Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

If it weren't for the reviews, Eternals would have crossed $100m easily. The underwhelming reviews spread like wildfire with so many publications worldwide using clickbait-y headlines that it was the worst reviewed MCU film.

Shame, but in this day and age, I understand why studios would not want to release films a week  or two early. If the gamble does not pay off, it shows up in the numbers.

exactly this. If you make an ambitious, polarising film in a franchise that usually sticks to formula - well you’re just asking for trouble. The clickbait culture will destroy it even before people get to see the movie. 

The mcu has never had a film before where they had the rights to easily make a sequel but it wasn’t an outright financial success, so to some extent both “sides” are talking out of their ass a bit. But if you try to analyze an mcu entry as though it was a standalone first movie… well, I think you’ll end up baking in some assumptions that are way off base.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Even with 70m opening, there is still some chance for Eternals to at least topping BW, especially with Thanksgiving weekend and weaker competition in this Nov. I hope for 200m actually, we can't just live with 3 movies coming above 200m. 

SC is so close to 3x multiplier where it needs 226.2m to do the trick, a bit surprised that Disney isn't doing double feature this week.

It's at least going to be around until Spider-Man (+ the avalanche of movies opening the week after) comes out given how few wide releases there are coming out until then. We'll just have to see what the drop next weekend looks like first.

Edited by filmlover

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

solo was a flop eternals isnt a flop.....big difference and unlike solo, while dom speaking it did dissapoint its os number are very very good.

We’ll see what happens with legs, it’s too early to tell. I did notice it has no markets left to open in, aside from Latvia. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

We’ll see what happens with legs, it’s too early to tell. I did notice it has no markets left to open in, aside from Latvia. 

no it still has russia, phillipines and other countries in east asia i think like indonesia.

Edited by john2000

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

no it still has russia, phillipines and other countries in east asia i think like indonesia.

Ah I thought Philippines opened on the 3rd.

Anyway, yeh I wouldn’t put all its eggs in the overseas basket. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

This could have legged to 160m maybe if they weren’t putting it on Vod next week. 

I noticed its out on disc here in the UK in December too, can only imagine how many millions it’ll make on disc and digital here. Probably more than most other theatrical runs this year. 

Spencer's numbers are acceptable enough all things considered, Jackie didn't even make $15M total in a non-pandemic environment and this looked similarly clinical. 

Halloween dropping nearly 3/4 is expected since its namesake holiday is now in the past.

Edited by filmlover