MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

On 4/29/2023 at 8:09 AM, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Adjusted for inflation JFK made $510m on a $100m budget.

It was the sixth highest grossing film of the year. An incredible feat for a 3 hour R-rated movie.

It was hugely successful.

JFK was a box office sucess. Does not make me happy to say that since it is one of the few films I actively hate because so much of it is one big lie while claimng to be the truth.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, has anyone seen the new trailer? It's playing with Guardians, right? it's Very Nolan not to release it online just yet

Apparently some people have seen it, screenshots are out there, just waiting for that cam rip. Hopefully no later than this evening we get it.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Leaked.

Looks like a good, typically Nolan well-made film. But it also looks so small in scale. It is clearly a serious drama more than summer blockbuster tentpole. 

Spoiler

90% of the trailer are random shots of Murphy monologging with Matt Damon, Josh Hartnett, Emily Blunt, Kenneth Branagh, and the guy who plays Einstein. The entire scale looks so small, like a random October release from 2005. 1 brief shot of RDJ. 

Edited by excel1

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

Apparently some people have seen it, screenshots are out there, just waiting for that cam rip. Hopefully no later than this evening we get it.

I always forget, was it the Dunkirk teaser you made me film for you?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Leaked.

Looks like a good, typically Nolan well-made film. But it also looks so small in scale. It is clearly a serious drama more than summer blockbuster tentpole. 

Hide contents

90% of the trailer are random shots of Murphy monologging with Matt Damon, Josh Hartnett, Emily Blunt, Kenneth Branagh, and the guy who plays Einstein. The entire scale looks so small, like a random October release from 2005. 1 brief shot of RDJ. 

The first trailer did not look small in scope. So I predict you're full of it. 

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

The first trailer did not look small in scope. So I predict you're full of it. 

Nope.

Spoiler

Trailer opens with Murphy in B&W walking through the reporters. Cuts to him telling a group he knows what it would mean if Nazis get big bomb. Cuts to Matt Damon whining that the nazis have a 12 month head start. Murphy responds that it's actually 18. Murphy leads Josh Hartnett through a hallway saying all of the countries industrial might and brain power are in this building and they have to stay here until they deliver. Murphy talks of building a town for scientists to bring their families. Emily Blunt pops in here.  Damon has a hilariously cheesy line that they're working on the most important thing to ever happen. Military dude says "we could bring our boys home and end world war 2". Damon says "so when we push the button, the world could explode?" or something to that effect, Murphy says "the odds are near zero". Damon looks mad, Murphy says "that's as good as it gets with theory" and Damon says "Zero. I want to hear zero". Few random shots of Murphy and co. around the bomb tower, shots of Murphy in what looks to be a crowd gymnasium, think there was a shot of Murphy spending off in a jeep. Tense build up music and some slower dramatic scenes at the very end, where we finally see a glimpse of RDJ. Ken Branagh solemnly says "You have given them the power to destroy themselves. they're not ready".  I kept waiting for hints that we would see bits from Pearl Harbor or some critical American battle to liven things up, but no. This is simply not a big budget, hugely scale epic film based on what's shown, it looks much more akin The Prestige or Insomnia.

Edited by excel1

The film was always going to lean more drama….why would we expect otherwise?

At no point did I expect some battle to be shown off to the side. It has been sold as and directly stated as a thriller by Universal this whole time

Edited by MrPink

As secretive as Nolan is, we would have gotten an inkling if there were some massive battle scenes simply because we know he wouldn't be doing them all-digital, and the scale of something like that would be noticeable. So yeah, not sure why anyone would expect that. Darkest Hour with a touch of Bridge of Spies is what I imagined. But I do agree it doesn't scream must-see big screen summer blockbuster to me.