MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I wonder if Nolan is going to get the kind of kickback that Spielberg got in the 1990's..when Spielberg cut back on making "SPielberg" movies..Sci Fi/Fantasy/Action to deal with more serous topics "Schindler's List" ,"Saving Private Ryan""Armitsted" etc.

Yes, he still made the "Jurrasiac Parks" but it was clear his main intrest was elsewhere, the geek friiendly films just paid the bills for his more serious efforts.Lots of the geek fanboys were very angry about this.

I think Nolan is doing exactly what he wants. He only makes 1 movie every 2-3 years, and it's a large scale project with a good budget. It's not franchise material. Since 2009, he has only created one franchise movie and five non-franchise movies with big budgets and big ambition. He's riding the wave until the studios tell him they will no longer give him the budget to do these type of risky projects. 

From all I have read, RDJ has got to be   considered a front runner for the supporting actor awards for this.

Yhe whold cast is being praised., Murphy espicially, but seems to be a strong consensus that RDJ's is the film's best performance.

Nolan having the  most famous "Summer Stock Company of actors" since John Ford seems to be paying off.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think Nolan is doing exactly what he wants. He only makes 1 movie every 2-3 years, and it's a large scale project with a good budget. It's not franchise material. Since 2009, he has only created one franchise movie and five non-franchise movies with big budgets and big ambition. He's riding the wave until the studios tell him they will no longer give him the budget to do these type of risky projects. 

I think he really wants to avoid CBM's in particular.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who's this Grace person people keep referencing? The YouTube goof that no one takes seriously? I swear I wouldn't know they existed if not for the forum. 

I always just scroll on past when the discussion goes here. a lot of people who swear they can't stand her also seem to hang on her every word.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who's this Grace person people keep referencing? The YouTube goof that no one takes seriously? I swear I wouldn't know they existed if not for the forum. 

I disagree.  If you follow comic book movies even a little bit she's almost impossible to escape.  Her tweets and other BS are always plastered everywhere.  

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I disagree.  If you follow comic book movies even a little bit she's almost impossible to escape.  Her tweets and other BS are always plastered everywhere.  

Dude... I follow comic books movies along with all other movies... I had no idea she existed until people posted her videos here. I'm not kidding. Doesn't mean she doesn't have a following but heck there are others with MUCH bigger followings that I'm completely oblivious too as well.  

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Experimental isn’t at all the issue imo. I mean, how much more experimental do you get than a lot of his 00s stuff for their time? If anything, his recent films are reductive (Dunkirk borrows from Memento’s structure, Tenet (poorly) borrows a lot from Inception, etc). He used to be aces at the execution and pulling it off when he experimented. Recent Nolan is either more “been there, done that” or not being able to pull it off as smoothly when he shoots for the moon (TDKR, Interstellar). 

I think his style has started to become increasingly at odds with modern blockbusters. His use of sound and score, visual style, and even the pacing/editing of his films is IMO, a lot more experimental and different compared to its contemporaries of today. On a superficial level, structurally in terms of plot, yes there are similarities, but I do think some of these changes also contribute to why his films now feel different to his ones back then, whether you think that's better or worse.

So far as Oppenheimer is concerned... It's going to have a remarkable OW DOM, it's going to have very, very good if not great legs and it's one of if not the best reviewed movie so far this year... This coming from someone that didn't love Tenet, Interstellar, TDKR, TDK or BB. I can't imagine anyone that was remotely intrigued by this one not being ecstatic. Bask in the glory and enjoy the moment.  

• Like 1

Funny, disgruntled reactions from many Oppenheimer viewers in Saudi Arabia and other parts of the Middle East, where it’s been hyped for months. There was an expectation that this would be some kind of action movie 🤣 Audience very much divided.

• Haha 3

Really happy that Oppenheimer is getting good reviews. I've been a bit fan of all his films but Tenet was so bad I couldn't make it through the first hour. I don't know if it got better or something but the story seemed like total nonsense, and it was so bland. Almost like an AI generated the story. I genuinely couldn't for the life of me figure out what the characters were doing, or why, or honestly who they were

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

I'm not sure what they meant but the Trinity test is hauntingly perfect in the movie in my opinion and the end is perfect as its a reckoning 

Spoiler

she said scope felt small, was waiting for bright lights, etc, could be an expectations problem 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I wonder if Nolan is going to get the kind of kickback that Spielberg got in the 1990's..when Spielberg cut back on making "SPielberg" movies..Sci Fi/Fantasy/Action to deal with more serous topics "Schindler's List" ,"Saving Private Ryan""Armitsted" etc.

Yes, he still made the "Jurrasiac Parks" but it was clear his main intrest was elsewhere, the geek friiendly films just paid the bills for his more serious efforts.Lots of the geek fanboys were very angry about this.

I suspect Spielberg likes making fun movies alongside the serious movies, Nolan doesn't really do fun movies with a couple of exceptions indeed I couldn't imagine Nolan doing Catch Me You Can or The Terminal for example. 

I've always been impressed by directors who are able to shoot a film during post production of another film. Spielberg has done it a few times and Zemeckis made What Lies Beneath while Castaway was on a scheduled hiatus. I suspect Nolan wouldn't be able to do two films at once as he's quite meticulous. 

The experience of this was mind blowing 

this movie will surely inspire indie film makers because this is a small film production wise but the direction and editing makes it look huge 

It seriously looks like inception , Dunkirk , interstellar and tenet were experiments for him and this was purposeful

it showed Nolan didn’t lose his desire to be indie he was just given an unlimited budget in those movies and experimented with them 

here 

100 million budget 

57 days of shoots 

It’s unbelievable what he is able to do with a budget and makes cgi movies look like cartoons because those movies don’t seem organized or maticulously directed but just throwing everything at a green screen 

imagine what a director in these cg films would do if they would focus on the movie like Nolan 

Tarantino , Cameron , Nolan , Villeneuve , George Miller are the only ones capable of these . Other directors should learn from these people 

this was Nolan’s best picture , so far this year’s best picture, the best biopic I have seen . Prob the best movie since the 1990s glory days if movies . 🎦 

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect Spielberg likes making fun movies alongside the serious movies, Nolan doesn't really do fun movies with a couple of exceptions indeed I couldn't imagine Nolan doing Catch Me You Can or The Terminal for example. 

I've always been impressed by directors who are able to shoot a film during post production of another film. Spielberg has done it a few times and Zemeckis made What Lies Beneath while Castaway was on a scheduled hiatus. I suspect Nolan wouldn't be able to do two films at once as he's quite meticulous. 

Pretty amazing that Spielberg was able to juggle both Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List at the same time. That’s some GOAT multi-tasking. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty amazing that Spielberg was able to juggle both Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List at the same time. That’s some GOAT multi-tasking. 

Making the highest grossing film of the year and winning Best Picture/Director for a completely different film in the same year is probably the biggest Hollywood filmmaker flex of all time and I don't think we'll ever see it again. 

• Like 1