MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

4 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

The explosion not being extraordinary is a common complaint that I have from casual viewer reviews.

Nolan did not want the test to be just a big spectacle. That would have gone against everthing he is trying to do with this movie.

But some people just cannot live without their eye candy.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Nolan did not want the test to be just a big spectacle. That would have gone against everthing he is trying to do with this movie.

But some people just cannot live without their eye candy.

Yeah as a Nolan fan I know what I am getting into, but a lot of casual viewers aren't going to understand that. So brace for these negative reviews about the explosion being underwhelming lol

Still thinking this one over but I found it more engrossing as it went on. I can see how someone might have the opposite view, especially if you weren't expecting So Much Talking.

I never normally watch things in IMAX, but did here because it's Nolan and also the nearest AMC had today's IMAX tickets on sale at the standard price. It's LieMAX but still... If you can take or leave IMAX in general, I wouldn't say it's essential for Oppenheimer, but the sound design was incredible.

I heard a podcast that said the "Hey, it's that guy!" casting and famous faces in small roles helped with keeping the minor characters straight. The SAG Ensemble snubs will be brutal.

Spoiler

The last 20 minutes or so really drove home the purpose of the nonlinear story structure, besides being a way to keep Robert onscreen. That small moment where Strauss felt snubbed and blamed Oppenheimer for it, set off the entire feud that eventually brought about both their downfalls.

• Like 2

TBH Nolan should just make the trinity test accurately, how it actually was. Wouldn't like exaggerated spectacle. 

I'll judge it for myself, but DUNKIRK was noticeably smaller than the reality and it irked me instantly. There were far more men on the beach than it felt like in the film. The civilian rescue was much grander and epic than shown in the film. It was a historically rousing moment that felt so subdued on the film. It almost felt intentionally downplayed. 

I don't want that for the trinity test. Film the damn thing as it was. The people claimed they could see their bones through their skin 😂 it better feel otherworldly because it was.

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

TBH Nolan should just make the trinity test accurately, how it actually was. Wouldn't like exaggerated spectacle. 

I'll judge it for myself, but DUNKIRK was noticeably smaller than the reality and it irked me instantly. There were far more men on the beach than it felt like in the film. The civilian rescue was such grander and epic than shown in the film. It was a historically rousing moment that felt so subdued on the film. It almost felt intentionally downplayed. 

I don't want that for the trinity test. Film the damn thing as it was. 

Might have required a much larger budget for Dunkirk to go with that type of scale. At one point his wife said the budget was $80 million. That seems like chump change in a world where movies cost well over $200 million to depict that type of really large scale stuff. 

1 hour ago, DK000 said:

yup , the scene after the test was haunting. One of the best things Nolan has ever filmed and the transition to that with how tense the test scene was I feel works as a whole

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah the bomb sequence itself was good but nothing out of the ordinary for me (though I did hear some gasps in my cinema). It's the stuff after though that I think will leave people with a big impact and it's my favourite part of the movie.

Spoiler

care to elaborate on this scene afterwards?

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Might have required a much larger budget for Dunkirk to go with that type of scale. At one point his wife said the budget was $80 million. That seems like chump change in a world where movies cost well over $200 million to depict that type of really large scale stuff. 

WB would have given whatever budget he wanted. Dunkirk is much less famous so most didn't pick up on it, but imagine if they made a PEARL HARBOR movie and then only had 3-4 small boats in the harbor and like 10-15 plane shown during the attack. 😂 It was absurd. 

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WB would have given whatever budget he wanted. Dunkirk is much less famous so most didn't pick up on it, but imagine if they made a PEARL HARBOR movie and then only had 3-4 small boats in the harbor and like 10-15 plane shown during the attack. 😂 It was absurd. 

They would not have given him $200+ million for a movie about Dunkirk. Like you said, Dunkirk is not a well-known story. More restrained budget makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They would not have given him $200+ million for a movie about Dunkirk. Like you said, Dunkirk is not a well-known story. More restrained budget makes sense. 

Eh had the concept called for it, I think he would have been given it. It was a much far less commercial film than it could have been. 

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

IMAX Melbourne is largely sold out till the end of August for the 1570 film presentation. 

https://imaxmelbourne.com.au/session_times_and_tickets/?movie=476

How big is the Melbourne screen? I know Australia had the 2 biggest IMAX screens in the world at one point, but everything kind of went to hell when they did some shutdowns for renovations and whatnot. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

How big is the Melbourne screen? I know Australia had the 2 biggest IMAX screens in the world at one point, but everything kind of went to hell when they did some shutdowns for renovations and whatnot. 

It's about the same size as Metreon, Lincoln Square, and Pooler, GA.

The new one in Sydney should be ever so slightly bigger than those. But smaller than the old one.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

If all you went for is the Trinity scene, you went to the movie for the wrong reasons.

BTW, I think Nolan has made it clear he did not want a typical "eye candy" scene for the Trinity sequence.

I am not surprised. I knew some people would be dissapointed because there is not a lot of eye candy in the movie.

I didn’t go just for that, but I can’t lie when I say I was expecting something more