The Panda

BOT's Top 50 Westerns of All Time: or Cowboy films any westerner at heart must see BOT edition (Closed, reveal starts later this week)

48 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Is Solo western?

All of Star Wars is pretty clearly space fantasy, although they do take some inspiration from Westerns.

The primary examples of sci-fi westerns (not all movies): Westworld, Serenity, Cowboys vs Aliens (gag), Stephen King’s Dark Tower series, Logan, Back to the Future III

Really though even if Solo were eligible I’d recommend just watching more traditional Westerns because from that sub genre alone there are well over 50 movies better than it

• Like 3

Not easy for me to make a Top 50 list but thanks to a Bavarian TV station which broadcasts every Friday at least one western I know enough to participate.
I didn't see El Dorado mentioned so far or maybe I overlooked it.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3

FYC

- River of No Return (1954, Robert Mitchum, Marilyn Monroe,...)
- The Shootist (1976, John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, James Stewart,...)
- Red Sun (1971, Charles Bronson, Toshirô Mifune, Alain Delon,...)
- They Call Me Trinity (1970, Bud Spencer, Terence Hill,...)
- Django (1966, Franco Nero,...)
- Shalako (1968, Sean Connery, Brigitte Bardot,...)
- Flaming Star (1960, Elvis Presley,...)
- Man in the Wilderness (1971, Richard Harris,...)

On 6/29/2021 at 6:52 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Haven't really seen a lot of westerns, so gonna be kind of hard for me. Likely will end up sticking mostly to Eastwood and Ford films for this list. 

So this might be a good time to co-op this thread for just a second.  The Zoom Film Club is showing Westerns on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday this month to Corresponded with the list. And then in the last week everything is due, we’re doing one a day.  

The schedule is as followed:

W - 7 - 9:30PM EST - High Noon

S - 10 - 2PM EST-  Johnny Guitar

M - 12 - 9PM EST - The Searchers
W - 14 - 9:30PM EST - Sergeant Rutledge 

S - 17 - 2PM EST- One Eyed Jacks

M - 19 - 9:30PM EST - Ride The High Country

W - 7 - 9:30PM EST - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

S - 10 - 2PM EST- Fistful of Dollars

Sun - The Wild Bunch

M - McCain and Miller

T - Buck and the Preacher

W - Pale Rider

Th - Geronimo: An American Legend

F - Tombstone 

S - The Rider

43065A9E-DDA6-4FA7-B33E-27A93BFE92E8.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cap said:

So this might be a good time to co-op this thread for just a second.  The Zoom Film Club is showing Westerns on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday this month to Corresponded with the list. And then in the last week everything is due, we’re doing one a day.  

The schedule is as followed:

W - 7 - 9:30PM EST - High Noon

S - 10 - 2PM EST-  Johnny Guitar

M - 12 - 9PM EST - The Searchers
W - 14 - 9:30PM EST - Sergeant Rutledge 

S - 17 - 2PM EST- One Eyed Jacks

M - 19 - 9:30PM EST - Ride The High Country

W - 7 - 9:30PM EST - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

S - 10 - 2PM EST- Fistful of Dollars

Sun - The Wild Bunch

M - McCain and Miller

T - Buck and the Preacher

W - Pale Rider

Th - Geronimo: An American Legend

F - Tombstone 

S - The Rider

43065A9E-DDA6-4FA7-B33E-27A93BFE92E8.jpeg

Sorry I haven't been to any of your screenings lately. I'll be sure to start joining them now (summer classes were more of a pain in the ass than I expected, but they finished today so it should be good now). What are the times for each day again? Completely forgot.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sorry I haven't been to any of your screenings lately. I'll be sure to start joining them now (summer classes were more of a pain in the ass than I expected, but they finished today so it should be good now). What are the times for each day again? Completely forgot.

It’s usually 9:30PM on weekdays and 2PM on Saturday 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Panda said:

Due date is being extended to August 7th, make it count!

I will, It's harder to fit in westerns and go through the to watch list the way I did with the animation's because westerns are so much longer, so I could definitely use the time.

As for those I have seen, I have had mixed results.

The Searchers was bad. The basic story is fine and could be remade today into a good film without making major changes, but the acting was so incredibly bad that it completely overshadows the good. Martin is supposed to be a serious character with dramatic moments, but I couldn't take him seriously when he acts like a little child the entire time.

When you combine that with the often poor dialogue and obviously fake studio parts, this is one of the most disappointing and overrated films I have seen in a while.

The Magnificent Seven is better than the modern remake and was enjoyable enough, but it has its issues and I certainly wouldn't consider it a great film.

Tombstone is very good and The Wild Bunch is even better, so I would definitely recommend seeing those for this list.

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, Tower said:

I will, It's harder to fit in westerns and go through the to watch list the way I did with the animation's because westerns are so much longer, so I could definitely use the time.

Try some Budd Boetticher joints they're all 75-80 minutes long and well-regarded. The Ox-Bow Incident, too. Anthony Mann's westerns are all 90-100 minutes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Try some Budd Boetticher joints they're all 75-80 minutes long and well-regarded. The Ox-Bow Incident, too. Anthony Mann's westerns are all 90-100 minutes.

Ox-Bow incident is great will feature highly on my list.

• Like 1