Eric S'ennui

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

10 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Unrelatedly:

Reveal hidden contents

It is really obvious when you compare season 1 and 2 of The Mandalorian.

Spoiler

Season 1 was full of new and interesting characters, for obvious reasons, as none existed yet. Season 2 had none. Every "new" character of decent importance was a pre-existing one. In part they were implemented in a great way, but that isn't really the point.

Chapter 9 had Cobb Vanth (old), chapter 10 the frog lady (hardly relevant), 11 had Bo-Katan (old), 12 didn't have anyone new, 13 had Ahsoka (old) and the female villain whose name escapes me, 14 had Boba Fett and Fennec Shand (both old), 15 had returns from the past, the only memorable new bit was the short appearance of the Imperial officer. 16 had Luke (old).

For the most part that worked really well in the individual chapters, but it still leaves a drastic difference between the two seasons. One lived by creating new characters and catch phrases ("This is the Way", "I have spoken"), the other brings pre-existing characters into live-action tv.

• Like 2

What is actually the point of this show?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it. But TBH I was enjoying the first few episodes a lot more, seeing Boba in new territory and having to make decisions.

Literally don't understand why this show even exists when they clearly are only interested in the Mandalorian. Like why go to the effort of producing this show instead of just making Mando S3? 

Also, since I didn't watch it immediately within the first 0.3 minutes of release, I naturally got majorly spoiled for Luke, Grogu, Ahsoka and Cad Bane. Which pissed me off before I started watching it. BUT then my boy Cobb Vanth pops up and all was forgiven.

Defo need to watch the finale on Wednesday instead of waiting till the weekend lol...

Luke's CGI was IMO distracting, something about his voice. Does anyone know if it's actually Mark Hamill voicing the character? Some of the lines had no expression and didn't sound like they had been spoken by a human. One line in particular had like an inflection in the wrong part of the line, makes me think it's digitally generated..?

And his mouth wasn't consistently moving with the voice.

Just recast it please ❤️

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

His Mando episode was good, tho.

While good, it was easily the worst of the season although it had novelty of featuring Boba. 

It was kinda cheap too compared to other epispdes. I have rewatched season 2 thrice now and his episode was the most faulty. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

That was a pretty decent season (?) finale, IMO.

And, yes, there is a mid-credits scene.

Spoiler

Not quite as impactful as the end of Mando S2, but still there is one.

Cobb Vanth Lives.

(Cobb Vanth series, incoming???)

Edited by Porthos

You know, I'm gonna get this in now, and on the record, before I head to bed.  And I'm gonna pull something/paraphrase some things I was just talking to @Cap off thread about:

I'm at the stage of my life where I am more than fine in saying something was just... good.  

Not everything has to be WORST EPISODE EVER or GIMME MY DAMN OSCARS.  There is room in-between for "good, not great" or "decent enough".  Or even the dreaded "not great, not terrible" meme.

There were two big failings with this series/season.

1) It was disjointed as all hell, which made it difficult for things to get in a flow.

2) It didn't spend enough time connecting the dots/explaining some character motivations. 

The series was in a weird place where it would have been better to either be six episodes (and cut down some stuff) or eight (expand and flesh out).

But all that being said, it was still entertaining much much more often than not.  I was personally gripped through out most of this finale in particular, wondering just how they heck the heroes were gonna get out of this jam.  I also felt the direction itself was much better than in Ep 3. 

More to the point, I'm too damn old to spend time worrying about how it could have been better if it had been more tightly plotted or a bit better structured.

I had an enjoyable time watching it, and that is more than good enough for me. 

And if that isn't good enough for others?  Well, plenty of other SW series coming down the pike this year.    We may not be at the stage where there is new SW every five minutes like Marvel, but we might not be that far off by this time next year.

Actual spoiler comment follows:

Spoiler

Ironically, I think my only real complaint might be reuniting Mando and Baby Yoda so quickly.  That isn't really solved by comments about the this particular series being on the disjointed side more than it should have been.

But, then again, I suppose it doesn't matter that much if it was done in three episodes here or in three episodes in Mando S3 proper.  But it's still not what I was expecting, and something I want to chew over before I decide one way or the other.

Is a choice, mind.  And one that is gonna be talked about when the dust settles, if I had my guess.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think at the end of the day , this show didn't change anything for Star Wars. I guess it's cute for people who are invested in Star Wars but for me who is not that much into lore of Boba ,it was very underwhelming.

Only good things are the one which we will see in Mando S3 anyway. That's it.

I stand by my criticisms of the show (especially earlier this season) but I would chalk this show up as an overall win. How it got there near the end is open for ridicule I suppose, but a win is a win. This was a banger finale. Certainly one scene (you'll know which one which I'm already sure will be red hot GIF on Twitter) is pretty dang precious, including the ending as we wait for Mando S3 at Xmas but hey in the meantime we have Kenobi and Andor. The last one I just can't get excited about conceptually but hey if its watchable like the live-action SW shows (in varying degrees) have been so far, I'll give it a shot. 

I seemed to like the episode more than most SW fans going by the reactions on Reddit, but it wasn’t anything amazing. It was a fun episode, but kinda underwhelming especially for the season finale. Part of that was the disjointed nature and differing directions in the show that made the buildup to this pretty weak. 

I enjoyed the series for the most part, but I’m very ready to see Favreau-less shows to say the least.

• Like 1

Disappointing. Overall it had some entertaining bits to not be as bad as Episodes 1 and 3 by Rodriguez but still such a step down from the previous two episodes. The same issues with poor action and visuals, and the script wasn't much good either. 

Spoiler

The action was so bad, which I guess I should have expected from Rodriguez. You introduce these super cool droids and then make them even more useless than Stormtroopers. I never felt any tension because it was really obvious that the droids were just designed to miss every single shot they took. I mean they had clear shots of the entire group just running in front of them and didn't hit a single person. The Pykes were even worse. A few cool scenes with Boba/Mando jetpacks, the rancor's first appearance and Grogu calming it down, and the final death of Cad Bane, but overall it just was very poor.

A lot of the stuff in the episode made very little sense. Hiding in the bombed out club in the first place was ridiculous and poorly justified. Boba not wanting to leave Mos Espa ever just felt really stupid, it's not like he can't come back, and Slave One can be very useful to combat ground forces, as we have already seen in this very show! The dialogue felt really forced to make certain points about Boba's development rather than letting us see it organically. 

Also the problems this show has had with developing its characters became a big issue here when the Mods had their own viewpoint. I still don't even know what their names are or anything about them as people. Krrsantan is really cool looking but I just don't care about him. Even Fennec lacks definition, her two episodes in Bad Batch showed more of her character than this entire show. 

Mando and Grogu reuniting was really cute and heartwarming but just feels too soon, now the scene in Mando S2 finale lacks weight. 

• Like 1

I didn't mind watching it but what's the point? 

1. would have liked a lot better without any MANDO or GROGU stuff

2. I guess that's it

just no stakes, no point, time killer to just show that "well Disney+ has new show"

DISNEY+ is awful.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 1