Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (5/14-16)

21 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Only 200k for the re release of Top Gun. I guess people aren't excited about the franchise. Scott Piligrim did 700k a few weekends ago. This is bad news for the Top Gun sequel. Adults are staying away from theaters

Scott Pilgrim's re-release was highly promoted and has a devoted following given its "cult favorite" status (Edgar Wright updated the movie with technology that wasn't available in 2010 when it was originally made). Who knew Top Gun was being re-released in Dolby this weekend? Must have been a contractual obligation for the movie's 35th anniversary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Scott Pilgrim's re-release was highly promoted and has a devoted following given its "cult favorite" status (Edgar Wright updated the movie with technology that wasn't available in 2010 when it was originally made). Who knew Top Gun was being re-released in Dolby this weekend? Must have been a contractual obligation for the movie's 35th anniversary.

Fair enough, but i still don't see older people (TG2 supposed audience) coming back to the theaters in these corona times. We'll see how James Bond does in a few months. That'll be indicative

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I mean, if I go to a theater and pay it's because I want to see a movie and there's no other places to watch it...If I want to see people I can walk in the streets or go to a festival. It's not shocking to have people who want to focus on a movie they're interested in and paid for instead of hearing noises from strangers.

Besides, streaming allows watching with your friends at home, or your family so if you really feel that lonely well you have options too.

I said it's understandable. But of course streaming AND watching a film in theaters is possible with friends and family. I don't know about other countries but here it's very rare that somebody visits a theater as a single person (especially in the evening).
So I do not go to the theaters as a therapy (what a strange idea) and you missed my point. It can be much fun to see a long awaited film with a big cheerful crowd. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Fair enough, but i still don't see older people (TG2 supposed audience) coming back to the theaters in these corona times. We'll see how James Bond does in a few months. That'll be indicative

Looking at the schedule, we'll have to wait until the fall to see how major movies that exclusively target adult audiences will fare in the recovery climate since studios ended up sending almost all of the completed adult-driven movies they had in the pipeline a year ago to streaming and everything else was either in the middle of production or about to begin filming when everything shut down.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I mean, if I go to a theater and pay it's because I want to see a movie and there's no other places to watch it...If I want to see people I can walk in the streets or go to a festival. It's not shocking to have people who want to focus on a movie they're interested in and paid for instead of hearing noises from strangers.

Besides, streaming allows watching with your friends at home, or your family so if you really feel that lonely well you have options too.

Agreed. I know for some people the cinema experience is a social one (and for something like Endgame, the packed opening night crowd of likeminded fans undeniably added to it), but personally the social aspect of it is the least important to me. I go to the cinema to see a film on a big screen with sound that’s better than anything I can get at home. Other people in the auditorium are generally nothing more than a distraction, and at worst, annoyance.

Horror crowds at multiplexes in particular are generally really shitty, laughing at inappropriate moments, loudly talking, restlessly kicking chairs and checking their phones if it’s a scene that doesn’t feature gore. For something like Spiral, I’m happy to wait for VOD just to avoid that kind of experience.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

^
Of course that's absolutely annoying. In this case I would also watch it anywhere else than in theaters.
At my usual theater the crowd is often pretty lively but focussing on the film. And e.g. action films are loud enough anyway.
I read my first post again and now I understand. I should have explained it better. Visiting a theater is - I think - mostly a companionship thing in Germany. Here we talk about the films before and after the show, often in combination with visiting a bar etc. And after a while we also recognized other people who obviously have a similar taste and also talked with them.

And there's another motivation for me: I want to see how the films are doing. And I'm glad if I see that it's crowded and that people like the film. My usual theater, the mathäser, is one of the biggest in Germany and therefore a quite good indicator.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

I don't know about what kind of promo they did, but Scott Piligrim did way better. Young people seem to be back at theaters. We have no proof adults (let's say over 40 ) are coming back. I'd love a breakdown of the audience for these movies. I suspect most are young people

US studios don’t really make movies for older people anymore. (With the occasional exception.)

Underwhelming for Spiral. Perhaps this is my personal take coming into play, but I do feel like the release of the mostly negative reviews took the air out of its hype to some extent. Viewers who had perhaps been hopefully that this would have more than a Se7en vibe than a Saw one based on the trailers might ultimately have been put off by reviews that basically just pegged it as just another Saw sequel, but glossier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Box Office Hit said:

Rough year so far for Lionsgate with both Chaos Walking and Voyagers bombing and Spiral disappointing. Hopefully, The Hitmans's Bodyguard can pull some decent numbers next month.

To be fair, none of these movies would've done well even in a pandemic-free environment. Barb & Star would've easily been a potential $100M+ surprise hit for them but that ended up bypassing theaters completely.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Barb & Star would've easily been a potential $100M+ surprise hit for them but that ended up bypassing theaters completely.

YES! There were so many points while I was watching Barb & Star where I sat there thinking of how fun it would be to see audience reactions. It definitely had the feel of a super-leggy summer comedy breakout.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, none of these movies would've done well even in a pandemic-free environment. Barb & Star would've easily been a potential $100M+ surprise hit for them but that ended up bypassing theaters completely.

Agreed, Barb & Star was hilarious, I loved it 😂