curiosity, and a lot of people on Twitter are not happy about the movie having a gay kiss in it. 

This is so annoying. I’m still surprised that this is such an issue in blockbusters still. There was a bit of a reaction to the gay kiss in Eternals when I saw it in a theatre. It doesn’t help that gay characters keep getting put into these properties with less appeal (Lightyear, Eternals, Fantastic Beasts) as opposed to more promising franchises which makes representation questionable. Hopefully the homophobic backlash doesn’t hurt this movie too much. 

• Like 1

I mean, I'd say Lightyear is about as bankable a movie as Pixar can make assuming it's halfway decent. Eternals also did ok IIRC.

I honestly think the complaining is a lot of hot air not worth reacting to. Bigotry dies hard, but western civilization at large has established for awhile they're willing to turn up for movies w/ queer representation in them.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AniNate said:

I mean, I'd say Lightyear is about as bankable a movie as Pixar can make assuming it's halfway decent. Eternals also did ok IIRC.

I honestly think the complaining is a lot of hot air not worth reacting to. Bigotry dies hard, but western civilization at large has established for awhile they're willing to turn up for movies w/ queer representation in them.

Is it though? I’m not sure if I have as much faith in this as everyone else seems to. A Toy Story movie this is not. I also believe the Pixar brand is sort of tarnished after the last few movies were dumped on Disney+ tbh. I just don’t think this will have the kind of appeal to kids as an ordinary Toy Story movie. Of course Lightyear will be big, but I don’t know if I think it underperforming expectations a bit would surprise me.

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Is it though? I’m not sure if I have as much faith in this as everyone else seems to. A Toy Story movie this is not. I also believe the Pixar brand is sort of tarnished after the last few movies were dumped on Disney+ tbh. I just don’t think this will have the kind of appeal to kids as an ordinary Toy Story movie. Of course Lightyear will be big, but I don’t know if I think it underperforming expectations a bit would surprise me.

Pixar brand is excellent actually.

Yes the movies was on D+ and definitely this sucks, but they're all get phenomenal numbers and excellent reception from audiences. 

Soul break streaming records, Luca was the biggest movie of 2021, and Turning Red is way ahead of everything but Encanto (globally it beats Encanto actually). And all of them very well received. 

I really can't see how their brand can be tarnished, people don't care about being on D+ if they loved the movies and saw them massively. 

Lightyear is another story tho, but everyone who saw the first 30 minutes high praised it and the trailer views are massive, let's see if this will translate in box office since we didn't get any big animated movie after pandemic.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I also believe the Pixar brand is sort of tarnished after the last few movies were dumped on Disney+ tbh.

Eh, they were there bc Disney realized they don't consistently have enough top tier content to push out every week and use a trusted brand, Pixar, to get some views. Maybe Disney (I hesitate to say the obvious with "Chapek") proper had less faith in the brand for some reason (Even  Pixar artists felt this way), but I don't think viewers think poorly of Pixar.

• Like 1

Yeah we're long past the whole "straight to video/streaming = bad" concept from like a decade ago. Even disregarding their actual critical reception, I doubt anybody was like "golly gee wiz, that Luca movie sure looks good. But uh-oh, it's only on Disney+, I guess it's pure garbage". The bigger issue for Lightyear (and all their animated movies from now on) though is that I think a lot of families and audiences would rather just wait a month or two for it to be on Disney+. Encanto made a bigger splash on streaming because people would have rather waited to see it for free instead of paying money for the theater. I thought this would be an issue even pre-pandemic, but after all that's happened these past couple years, this only solidifies Disney's animated movies as "we'll wait for them" events.

48 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

It is very gorgeous indeed. I'm feeling if everything goes right, this can be a delightful adventure experience pretty much like Star Wars, with some Indiana Jones vibe, very excited. 

Animation on Pixar recent movies are very impressive overall, since they started to play a little bit with styles (Soul / Luca / Red) i think they're technique is really shining.