Eric Loves Rey

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

Not sure if this has been answered already or not, but if voters were to reject the deal, what happens then? Does a strike commence immediately, or is it back to another round of negotiations with the looming threat of a strike like it was before Monday?

Edited by cookie

27 minutes ago, cookie said:

Not sure if this has been answered already or not, but if voters were to reject the deal, what happens then? Does a strike commence immediately, or is it back to another round of negotiations with the looming threat of a strike like it was before Monday?

I don’t know. It’s possible nobody knows right now. 

15 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The voting likely won’t be for at least a week or two, and that’s probably incredibly early. Last time it took two months from announced deal to ratification, I think. 

So this ensures all movies for 2021 will be on schedule even if deal is rejected and there is a strike. May be even 1st few months of 2022 if studios scramble to get the post done. 

On 10/19/2021 at 11:21 AM, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, I wouldn’t say anything is ensured at this point. In theory, but who knows? 

i am betting studios are putting are their rexources into finishing their high priority  (ie, those with the most cox office potential ) films, with the other ones last in line. GUaranteed, at Sony I suspect a lot of people have been pulled from other films to see that Spidey;No Way Home is done as quickly as possible.

In the middle of my local meeting & discussion re: the potential agreement. I was already not in the greatest mood this morning; I’m feeling bleaker about my industry than I was before — not really in terms of whether it’ll be ratified or not, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that the corporations will do everything they can to treat us as widgets to be replaced as needed and a lot of movie fans are happy to see us crews slowly crushed into oblivion if it means they get to watch stuff for free. 😕

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

That Alec Baldwin incident is also a product of workers being treated poorly and some of them walked off just before the incident and the studio cutting corners in using non union members. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of “Rust” with a prop gun, a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and waiting for their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set on Saturday said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges.

Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks — two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” a crew member said. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That Alec Baldwin incident is also a product of workers being treated poorly and some of them walked off just before the incident and the studio cutting corners in using non union members. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

It’s both awful and beyond the scope of these negotiations. It’s not illegal to hire non-union people or be a non-union production. In this specific instance, there were already many, many protections in place — that were either abused or ignored. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If this deal isn't ratified, I can really see another deal being made before a strike...

When they announced there would be a strike, things changed fast and made a deal within a couple days

The studios are coming back from a dire state and I think they are desperate to keep things going...

Edited by motionpic05

3 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

If this deal isn't ratified, I can really see another deal being made before a strike...

When they announced there would be a strike, things changed fast and made a deal within a couple days

The studios are coming back from a dire state and I think they are desperate to keep things going...

If the deal is rejected, a strike is not automatic. Realistically, nobody knows what will happen. There are a bunch of variables and nothing is certain or even likely. A strike *could* happen, a lot would depend on how willing the studios are to return to the bargaining table and if so, what their offer(s) would be. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

In the middle of my local meeting & discussion re: the potential agreement. I was already not in the greatest mood this morning; I’m feeling bleaker about my industry than I was before — not really in terms of whether it’ll be ratified or not, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that the corporations will do everything they can to treat us as widgets to be replaced as needed and a lot of movie fans are happy to see us crews slowly crushed into oblivion if it means they get to watch stuff for free. 😕

I don't mean this to be insensitive, but welcome to nearly every other job in the Western Hemisphere.  This is the norm and not sure the IATSE realizes how much better they have it over the rest of the workers in this country.  Most every other job has zero protections and you perform at will.  

That is more of a sad reality of the system, not a shot on anyone.  

Edited by EmpireCity

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't mean this to be insensitive, but welcome to nearly every other job in the Western Hemisphere. 

That is so far away to virtually every job experience I had has a sentiment (always felt that employee retention was a big deal for them from cleaning dishes in restaurant to adult workplace) that you sound alien to me.

I would imagine cinema is in good part particular, because of the rare situation of large quantity of people wanting and able to do it versus the demand.

With the giant open jobs market and choice employee have right now (over 10 millions in the USA mid October 2021), I doubt that almost every corporation are confident they could replace their people at a good price.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That is so far away to virtually every job experience I had has a sentiment (always felt that employee retention was a big deal for them from cleaning dishes in restaurant to adult workplace) that you sound alien to me.

I would imagine cinema is in good part particular, because of the rare situation of large quantity of people wanting and able to do it versus the demand.

With the giant open jobs market and choice employee have right now (over 10 millions in the USA mid October 2021), I doubt that almost every corporation are confident they could replace their people at a good price.

It's an employers market right now. They can be picky with who they hire because so many are out of work. I've been passed over by several entry level roles because I only have college-level experience and not full time experience. Employers can complain that nobody wants to work behind a facade when in reality they don't want flight risks and choose not to hire qualified/serviceable candidates.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

The text around this are quite strange, for example:

On Thursday, Alec Baldwin fired what he was told was a safe "prop gun" on the set of the film "Rust." Instead, the gun was apparently loaded with live ammunition

. The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds

By live ammunition and live round, they mean blanks right ? If so it is a strange way to tell the story to people that known nothing like us. If they mean actual bullet, how would actual bullet end up in a gun on a set ?

That seem to be the case:

A source close to the union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

Live in movie talk is such different than in rest of the world talk that it is just ridiculous and irresponsible for journalist to repeat it like that. They make it sound to some people has if Baldwin shot an actual bullet on a film set, which make it sound like the only explanation would be criminal sabotage by the crew. I imagine it is a bit like the Crow, previously material stuck in the canon, use of a blank in the future that project it.

I am not sure how relevant it is how camera crew non-union people got involved in production here, there is no talk that the armorer side was handled by non union, the super super thigh 21 days production schedule, not even investigation and special measure taken after literal gun accident during the shoot is probably the reason.