4. Oppenheimer

5.Batman Begins

6.The Prestige

7.DKR

8.Dunkirk

9.Interstellar

10.Insomnia

11. Tenet

Never seen Following and I would 9 of these movies a rating no lower than 8 and the bottom two at least 7. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t understand the Tenet hate, and I’d argue that Nolan never made a bad film. TDKR is a bad Batman film, but not a bad film itself. I was underwhelmed by Inception, but that’s still a solid 7/10. I wouldn’t rank any of them below 7 btw, with the top 5 being high 9s. 1/10 for Tenet is like lol to me. 

I would agree, Tenet is a 7/10 type of movie. Some folks hate it, but seems like a lot of people view it as a pretty decent movie based on the critic ratings and audience ratings out there. It’s at the bottom of the Nolan movies though, haha.

These are my grades at the moment…

1.  The Prestige  9.6/10

2.  Memento  9.5/10

3.  Inception  9.0/10

4.  Batman Begins  8.5/10

5.  The Dark Knight  8.4/10

6.  Oppenheimer  8.2/10

7.  Insomnia  8.0/10

8.  Interstellar  7.9/10

9.  Dunkirk  7.8/10

10.  TDK Rises  7.5/10

11.  Following 7.3/10

12.  Tenet  7.0/10

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I would agree, Tenet is a 7/10 type of movie. Some folks hate it, but seems like a lot of people view it as a pretty decent movie based on the critic ratings and audience ratings out there. It’s at the bottom of the Nolan movies though, haha.

These are my grades at the moment…

1.  The Prestige  9.6/10

2.  Memento  9.5/10

3.  Inception  9.0/10

4.  Batman Begins  8.5/10

5.  The Dark Knight  8.4/10

6.  Oppenheimer  8.2/10

7.  Insomnia  8.0/10

8.  Interstellar  7.9/10

9.  Dunkirk  7.8/10

10.  TDK Rises  7.5/10

11.  Following 7.3/10

12.  Tenet  7.0/10

Internet seems like it has been going on a hyperbole binge lately. Either it’s the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. And only siths deal in absolutes. And yeah I remember we are men of good taste and know that The Prestige is Nolan’s magnum opus.

• Like 1

The Dark Knight  10/10

Interstellar  10/10

Inception  10/10

Batman Begins  9/10

The Prestige  9/10

Memento  8/10

Dunkirk  8/10

TDK Rises  8/10

Tenet  8/10

Insomnia  7/10

Following 7/10

I need another watch to land OP, but it's top 3 candidate.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Tuesday afternoon I watched Oppenheimer for the 2nd time. The first 30-40 minutes flowed much better for me in this viewing. Overall it’s a damn good movie. Biggest complaint is the constant high pitch, loud music interfering with dialogue. Similar problem with all of his movies from 2014 (Interstellar) to now. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t understand the Tenet hate, and I’d argue that Nolan never made a bad film.

Tenet is a bad film in the sense that it is nearly impossible for a casual observer to follow what is going on. That simply is what it is. The audience need to understand what they're viewing is an inherent basic need of a moviegoer akin to a regular persons need to breath. 

TDKR is a bad Batman film, but not a bad film itself.

What? TDKR is the perfect story of Wayne discovering the will to live a normal life and escape the self delusional that fighting crime would make the pain of his parents death go away when in reality it just prolongs it. Wayne even sets it up so that Batman can continue. 

TDKR absolutely should have been divided into 2 films, with film 1 spending more time with Batman returning, better establishing Miranda, ending just after Batman loses the fight to Bane and is in the cave. The closing line of "When Gotham isn ashes, then you have my permission to die" would have been insane. Film 2 obviously chronicles Bane's takeover of Gotham, and could have expanded on Batman returning to Gotham etc.

Hence why it isn't a 10 like the truly perfect THE DARK KNIGHT. But TDKR is badass either way.  

I was underwhelmed by Inception, but that’s still a solid 7/10. I wouldn’t rank any of them below 7 btw, with the top 5 being high 9s. 1/10 for Tenet is like lol to me. 

Inception is badass AF. Inception 2 circa 2013 would have opened to $150m+.

Edited by excel1

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Inception is badass AF. Inception 2 circa 2013 would have opened to $150m+.

Inception embodies everything I love about a Nolan film. It's still my favourite movie just sitting right behind TDK.

• Like 1

1. Oppenheimer

2. Interstellar

3. The Dark Knight

^These are his only films I like quite a lot.  The rest of his filmography isn't bad(other than Tenet, TDKR, & Dunkirk imo) they just don't do much for me.  Even though I didn't find Oppenheimer perfect, I was very delighted with it.  You gotta respect a man who makes a 3 hour talky drama far more exciting and lasting than all these 300m+ VFX theme park rides like The Flash, Indiana Jones, or Avatar 2.

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

1. The Dark Knight

2. Oppenheimer

3. Dunkirk

4. Inception

5. The Dark Knight Rises

6. Batman Begins

7. Interstellar

8. The Prestige

9. Insomnia

10. Tenet

Haven’t seen memento or following 

wut, Memento is THE movie which started his fan club

Tenet is on the bottom of my list but I still enjoy it quite a bit. I just think it plays too much like a standard spy movie in the first half with uninteresting characters (except Neil) and the climax is too confusing visually. Once the Protagonist inverts it becomes so much fun.

Its amazing when you watch it again. Its intricate but I thought nolan unraveled the plot beautifully and i love the way it ended. JDW is the weak point. lacks charisma to pull the lead and Branaugh was not scary enough for the character. Rest of the cast was solid especially Battinson. Tenet needed someone charismatic like Chadwick(:-() or JDW's father. 

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Tenet is on the bottom of my list but I still enjoy it quite a bit. I just think it plays too much like a standard spy movie in the first half with uninteresting characters (except Neil) and the climax is too confusing visually. Once the Protagonist inverts it becomes so much fun.

I really fucking love The Protagonist. I had no idea that he is Denzel’s kid. If they ever go the aged up version of T’Challa, and I think it can be done and explained in a comic book sense, I think he should be a contender for it. I was legit impressed by him. More so than Neil. He played the role exuding such suaveness and coolness that I find it very charming. It truly felt like we got our own stealth Black James Bond film.

I think JDW works as The Protagonist. Can't imagine someone delivering "I ordered my hot sauce an hour ago" better than him. His acting meshed well with Nolan's approach on the movie and the character.

I think the comparisons to Blackhat on that movie are apt too as it felt very Mann-esque. I feel shades of Miami Vice when I watch it too.

One last thing: Oppenheimer and Tenet show what a fantastic duo Nolan and editor Jennifer Lame are.

• Like 1