cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

I haven't trawled through comments on any media, but the views and overall engagement doesn't seem as important to me as the reaction to the trailer and from the little I've seen, it doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic? I dunno. I wouldn't want it to flop, but I fully expect it.

59 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I haven't trawled through comments on any media, but the views and overall engagement doesn't seem as important to me as the reaction to the trailer and from the little I've seen, it doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic? I dunno. I wouldn't want it to flop, but I fully expect it.

Trailer reactions are pretty positive overall I’d say. Definitely not a Shazam situation. 

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

I think the biggest problem with this one is it looks like domestic market will do all the heavy lifting, it doesn't look like it's gonna have international appeal, mostly domestic play only.

Yeah! Latino starred movies rarely do well in... latino countries!

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

is this guaranteed to be a part of the next dc universe regardless of box office ?

Yesterday there was an article from a trade that implied that blue beetle will be incorporated into the new DCU. 

• Like 1

I don't see what they do with it in the DCU beyond maybe a cameo or minor role in the eventual big film if it does poorly. Those declarations strike me as a nothingburger as they probably don't want people to think it's going to be rebooted soon after what happened to Shazam, but at the end of the day it will definitely come down to whether the film performs or not.

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

I don't see what they do with it in the DCU beyond maybe a cameo or minor role in the eventual big film if it does poorly. Those declarations strike me as a nothingburger as they probably don't want people to think it's going to be rebooted soon after what happened to Shazam, but at the end of the day it will definitely come down to whether the film performs or not.

Thinking beyond the currently announced projects - you have Damien Wayne for the next Batman project. You can easily have him in a Teen Titans/Young Justice type of project, and get Blue Beetle in there as well. That's about where I'd see him fitting in, IF they ended up keeping him in the continuity. Don't see any potential beyond that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Firepower said:

I think the biggest problem with this one is it looks like domestic market will do all the heavy lifting, it doesn't look like it's gonna have international appeal, mostly domestic play only.

Don’t underestimate Latin America like that! Also I’m curious how it’ll do in East Asia because Blue Beetle has a very Guyver/Super Sentai/Kamen Rider type of aesthetic. 

Also for what it’s worth, Blue Beetle already trounced Shazam 2 and Black Adam on social media. Tik Tok has the trailer at 3x the views of the Shazam 2/Black Adam. I think Gen Z and younger Millennials are going to carry this film to success! (Very smart playing this in front of Mario). 

• Like 1

Instead of just being another Shazam stint this has the Latino demographics and cobra kai fandom (Cobra Kai audience >> DC fandom in this case) behind it and a fertile box office slot.

I dont know a thing about Brazil/Spain market but those markets can pretty much save this movie if it clicks with teens and families.