Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

So are we out of the pandemic yet @VenomXXR ?  Because the way i see it another MCU movie is about to do $400M maybe worldwide when the floor used to be $700-800M+

If the floor was that high then AM&TW wouldn't have made $619M with China. 

No we aren't "out" of the pandemic. The pandemic is still affecting domestic box office about 10-15% on these MCU films as I've said before. I've also said I don't keep track of OS COVID related stuff. 

BW had Premier Acces + No China. 
SC, despite great WOM after the fact, was an Ant-Man level film globally (and again no China)
Eternals at the end of the day has lackluster WOM and again no China. 

NWH will do over $1B worldwide. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

you seem to forget that 210 mill of these are from china a market where eternals wont hit, a fair comparison would be fast 9-china vs eternals, where their total will be close

Not sure executives look at it that way..    otherwise WB could have touted the 1st SS as a "billion dollar movie if it hit China" etc.. 

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

minus China from that, F9 won't be much ahead from Eternals opening wise. A slightly better reception from GA, it could have taken down F9 INT-China.

Yes, and a better reception to F9 would have meant even better numbers for it. I don't see the point in arguing what could have been. The reality is what it is. It's not like Eternals is a bomb. But comparing it to F9 and saying they are the same is absurd. For FF the DOM numbers are never the key.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Right but you could throw in another $100M or so from China and still be well short of what they used to do.  For the record,  i do believe that Spider-Man will be a huge event film and the 1st to cross $1 billion since 2019. 

me too. F9 and NTTD came close enough (F9 700M+ and NTTD is eying that range). So NWH should add less than 300M WW to that assuming it's getting China release. FFH didn't cross 1B w/o China (932M). 

2 minutes ago, James said:

Yes, and a better reception to F9 would have meant even better numbers for it. I don't see the point in arguing what could have been. The reality is what it is. It's not like Eternals is a bomb. But comparing it to F9 and saying they are the same is absurd. For FF the DOM numbers are never the key.

The comp is off because when F9 was released there were less theaters open as well.  There's more theaters open now than May/June

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wow, still no Eternals number? Not an encouraging sign. It's probably sub-70.

um , not really there isnt really a patter in terms of releasing data if my memory serves.

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

... and?

They're not being homophobic. These countries have a culture of not showing intimate scenes at all, so they're cutting everything including heterosexual relationships.

They're not showing the movie in any country that request cuts of the gay scenes alone.

just showing that Disney is already having a meltdown

Earlier this year, she told IndieWire, “I don’t know all the details, but I do believe discussions were had and there’s a big desire for Marvel and myself – we talked about this – to not change the cut of the movie.”

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/new-movies/angelina-jolie-reacts-to-eternals-ban-over-gay-scenes/news-story/f994167f8b88f500f53af40ec551ae4d

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

Adding $300M from China would placed it over F9 but release date is yet to be announced.

which is why NTTD's Eurocentrism proved an asset. No "will they won't they" release it like China. Money keep pouring in even if it flops in China where Bond was never big.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, James said:

F9 legs and stuff were better than normal Fast movie, say it due to lack of competition or may be the target audience just enjoys what they saw. Point being Fast films aren't that big anymore as FF8 and F7 projected.

Eternals on other hand is first MCU movie to not have Disney+ PA and had actual prospects to work overseas, but rare bad reception hit it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

which is why NTTD's Eurocentrism proved an asset. No "will they won't they" release it like China. Money keep pouring in even if it flops in China where Bond was never big.

It will be interesting, now that China has put so many more hurdles and uncertainty into getting movies released this year...their money may not be as avidly sought for big blockbusters in the future...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

F9 legs and stuff were better than normal Fast movie, say it due to lack of competition or may be the target audience just enjoys what they saw. Point being Fast films aren't that big anymore as FF8 and F7 projected.

Eternals on other hand is first MCU movie to not have Disney+ PA and had actual prospects to work overseas, but rare bad reception hit it.

its os reception seem to be more mixed-positive than negative to be honest

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But it did needed that $50M in China to get over F9, without that it would have remained under.