Eric Loves Rey

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

“We will have a membership meeting as soon as possible at which time I will provide detailed information about the final deal.

As soon as it is available, we will send the full Memorandum of Agreement so you can make an informed decision about the tentative contract. There will be ample time for you to get all of your questions answered prior to having to vote on the ratification.

In the meantime, I ask you to continue to be patient and wait for the facts.”

• Like 8

So deal is reached? How much did some of thing improved from previous? Can someone brief me.

Edit: Found these.

• Achievement of a living wage for the lowest-paid earners
  • Improved wages and working conditions for streaming
  • Retroactive wage Increases of 3 percent annually
  • Increased meal period penalties
  • Daily rest periods of 10 hours without exclusions
  • Weekend rest periods of 54 hours
  • Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday Holiday added to schedule
  • Adoption of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives 

Sounds good enough to me as an outsider. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So deal is reached? How much did some of thing improved from previous? Can someone brief me.

Bolded, underlined part is where there’s a lot of confusion and some anger and dismay. Pending more details, of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Let me know up front if this is a you are done with me or as a mod you are now threatening to give me points or whatever it is.  I have stayed on topic in this thread and discussed the issue.  I'm not trolling anyone.  Just because you don't like my opinion on it doesn't mean I should start getting mod threats to silence me.  

If I wanted to give you warning points, I would’ve done that. I was simply stating that for the sake of the discussion, your posts had gotten slightly redundant. And maybe it was time to Move on. It’s not always necessary to respond back to every single person, every single time. That’s all I’m saying.

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The overwhelming buzz I'm reading from friends and colleagues is that they're not really happy with any of the proposals.  The "increased meal period penalties" doesn't really solve that issue -- productions of a certain stature will usually have enough to just keep paying for penalties, making that essentially a moot point, rather than actually giving-people-time-to-eat

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The overwhelming buzz I'm reading from friends and colleagues is that they're not really happy with any of the proposals.  The "increased meal period penalties" doesn't really solve that issue -- productions of a certain stature will usually have enough to just keep paying for penalties, making that essentially a moot point, rather than actually giving-people-time-to-eat

I mean, I get some of this, but some of this is just insane.  

These productions cost millions and millions of dollars and they are already under a tremendous time crunch to even bring in the production on any sort of a budget and avoid delays due to weather, location availability, talent schedules, etc....

Having all of these crazy rules and hard stops and penalties makes it a nightmare.  

https://www.wrapbook.com/blog/meal-penalties-producers-guide

• Community Manager
9 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I mean, I get some of this, but some of this is just insane.  

These productions cost millions and millions of dollars and they are already under a tremendous time crunch to even bring in the production on any sort of a budget and avoid delays due to weather, location availability, talent schedules, etc....

Having all of these crazy rules and hard stops and penalties makes it a nightmare.  

https://www.wrapbook.com/blog/meal-penalties-producers-guide

Should be noted the crazy rule here is "let people eat food". 

I directed/produced a short film a couple months ago. Even though we had exactly one day to shoot (due to many reasons) a 7-page script, we still broke for lunch. We got almost every shot we wanted to get.

I did this despite being a super low budget shoot. If I can give people a lunch break as a super small production company then I think large companies can factor in guaranteed food breaks. 

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

IF the only way productions can stay in schedule/cost is to avoid meal breaks and work for 14-16 hours a day, the model is fundamentally broken. They have to cut cost elsewhere. May be dont blow up so much on CGI or exhorbitant cast/director pay. 

It is absolutely not the only way they can stay on schedule and budget. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Should be noted the crazy rule here is "let people eat food". 

I directed/produced a short film a couple months ago. Even though we had exactly one day to shoot (due to many reasons) a 7-page script, we still broke for lunch. We got almost every shot we wanted to get.

I did this despite being a super low budget shoot. If I can give people a lunch break as a super small production company then I think large companies can factor in guaranteed food breaks. 

Crew size and production type I feel are different here, possible that on mega production waiting will be a large part of the day, making easy to eat has you want without a dedicated lunch break. And the impact of stopping-restarting being different has thing scale (a bit the same for boat or manufacturing).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Crew size and production type I feel are different here, possible that on mega production waiting will be a large part of the day, making easy to eat has you want without a dedicated lunch break. And the impact of stopping-restarting being different has thing scale (a bit the same for boat or manufacturing).

It’s not that different, tbh. There’s also a difference between craft service (where you can grab a snack and a quick drink, maybe, if you find a moment free) and a formal meal break, where you get a full, hot meal and get to go sit down for half an hour. 

• Like 3

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Oh trust me there was still some waiting time for members of my crew lol. The thing about waiting while on a crew is that you also need to be ready to get back to it at any moment. So you can't just go and eat lunch since if they need you then you slow the production down. 

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The thing about waiting while on a crew is that you also need to be ready to get back to it at any moment. So you can't just go and eat lunch since if they need you then you slow the production down. 

I am sure you cannot eat a steak or anything complex, but the notion of crabbing stuff has you go is not a crazy employer demand for that type of jobs, where the benefit of having people always ready and near is vast but also the nature of the job will have many natural break occurring at the same time (a bit like a long security guard shift).

You read stuff like that:

https://deadline.com/2018/02/hollywood-safety-drowsy-driving-long-work-hours-crew-1202275319/

And regardless of the work condition during the work, just the actual length of it by itself seem to be an large issue, going back to longer shoot (from pre production to actual shoot), could do some good for everyone involved, relying less on timing, better quality, better working condition, etc...

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am sure you cannot eat a steak or anything complex, but the notion of crabbing stuff has you go is not a crazy employer demand for that type of jobs, where the benefit of having people always ready and near is vast but also the nature of the job will have many natural break occurring at the same time (a bit like a long security guard shift).

You read stuff like that:

https://deadline.com/2018/02/hollywood-safety-drowsy-driving-long-work-hours-crew-1202275319/

And regardless of the work condition during the work, just the actual length of it by itself seem to be an large issue, going back to longer shoot (from pre production to actual shoot), could do some good for everyone involved, relying less on timing, better quality, better working condition, etc...

Snacks aren't a real substitute for an actual meal especially when you are working on set. ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Snacks aren't a real substitute for an actual meal especially when you are working on set. ;)

When craft service look like this:

DeliSandwiches.jpg

StirFry.jpg

And when work during shooting set is less than half the days in a year, it can.

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

When craft service look like this:

DeliSandwiches.jpg

StirFry.jpg

And when work during shooting set is less than half the days in a year, it can.

Granted I don't have as much experience as @Plain Old Tele but when I have worked on large sets the snack craft table had snacks like chips, donuts, sodas, water, donuts, etc. They didn't have portable salads and sandwiches like you pictured.

Portable salads and sandwiches require some refrigeration to stay fresh. Usually the coolers with ice were reserved for drinks not food. 

The place that would have those things would actually be a bit off set dedicated to eating meals. 

• Like 1