The Wild Eric

Bros | September 30, 2022 | Universal

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

And that's a good thing! But hopefully his people will tell him to tone it down going forward because if he spends the whole press tour pushing this "I'm The Chosen One" narrative that jumps out in that interview it's going to be an exhausting ride that ensures a lot of people will root for this to fail.

Yeh he might be going a bit too far. But there was unfortunately discourse on gay Twitter for Fire Island too. There were a lot of complaints that the two typically hot guys were the lead characters and both got together with typically hot guys in the end. I don’t know what people want lol. 

Uncoupled has it for being about rich white gays in NYC. It’s A Sin had it for being “trauma, why can’t we have happy gay content?”. Heartbreaker had it for being “too sweet”. Love Simon gets a hard time for being “too Disney”.

Twitter is impossible to please. As we all know. There’s always a lame discourse about gay content. Black twitter are now insinuating that white gays have “enough” gay content, that’s the next trend it seems. 

Edit: by the way, I love them all. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

So I just watched this and I gotta say... Eichner can't act. And it also pains me to say, because I'm actually a big fan of Eichner, Amy Schumer is a better writer and performer. Trainwreck is a better movie. Better put together too. This had almost horrific editing and very obvious ADR.

Overall it's fine, but I really wanted to like it more than I did.

However, the $4.8 million opening for “Bros” is so low that it also means many LGBTQ viewers didn’t show up to see the comedy in theaters either. So why did “Bros” disappoint?

The article makes 5 points:

• The star power just wasn’t there.
  • The marketing prioritized the film’s importance over the film’s comedy.
  • October is a nonstarter for rom-coms.
  • Consumers were distracted by strong streaming releases.
  • Has ‘The Bubble’ tarnished Judd Apatow?

Only four of top 100 romcoms at the box office are October releases, who knew? Bros is technically under September, barely, but the same logic applies (it's not a romcom time of year).

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Only four of top 100 romcoms at the box office are October releases, who knew? Bros is technically under September, barely, but the same logic applies (it's not a romcom time of year).

I know this is with the benefit of hindsight, but what even was the point of premiering this at TIFF? 

32 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I know this is with the benefit of hindsight, but what even was the point of premiering this at TIFF? 

Hustlers premiered at TIFF to rave reviews/awards buzz, had some appeal to a gay audience (though primarily women) and opened later that month. Universal hoped history would repeat itself? Except Hustlers had a clear premise, wasn't a romcom and also starred JLo. Even Constance Wu was on a network sitcom and had had a huge movie hit the year before. Hustlers opened six days after its TIFF showing, while Bros had three weeks between the premiere and opening day, so the buzz dissipated. Just not the same thing at all...

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Hustlers premiered at TIFF to rave reviews/awards buzz, had some appeal to a gay audience (though primarily women) and opened later that month. Universal hoped history would repeat itself? Except Hustlers had a clear premise, wasn't a romcom and also starred JLo. Even Constance Wu was on a network sitcom and had had a huge movie hit the year before. Hustlers opened six days after its TIFF showing, while Bros had three weeks between the premiere and opening day, so the buzz dissipated. Just not the same thing at all...

Woman King ended up having a similar route to Hustlers (albeit less successful). So I guess that happened just not with Bros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I am not sure how "consumers were distracted" is a valid argument when there are 4 movies making more money than Bros.

Also lmao at The Bubble being a problem considering nobody even remembers it exists. I certainly didn't before reading this.

The release date was terrible but this thing opened with 4.8M. That is nothing. Literally nobody showed up. No different release date would have saved this.

The big issues were marketing and zero star power.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am not sure how "consumers were distracted" is a valid argument when there are 4 movies making more money than Bros.

Also lmao at The Bubble being a problem considering nobody even remembers it exists. I certainly didn't before reading this.

The release date was terrible but this thing opened with 4.8M. That is nothing. Literally nobody showed up. No different release date would have saved this.

The big issues were marketing and zero star power.

The article mentions the streaming competition as Blonde (lol) and Hocus Pocus 2. Hocus Pocus is a camp classic, but people can go to a theater and watch a 100 minute movie on Disney+ in the same weekend, if they really want.

I think their Apatow point is too specific, but the general audience does have a sense that he's fallen off since his glory days. His name promoting a comedy won't boost it like before. Trainwreck was seven years ago and even that had bigger stars compared to Bros.

So many miscalculations all around...

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Not sure how much I buy the month part, ticket to paradise has been doing quite well internationally and I assume will probably do well domestically as well.

• Like 1