The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

I will say, when you flop on the level that Last Duel did, CLEARLY this was going to be a deeper flop beyond just COVID circumstances. It was a very tough market and a long, dark movie. Even if you trip this weekend without COVID, it only did 15m. Not great, clearly some fundamental issues there. House of Gucci and West Side Story are the adult movies that need to make movies this year. King Richard would be there if it wasn't for MAX release. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean it wasn't so long ago that we had 1917, Ford v Ferrari, Little Women, Uncut Gems, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Hustlers etc. all break out in the same year. I can't really believe that the viewing audience has shifted all that much since then

Your lips to God's ears. 2019 was a watershed comeback for adult cinema. But COVID may have altered the marketplace and viewing habits moreso than it is keeping people home due to health concerns.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

It leaked early. Good quality versions on English sites too

just checked, and it’s a web rip so it’s been released somewhere in the world digitally  already - the real thing.  
Lol WB - what are you even doing? 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Your lips to God's ears. 2019 was a watershed comeback for adult cinema. But COVID may have altered the marketplace and viewing habits moreso than it is keeping people home due to health concerns.

perhaps it did. But maybe King Richard, Belfast, and Nightmare Alley or something are all about to make some bank. 

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Horrid for NTTD. Will be the lowest attended Bond film since Licence to Kill

Bruh, the movie is gonna make like $700M+. It's pretty much agreed that Domestically, it's a bit of an underperformance. But internationally, it is killing it

What is this act?

Let's also not forget that we're still in a pandemic. That's effecting its numbers by at least 10% I'd say

Edited by Pinacolada

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I said this in Bond's weekend but let's wait a couple of years before assessing whether anything has permanently changed. I definitely think younger people were always going to be much quicker to come back regularly. 

Also, I think a lot of the mid-budget fare this year just hasn't looked that appealing compared to what we got in 2019. Just speaking for myself there haven't been any of those trailers that hooked me like Ford v Ferrari or 1917. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is what I fear and what I believe it has happened. COVID altered people's habits. Many will never come back to theaters. Others that were going regularly maybe will start going only to certain movies. This is the real issue. 

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Indie movies, the A24 types and the arthouse, will continue to thrive. It's movies like the Last Duel and other mid-sized adult films that won't. That is where I am worried. Would a movie like the Departed or No Country for Old Men or Michael Clayton or Munich get greenlit today? Hell, would even 1917 or Ford v Ferrari? Those are the movies we will lose. The indie movies will be fine, IMO. 

Indie movies are harder to get financed than ever. 

This is awful news for Dune. We are still 4-5 days away from the next batch of markets which includes some big ones like China, UK and USA. Fucking WB continues to screw up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean it wasn't so long ago that we had 1917, Ford v Ferrari, Little Women, Uncut Gems, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Hustlers etc. all break out in the same year. I can't really believe that the viewing audience has shifted all that much since then

Historic pandemic + paradigm shift due to streaming exploding + domination/ramp-up of arguably the most successful movie formula in Hollywood history = a hell of a 1-2-3 punch.

(social media reinforcing and amplifying all of the above factors isn't something to be slept on either)

Is it inevitable to stay this way?  Well, honestly, no.  Nothing is eternal.  Just don't ask me how long this current phase of in-theater preference will last.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

The Last Duel would be a big hit if it was a streaming miniseries instead. Everyone would be talking about it, with the cast and director it has. There's no place for adult drama in movie theaters anymore. Films that don't provide a visual spectacle or a fun experience for families or group of friends are done.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I will say, when you flop on the level that Last Duel did, CLEARLY this was going to be a deeper flop beyond just COVID circumstances. It was a very tough market and a long, dark movie. Even if you trip this weekend without COVID, it only did 15m. Not great, clearly some fundamental issues there. House of Gucci and West Side Story are the adult movies that need to make movies this year. King Richard would be there if it wasn't for MAX release. 

I think the movie was rejected, cause under 5M is flat out rejection, because it isn't a kind of movie people have a habit to watch. Rape movies are not people's habit. You can habitually watch horror in the month leading to Halloween, or a sequel to your favorite movie series, or a family movie with the family, but this is not a habit type nor is something that creates a new habit. So it didn't bomb because reviews were bad (they are very good) or because WOM is bad (audience scores on IMDB, Meta and RT from the handful that saw it is fine), but because people are not interested. Perhaps, as many suggested, streaming would have been a better platform for this, and that's where similarly topical show like Unbelievable did well, but this was not a cinema affair cause it targeted no one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Historic pandemic + paradigm shift due to streaming exploding + domination/ramp-up of arguably the most successful movie formula in Hollywood history = a hell of a 1-2-3 punch.

(social media reinforcing and amplifying all of the above actors isn't something to be slept on either)

Is it inevitable to stay this way?  Well, honestly, no. 

Sure, when Disney buys a chain and only shows their movies, and the other studios switch entirely to streaming then our collective 120 year experiment is over. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

This seems more like wishful thinking than an acknowledgement of reality. A majority of movies exist in the first place because the people who financed it expect a positive return on average, not because they want to say something beautiful about the human condition or whatever

This kind of passive thinking is exactly why movies are the way they are today.

But hey, since the masses like it, what are we gonna do.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

perhaps it did. But maybe King Richard, Belfast, and Nightmare Alley or something are all about to make some bank. 

And even if they don’t I think there’s a lot of adult fare in 2022 that can bode very well.

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Sure, when Disney buys a chain and only shows their movies, and the other studios switch entirely to streaming then our collective 120 year experiment is over. 

Pretty sure that's just an extreme rephrasing of "nothing is eternal".

Do think that particular doomsday scenario isn't on the near term horizon though.