Eric Loves Rey

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

25 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

How often do actors hold up production times and cause budgets to increase? Do they have penalties for this?

It can happen but at the end of the day actors are just another piece of the overall equation, same as writers, directors, producers, or any other above-the-line people. The issues come from the very top (the corporate production entities), not the people they employ — although said people can and sometimes do make things worse, whether unintentionally or otherwise. 

edit: I think for people not in the industry, sometimes hearing about this stuff doesn’t sound too bad, because who among us hasn’t pulled an all-nighter or skipped a meal or had to eat while you worked? And as a one-off, it’s a hassle but not too bad. The problem is when that’s almost non-stop and the only time when it’s not like that is when you’re out of work and trying to line up a new gig. It’s not a sustainable way to live. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It can happen but at the end of the day actors are just another piece of the overall equation, same as writers, directors, producers, or any other above-the-line people. The issues come from the very top (the corporate production entities), not the people they employ — although said people can and sometimes do make things worse, whether unintentionally or otherwise. 

edit: I think for people not in the industry, sometimes hearing about this stuff doesn’t sound too bad, because who among us hasn’t pulled an all-nighter or skipped a meal or had to eat while you worked? And as a one-off, it’s a hassle but not too bad. The problem is when that’s almost non-stop and the only time when it’s not like that is when you’re out of work and trying to line up a new gig. It’s not a sustainable way to live. 

Especially if you have kids or dependents...and especially if you are the prime and/or only caregiver for those kids or dependents...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Especially if you have kids or dependents...and especially if you are the prime and/or only caregiver for those kids or dependents...

Yep, as it stands now the industry (for the most part) leans heavily on the backs and bodies of 20-somethings who don’t have much of a life beyond work. “Paying your dues” and all that. 

And I do have to say I’ve been very lucky, both in terms of who I’ve worked with and the various union productions I’ve been on: it has been rare that I’ve had to deal with this shit. Some of it is being in Post and some of it is that my union work (to date) is multicamera sitcoms, which tend to be very decent when it comes to work conditions — though in part that also comes down to me working with nice executive producers. 

(There are stories about how you want to work for a show runner who has a family they love, because then they’re always interested in wrapping things promptly so they can go home. Unfortunately there are many show runners with either terrible home lives or no family at all, and then watch out! cuz they tend to practically live at the office.)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

So it's not going to get ratified?

Truly, nobody knows at this point. If the vote happened today, I doubt it would. Weeks from now, with more details and explanations…. who knows? There’s a rage and frustration here that I don’t think was fully apparent to everyone at the top. 

edit: if the American crews are members of the affected IATSE locals, any strike would likely shut down those productions unless the companies were able to find scabs to replace them. At this point a strike won’t happen until the ratification vote happens, which is weeks away. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Truly, nobody knows at this point. If the vote happened today, I doubt it would. Weeks from now, with more details and explanations…. who knows? There’s a rage and frustration here that I don’t think was fully apparent to everyone at the top. 

Ok can you explain in layman's terms what is wrong with the deal that was reached. I'm late to the party and I want to fully understand what is going on

17 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

There’s a rage and frustration here that I don’t think was fully apparent to everyone at the top. 

Maybe it's a case of being "too inside the loop" to truly be able to feel things, but when I saw 98% yes and 90% turnout strike authorization vote, my eyebrows nearly shot out of my head, as one doesn't see that level of unanimity anywhere outside of fake elections for tinpot dictators.

(or maybe it's just a case of me seeing a few labor fights in differing fields in my day and just having more experience seeing differing levels of worker frustration [and what tends to happen afterwards])

I'd been holding my peace until you broached the subject a couple of days ago (just before the talks reached a crescendo), but I have to admit I've been worried about a "not good enough deal" ever since I saw those numbers.

IMO it is practically impossible to get THAT level of unanimity unless one has really fucked up somewhere along the line.  Multiple times.  So I'm not at all surprised that a deal that insiders (both at the management level and the union level) felt would fly might not be greeted to warmly when it got to the rank and file.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Ok can you explain in layman's terms what is wrong with the deal that was reached. I'm late to the party and I want to fully understand what is going on

I don’t know the details yet so I can’t comment on them. Nor am I really in a place to talk specifics other than my own, with Local 700 (the editor’s guild). Very very broadly speaking, folks are worried that there aren’t enough provisions in place to stop the existing abuses of the system, and that “new media productions” are still getting a flier for cheaper labor without helping to cover long-term benefits like health care & pensions. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I don’t know the details yet so I can’t comment on them. Nor am I really in a place to talk specifics other than my own, with Local 700 (the editor’s guild). Very very broadly speaking, folks are worried that there aren’t enough provisions in place to stop the existing abuses of the system, and that “new media productions” are still getting a flier for cheaper labor without helping to cover long-term benefits like health care & pensions. 

Thanks this helps a lot

• Like 1

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

From this piece:

When the last contract was voted on in 2018, the delegate count came to 312 votes in favor, 73 votes against (Local 700, led by Catherine Repola, who was the only leader not to recommend ratification, was responsible for all 73 of the “no” votes).

Fuck yeah, Cathy Repola. ✊🏻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I normally don't trust the folks over there. A bit too "Bernie Bro" for my tastes. But this is one of their better pieces.

Edited by JWR

I found this in reddit. very informative.

Spoiler

After sitting through two union meetings and becoming steward on my show and talking to the diverse members both in our local 479 as well as members in 600 and 695 I feel like I have a very strong grasp on what has been achieved in these negotiations and what hasn’t.

The up side is that we gave up almost nothing.

Here are the problems with what was agreed upon.

Living wage achieved

-This is debatable but they did achieve a substantial raise for some of the lower paid positions.

• Improved wages and working conditions for streaming Great this is a win.

• Retroactive scale wage Increases of 3% annually This affects very few of the shooting crew and is the same we have received for multiple negotiations. It’s time to make it 10% to account for years of losses and then tied to inflation forever.

• Employer Funded Benefits for the term This will be up for negotiation every 3 years so at least we achieved sustainability.

• Increased meal period penalties including prevailing rate. The increase is only to the 5th meal penalty meaning they can work 2 hours past lunch for exactly the same cost as before. This means it will only meaningfully impact those shows that constantly shoot without lunches such as marvel etc.

• Daily Rest Periods of 10 hours without exclusions When will this kick over to 798 and the teamsters and have a meaningful change those unions are not on strike or in negotiations with us for this current contract in most places. Until they get their 10 hours of turn around this new turnaround does literally nothing for us.

• Weekend Rest Periods of 54 and 32 hours This incentivizes 6th days. 6 days of 12 hours costs the same as 5 days of 14s.

• Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday Holiday Cool.

• Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiatives This isn’t a talking point and should have been built in and non negotiable for many many years now.

Unless the ASA negotiations that begin this coming week address 14 hour days on TV 8th day resets I urge all of you to vote NO on ratification.

I heard from a union brother that worked 93 days straight. He should have stayed in 7th day pay for 86 of those days but because of our current contract at the end of every week he reverts to straight time. This is unconscionable!!!

Please urge your business reps to fight to make double time after 12 universal on every contract and eliminate the 8th day reset.

Remember we get to vote on ratification of these agreements. I urge you to read them carefully when they are mailed out vote yes only if you feel they have met our needs.

I know it’s hard to maintain your strike ready poise after being called off.

If we don’t get what we want and we vote NO on ratification then we strike until they give us what we need.

One key point

" Increased meal period penalties including prevailing rate. The increase is only to the 5th meal penalty meaning they can work 2 hours past lunch for exactly the same cost as before. This means it will only meaningfully impact those shows that constantly shoot without lunches such as marvel etc."

:gold:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I found this in reddit. very informative.

Reveal hidden contents

One key point

" Increased meal period penalties including prevailing rate. The increase is only to the 5th meal penalty meaning they can work 2 hours past lunch for exactly the same cost as before. This means it will only meaningfully impact those shows that constantly shoot without lunches such as marvel etc."

:gold:

The unions have now resorted to unwarranted and undeserved attacks against the character of Multiplex King Kevin Feigie.

Maybe Jeff Bezos was right.