Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yes lol. It ends with a note about how nuclear war is inevitable.

Again, that's a bleak theme, but that doesn't make the film bleak.

Killers of the Flower Moon? Now that's what I call a bleak film. It's a long slow-burn of Native American death and evil people getting away with evil things. And just when you think they'll get their comeuppance, it's revealed they don't.

36 minutes ago, solaris said:

Obviously we are VERY early in the awards calendar for 2024, but it's a pretty desolate year in terms of contenders. This will absolutely dominate technical/artistic categories and should be a pretty strong contender for nominations in Picture/Director. Villeneuve is already starting to build an 'overdue' narrative. I wonder if either Walken or Butler could sneak into Supporting Actor too - Butler seems to be getting singled out a lot in the reviews.

This does seem like it'll be a big hitter, but I don't think you can rule out three other sequels to previous best picture nominees, not to mention Megalopolis 

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Again, that's a bleak theme, but that doesn't make the film bleak.

Killers of the Flower Moon? Now that's what I call a bleak film. It's a long slow-burn of Native American death and evil people getting away with evil things. And just when you think they'll get their comeuppance, it's revealed they don't.

I don't know how you decide whether a film is bleak or not, if it's about bad guys getting comeuppance, then Dune part II may not be bleak for you at all.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This does seem like it'll be a big hitter, but I don't think you can rule out three other sequels to previous best picture nominees, not to mention Megalopolis 

I don’t buy that Joker 2 or Furiosa are getting nominated for Best Picture. Certainly not over this. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Was it, though? The last hour is about how Lewis Strauss gets his comeuppance. The subject matter is bleak, yeah, but the film is far from.

The film is hella bleak. Its pacing and direction is like an action movie but the film is dark and bleak. It’s all the better for it

I think Joker 2 and the PTA film will be WB's big pushes for the year. Unless this actually becomes a cultural phenomenon (the 600-700 mil grosses thrown around here won't do),  don't see this getting much attention outside of techs and a populist PGA nom.

Edited by lorddemaxus

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think this will be WB’s Fury Road. They’re going to put all their chips into this movie. Even if Furiosa and Joker are good, they’re going to push Dune more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t buy that Joker 2 or Furiosa are getting nominated for Best Picture. Certainly not over this. 

I don't understand why we're even discussing Best Picture or Oscar chances whatsoever when many Best Picture nominees don't pop up until October or later. Poor Things didn't come out until December, and didn't even debut until September. Does Dune Part 2 have a chance? Totally, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't understand why we're even discussing Best Picture or Oscar chances whatsoever when many Best Picture nominees don't pop up until October or later. Poor Things didn't come out until December, and didn't even debut until September. Does Dune Part 2 have a chance? Totally, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

because month of reelase doesn't matter if your movie sustains the buzz. Early release didn't hurt EEAAO also released in March. 

And we aren't discussing nomination here cause that seems pretty locked with reviews like these and first movie's pedigree. We are discussing potential win. I'd say SAG ensemble nom is a must (ROTK got it and won it, ditto Parasite) if it doesn't get individual acting nomination(s). Out of these supporting categories are easier to get in.

Edited by Valonqar

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think Joker 2 and the PTA film will be WB's big pushes for the year. Unless this actually becomes a cultural phenomenon (the 600-700 mil grosses thrown around here won't do),  don't see this getting much attention outside of techs and a populist PGA nom.

February release date also doesn't help.