Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

The winner on Saturday...https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-box-office-1234868870/

"What of Netflix’s Red Notice? While rival distributors can’t see ticket sales for the film in ComScore, the other ways and other means of figuring out what this Dwayne Johnson-Gal Gadot-Ryan Reynolds $200M action film made at 750 locations. We’re hearing the movie had a great Saturday night (for a Netflix movie) and is approaching $1.25M in monitored theaters. Other sources have floated a $1.5M three-day to me, which is possible, but the lower number is more reasonable."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Way better hold for Dune than I expected. I genuinely thought we'd see another 60+% drop with the loss of PLFs. Wonder if softer than expected Eternals helped cushion its fall.

GvK $7.8M/$80.6M after third weekend.

Just now, john2000 said:

um that applies to every movie you know.....

It's actually not that set in stone as the DOM market is. Depends a lot on distributors, holidays etc. My point was, the drop next week will likely seem bigger than it is, given this 90m weekend is quite inflated, Overall this might crawl past 400m, but I don't see it higher than that. We seem at odds concerning this movie and it is not my intention to cause trouble here, so let's just agree to disagree and let the numbers talk for themselves over the next couple of weeks. :)

Thought Experiment

So Eternals booked a $71 million OW. What do you estimate it would have made if it's critics/WOM reception was on par with Black Panther or Shang Chi and not where it is? 

My 
estimate is about 30-33% higher.

• Like 1

Eternals:

Nov 5: 71M (19.6M weekdays, 90.6M Total)

Nov 11: 30.2M (9.3M weekdays, 130.1M Total)

Nov 18: 10.8M (6.1M weekdays, 147M Total)

Nov 25: 4.7M (1.7M weekdays, 153.4M Total)

Dec 3: 3.3M (1.2M weekdays, 157.9M Total)

Dec 10: 2.1M (800k weekdays, 160.8M Total)

Dec 17: 1M (300k weekdays, 162.1M Total)

Dec 24: 400k (200k weekdays, 162.7M Total)

Final Total: 165M (2.32x)

The dead stretch between Thanksgiving and NWH will help legs a tiny bit, but the drops over the next 2-3 weeks will balance out any notion of good holds.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Thought Experiment

So Eternals booked a $71 million OW. What do you estimate it would have made if it's critics/WOM reception was on par with Black Panther or Shang Chi and not where it is? 

My 
estimate is about 30-33% higher.

$93 million, on its way to $260 overall. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

This is crazy. Unless BOM stopped updating SC OS numbers, Eternals matched SC's lifetime gross in Korea in 3 days or so. Perhaps the presence of a Korean actor gave Eternals a leg up? But anyway, not surprised that OS looks more interested in this than SC even with worse reviews. 

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The winner on Saturday...https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-box-office-1234868870/

"What of Netflix’s Red Notice? While rival distributors can’t see ticket sales for the film in ComScore, the other ways and other means of figuring out what this Dwayne Johnson-Gal Gadot-Ryan Reynolds $200M action film made at 750 locations. We’re hearing the movie had a great Saturday night (for a Netflix movie) and is approaching $1.25M in monitored theaters. Other sources have floated a $1.5M three-day to me, which is possible, but the lower number is more reasonable."

Not too bad all things considered. Wonder if they'll release any info for Tick, Tick...Boom! next weekend (it's also opening at Cinemark ahead of its streaming release the following week).

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This is crazy. Unless BOM stopped updating SC OS numbers, Eternals matched SC's lifetime gross in Korea in 3 days or so. Perhaps the presence of a Korean actor gave Eternals a leg up? But anyway, not surprised that OS looks more interested in this than SC even with worse reviews. 

Not really that crazy, given how Korea feels about China and Chinese heavy iconography.